Hand Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost77

May 7, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I have a friend who is working in this "big" organisation. He is doing the technical support where he will be activate anytime when the users need help. He used to carry a pager provided by the company and he was easily reached.
Few years later, hand phone took over the position of the pager and the pager slowly dies off. His company decided to terminate the paging system so my friend has no way in contacting him if he is not in his desk.
Later, his company required my friend to release his hand phone number so that he could be reached anytime. This hand phone is his own personal use and the bill is paid by him. Now the company trying to save cost so it wants to make use of his hand phone so that the company can reach him anytime.

Question:
1) Most of the staff are not happy with this idea but most of them finally release their hand phone number. The reason is "no choice". What will you do if this thing happen to you?:angry:

You don't have to answer your handphone if the company calls. If they ask "Why didn't you pick up..." I am sure we could come up with lots of excuses...

1) Was watching movie. It would've been terribly rude.
2) Visiting a friend in hospital...handphones not allowed
3) Swimming
4) Driving and no company bluetooth headset

I experienced this in my last company. I just don't pick up the calls, answer the SMSes and made it very clear that my phone is for private usage(s) and will not be used for work purposes unless the company intends to pay for it.

Of course, I also made it very hard and steadfast clear to my team lead, and also snr proj. manager of this issue. After which, only when they're desperate they would try to contact me via my HP, and they would not just throw my number around whoever needed to contact me.

Steadfast. Don't pick up if it's a company number, I will, only if it's urgent and my ex-ex-ex-team lead in my last company only smses/calls me if it's very urgent. The new team-lead just attempts to abuse it frequently. He got a scolding from me. :sticktong

In fact, I never released my HP no to office(s) or even the SAF. Whenever office/SAF asks me to update my particulars, I leave out my email and handphone. Heck, they want to contact me, they PAY for it!

And currently, my office is paying for it, so I release the number to them ;p

ghost77 said:
Question:
1) Most of the staff are not happy with this idea but most of them finally release their hand phone number. The reason is "no choice". What will you do if this thing happen to you?:angry:

Even if the company reimburse, you still can chose not to answer the phone.
Your private life is belong to you not company.

I never give my details to SAF for the pass 13 yrs . :sweatsm:

Well. I think it is ok to give my personal HP number to company.

If they want to call me at night also can. I am going overseas, company call, just pick up and answer.

At cinema or church, use silent mode :nono: . Call them later afterthat also no problem.

I pay my HP with the salary from company. They will not call me if nothing important. Or do you want to reject call if your boss want to say "happy birthday" on your birthday?.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
I pay my HP with the salary from company. They will not call me if nothing important. Or do you want to reject call if your boss want to say "happy birthday" on your birthday?.
Salary is paid to you for the work you put in, not the number of phone calls you receive from company.

And for the record, my past 5 jobs, no boss ever wishes me happy birthday. So don't think there's a boss out there that will. Maybe 5%. But very rare.

espn said:
And for the record, my past 5 jobs, no boss ever wishes me happy birthday. So don't think there's a boss out there that will. Maybe 5%. But very rare.

kekekekek did you call you team member at work. ;) :bheart: :lovegrin:

If need to I keep those calling card number to my company.

espn said:
Salary is paid to you for the work you put in, not the number of phone calls you receive from company.

Incoming free call :bsmilie: . But often my jobs are finished faster because my boss or college call me outside office hour. It is about attitude I think ;) .

I never think about reward of doing that, but my bonus is awesome.... ha....

Regards,
Arto.

longkangman said:
kekekekek did you call you team member at work. ;) :bheart: :lovegrin:

If need to I keep those calling card number to my company.
Siao... I don't call them unless I wanna ask them go makan or go out ... :bsmilie: There's office phone for that matter, ya? :bsmilie:

I make good use of my direct line in camp when my boss isnt around :bsmilie:

In fact, the company asked my friend to divert his office line to his hand phone for easy contact. I know there is so-called incoming free for all the line. But I personally think that it is still our personal line and we decide what to do with our own private line.
If I were my friend, I will say ok with the company and whether or not I want to divert my call is up to me.

ghost77 said:
In fact, the company asked my friend to divert his office line to his hand phone for easy contact. I know there is so-called incoming free for all the line. But I personally think that it is still our personal line and we decide what to do with our own private line.
If I were my friend, I will say ok with the company and whether or not I want to divert my call is up to me.

Its is not fair, not right even, but it also boils down to one thing.....how bad do you need the job.....Life is all about availability of choices

I sounded him off a few times for calling me on my HP for non important issues. If its urgent, I feel its ok.

My company pager is diverted to my handphone at company expense ($1/mth) HP bill is personal though.

Nikonnew said:
Its is not fair, not right even, but it also boils down to one thing.....how bad do you need the job.....Life is all about availability of choices

how bad do you need the job?
Good question. Singaporeans have this problem, especially when they are over 40 years old. How bad they wanted to keep their job? The company knows this weak point and it attack from there. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.