Hand on! Tamron 28-75mm f 2.8 for Sony E mount ( focus and samples with a7iii)

For portraits, how's the bokeh and sharpness at 75mm F2.8 compared to say Distagon at 35mm F1.4?

I've owned the FE35mmf1.4. Great lens, sharp and nice bokeh. I have not tried the Tamron. My guess, and only a guess, is that at 35mm f2.8, both are sharp, with the 35mm perhaps sharper at the edges. But lenses are more than sharpness and bokeh. And 35mm is not good for portraits. Perhaps you should consider the Sony FE85f1.8 for portraits. It's about S$800.

By the way, the Tamron is over-priced here at $1499 list while it is USD799 or S$1,100+7% GST i.e. $1,177.

I've owned the FE35mmf1.4. Great lens, sharp and nice bokeh. I have not tried the Tamron. My guess, and only a guess, is that at 35mm f2.8, both are sharp, with the 35mm perhaps sharper at the edges. But lenses are more than sharpness and bokeh. And 35mm is not good for portraits. Perhaps you should consider the Sony FE85f1.8 for portraits. It's about S$800.

By the way, the Tamron is over-priced here at $1499 list while it is USD799 or S$1,100+7% GST i.e. $1,177.

Thanks for your comments. I am actually looking for one that could cater to street photography as well, capturing the background bokeh while focusing on the subject. Depending on the distance with the background, I might be using F1.8-2.8 most of the time. Zeiss Distagon is really nice but too costly for me. I am actually looking at Sigma Art 35mm F1.4. Judging from the reviews, it performs well in comparison with the Zeiss.

For portraits, so far I am happy with the 55mm F1.8. Very sharp lens and will be in my collection for some time.

Yeah it’s obscene.... go JB .... there selling @ RM3250

Reactions: ziggy
I shoot mostly low light street. Very seldom do I shoot anything wider than f4 even with my GM24-70 or 50mmf1.4 unless stationary objects. You will need DOF to account for focusing errors, get more details sharp. But if you must have bokeh, then you need fast lenses.

35mm is a decent focal length for street, not so much for portraits. I prefer 50mm. Just bear in mind that both the Sigma and Zeiss 35f1.4 are big and heavy, and expensive. I would get the Tamron first as it's a bit more flexible. Or the Sony FE 24-105f4 as it's wider and longer and good compromise of speed and flexibility.

Thanks Ziggy. I am not too crazy about bokeh although its a nice bonus. I am using 55 F1.8 for that and so far I am very pleased with it. Most probably I will be getting the Tamron as at 75mm F2.8, it could make a decent "portrait" lens.