Hand holding 150mm Macro and above

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudon

Jun 22, 2005
www.chiaroscurist.com
Hi all,

I was reading the macro lens discussion with great interest. I have been thinking about getting the sigma 150mm Macro. Looks like a great lens and as expensive as 1st party.

I know macro photography usually is done with a tripod (or monopod) but due to reasons i wont get into, i will find myself in a situation where i will be hand holding my macro lens alot. Due to the focal length (150mm and above) I am concerned on the resulting sharpness of the images.

Does anyone have any experience to share on hand holding a 150mm or longer lens for macro shots? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Eudon

Hmmm the longer the focal, the longer the barrel, the shake is more intensified actually, best advise is still a tripod/monopod.

I noticed I cannot hold still a 105mm at 1/125 f/8.

thanks ESPN!

Was very interesting to read your experience at 1/125th. It would also be interesting to know what speed would you be comfortable with if you had to hand hold your 105mm?

Eudon

I think a comfortable range would be 1/200 or so... but that would mean if the camera cannot sustain the flash sync speed, then it's not possible anymore.

if you have good weather it shouldn't be a prob

DSC_2325e.jpg

Sigma 70-300
300mm handheld.
f/16.0
1/250

DSC_1814.jpg

Sigma 7-300
300mm handheld
f/8.0
1/200

depends very much on the individual though. the 1/focal length rule is just a guide.
The difficulty increases as I were chasing these butterflies around and panting.
If you have 8 hours and $20 to spare I can teach you how to add a stabliser to almost any lens you have :D

yanyewkay said:
if you have good weather it shouldn't be a prob

DSC_2325e.jpg

Sigma 70-300
300mm handheld.
f/16.0
1/250
Try it on a D2X/D200 then you'll know what I mean :sticktong

espn said:
Try it on a D2X/D200 then you'll know what I mean :sticktong
heheh luckily those are out of my reach so I can still get away with it :bsmilie:

It's should be easier to handhold with the 150mm but you'll need to use a flash unit.

I do handhold using my 180mm with SB800 sometime n it gives me great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.