Hand shake or subject moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheek

Jan 16, 2004
I know this sounds dumb but let's say out of 20 pics I take, about 8 or 10 of them come out blurred while the rest are in focus, how do I know whether it was due to handshakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was moving?

I mean if you are taking a photo of a person & he stands still to pose for you, then I would ASSUME that a blurred photo means shakes/vibration. Can't be that he's moving 'cos he's frozen there for you!

But if the ppl are moving e.g. models walking on a stage or performers doing their stuff outside Ngee Ann City. Then how do I know if a blurred photo is due to shakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was in motion? If I'm not wrong, when your subject is in motion (esp when they're fast e.g. a dancer on stage) it results in blurred photos.

Just wanna know how I can differentiate when a blur was caused by this & when it was caused by that. Thanks!

wheek said:
I know this sounds dumb but let's say out of 20 pics I take, about 8 or 10 of them come out blurred while the rest are in focus, how do I know whether it was due to handshakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was moving?

I mean if you are taking a photo of a person & he stands still to pose for you, then I would ASSUME that a blurred photo means shakes/vibration. Can't be that he's moving 'cos he's frozen there for you!

But if the ppl are moving e.g. models walking on a stage or performers doing their stuff outside Ngee Ann City. Then how do I know if a blurred photo is due to shakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was in motion? If I'm not wrong, when your subject is in motion (esp when they're fast e.g. a dancer on stage) it results in blurred photos.

Just wanna know how I can differentiate when a blur was caused by this & when it was caused by that. Thanks!

could be due to handshakes.. people could give postive comments if you post few pix
moving object is blurr..:think: what is ur shutter speed?

Use some software such as Opanda to check the photo details or the Exif data for the shutter speed and focal length. If shutter speed is slower than 1/focal length, possibility of hand shake.

In any case, if you are taking models or performers in those Roadshow, try to use a faster shutter speed to avoid the problem, if not, use a tripod.

lenzz said:
could be due to handshakes.. people could give postive comments if you post few pix
moving object is blurr..:think: what is ur shutter speed?
How to check sia? Paiseh, total noob. I just got the Ixus 400 & used it like that. Everything set to auto. Ok will post pics in a minute.

mk8rr.jpg

Here's one taken at 3x optical. They weren't moving about too quickly as they were chatting.

Also 3x optical. They were moving a bit quicker in this one. Kinda prancing around while dancing. But not what I would consider fast movements like fast dance or what.

Francis247 said:
Use some software such as Opanda to check the photo details or the Exif data for the shutter speed and focal length. If shutter speed is slower than 1/focal length, possibility of hand shake.

In any case, if you are taking models or performers in those Roadshow, try to use a faster shutter speed to avoid the problem, if not, use a tripod.
Typically what speed would be good for like roadshows?

wheek said:
How to check sia? Paiseh, total noob. I just got the Ixus 400 & used it like that. Everything set to auto. Ok will post pics in a minute.

You can follow this link to download iExif from Opanda. If not, if you are using Windows XP, right click on the photo and go to properties. It will show you the details.

the stage background also blur so means u move/handshake also.

Francis247 said:
You can follow this link to download iExif from Opanda. If not, if you are using Windows XP, right click on the photo and go to properties. It will show you the details.
Right click didn't show details like shutter speed leh. Anyway, I just checked, apparently since the cam's on auto setting, I can't even select an ISO speed. Only when set to manual then can change. And mine's auto all the way.

wheek said:
Typically what speed would be good for like roadshows?

If possible, try to use a 3 digit shutter speed to avoid hand shake and subject shake.

Anyway, the data shows that

Focal length = 22mm
Aperture = f/4.5
Shutter Speed = 1/80s

Which should not be hand shake, but that is only a rule of thumb. My suggestion is to use a much faster shutter speed.

benedium said:
the stage background also blur so means u move/handshake also.
So if the stage background is clear but only the ppl blur that means its due to the fact that they were moving too fast? Nothing to do with handshakes then?

From e 2 pics, I can safely say dat itz mainly due handshake.

Y? Coz e whole image is blur from centre to side. If itz due to moving subject, I reckon some part of e pics shud b in focus...

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

wheek said:
Right click didn't show details like shutter speed leh. Anyway, I just checked, apparently since the cam's on auto setting, I can't even select an ISO speed. Only when set to manual then can change. And mine's auto all the way.

Couldn't be, I just check using my Windows XP, did you click the Summary tab?

Francis247 said:
If possible, try to use a 3 digit shutter speed to avoid hand shake and subject shake.

Anyway, the data shows that

Focal length = 22mm
Aperture = f/4.5
Shutter Speed = 1/80s

Which should not be hand shake, but that is only a rule of thumb. My suggestion is to use a much faster shutter speed.
So you feel that its NOT due to handshakes but shutter speed too low? Is shutter speed same as ISO? Because I only recall seeing ISO settings in my cam. Hmm all along I set to auto & as a result can't change any setting 'cos its all auto. If what you say is true, I guess must use manual now & increase ISO speed.

wheek said:
So if the stage background is clear but only the ppl blur that means its due to the fact that they were moving too fast? Nothing to do with handshakes then?

Yap. That is right, stationary object will be in focus even if subject shake occurs.

Even though shutter speed appears to be faster than 1/focal length, the pictures clearly suffered from severe handshake.

The words on the stationery background are having blurred edges, indicating that there was very severe handshake.

Warning : The above may not be 100% correct.

Francis247 said:
Couldn't be, I just check using my Windows XP, did you click the Summary tab?
Ah, I didn't go under Advanced. Silly me. Anyway, so the landscape pic was 1/80 while the portrait one was 1/60. As mentioned, I set to auto which would explain why 2 pics taken at same day got diff speed.

wheek said:

1) Right-click on e pic
2) Click on Properties
3) Click one Summary tab
4) Click on e Advance tab

wheek said:
So you feel that its NOT due to handshakes but shutter speed too low? Is shutter speed same as ISO? Because I only recall seeing ISO settings in my cam. Hmm all along I set to auto & as a result can't change any setting 'cos its all auto. If what you say is true, I guess must use manual now & increase ISO speed.

ISO speed is not the same as shutter speed. Please follow this link to understand about ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed.

As for your case, even though the rule of thumb is satisfied, but it is quite obvious that your hand shake because the stationary backstage seems blur also.

Status
Not open for further replies.