Hand Carry Check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex13717421

Aug 1, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hello, did a search here and nothing showed up so i'm starting a new thread.

I've never traveled with a full camera set up before, but in 16 hours, i'll be going to Europe for a year to study. With that i'm bringing pretty much all my camera stuff. It weights about 7kg in a beltpack. I also will be carrying a backpack with 2 laptops and external hard disk and other stuff. Which will be rather weighty.

Could i get some assurance/shared experienced from frequent fliers, do the airlines get anal and charge you extra for overweight handcarry? I'm flying emirates and they specified 7kg hand carry only... and thats already my camera bag weight. I'm rather concerned that I'd have to pay 400-500 more SG$ for the overweight charge, and i'm a poor student.

I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers~

My experience: depends on the airport and the airline.
Sometimes Cathay Pacific weigh the hand luggage. Sometimes T3 not weigh hand luggage.

But my observations is: go check in early. 2.5 hours is good. Usually they not care too much for those check in early. Worst case, you still have sufficient time to repack your luggage, or ask your family member to bring home 1st.

Also, try to put external hard disk into check in luggage. It wont harm. Try to look for other less valuable / more shock resistant item to put in check in luggage.

Hello, did a search here and nothing showed up so i'm starting a new thread.

I've never traveled with a full camera set up before, but in 16 hours, i'll be going to Europe for a year to study. With that i'm bringing pretty much all my camera stuff. It weights about 7kg in a beltpack. I also will be carrying a backpack with 2 laptops and external hard disk and other stuff. Which will be rather weighty.

Could i get some assurance/shared experienced from frequent fliers, do the airlines get anal and charge you extra for overweight handcarry? I'm flying emirates and they specified 7kg hand carry only... and thats already my camera bag weight. I'm rather concerned that I'd have to pay 400-500 more SG$ for the overweight charge, and i'm a poor student.

I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers~
My dad's PPS member, and they have never charged him for hand-carry, that i can assure you.

My dad travels for weeks at a time, and his hand-carry baggage usually exceeds his normal 7Kg but i have never seen airline charging for hand-carry...

Emirates is a 5-star skytrax airline, my guesses are that they will not charge extra for hand carry luggage, but for check-in they definitely will if it exceeds by like 5KG or more.

for SQ i can assure you, for emirates i can only say as much as hopeful.

maybe some emirates skywards member can clarify here?

Some airlines don't really take into account notebook computers as long as you don't carry like 10 of them....you have 2 :( Best of luck, both in your studies and your hand luggage :)

I travel SQ mainly. If you arrive early, and be nice, let them know you have a laptop and camera which you rather not check in, they are usually fine.

I have carried on board 20kg worth of such items.

I cannot speak for other airlines.

Remember to any other airlines, you are just another passenger, from whom they can make money.

Every excess kg is money to be made.

Cheers

i travelled on Emirates twice from SG... i dont hand carry heavy stuffs, but I did witness once (out of the 2 times hahahahahaha!) when they requested to weigh hand carry bags. really depends on your luck

Thanks sharing. I'll shall be going tomorrow VERY VERY early so i have time to reorganize my bags if need be .. >.< die la .haha

jus try to gt all into a bag pack.. they usually wont bother on e weight of e bag..laptops 'll be a problem..u need to take them out of ur bag when they scan ur bag(packing problems the taking out n putting back when u have alot of things in ur bag)..do u really need 2 laptops?(jus wondering)

sorry to hijack your thread! i'm going sweden this saturday, can i carry my sling camera bag and also my backpack?? will it be troublesome onboard?? sorry i've never brought my camera set up overseas before. and also, for tripod can i put in my luggage?

i think the issue is they scared if the bags fall down from the top compartement and hit anybody. so they limit one bag to 7kgs, to prevent worse damage.

if you have seperate bags and each weight not more than 7kgs. i think you should be able to carry them on board

sorry to hijack your thread! i'm going sweden this saturday, can i carry my sling camera bag and also my backpack?? will it be troublesome onboard?? sorry i've never brought my camera set up overseas before. and also, for tripod can i put in my luggage?

no, i have never encountered such problem.

i leave one back under the seat infront of me, and one in the overhead compartment.

should be ok.

haha. ok, flight in 6 hours... still trying to squeeze my German-English dictionary into my bag... AHHH.

Haha . I'm actually handcarrying in the outback 200 (for camera gear) and a Rover Plus AW for laptops / jacket and change of clothes. Die la, Rover Plus AW so big... later cannot use as hand carry -_-

where to get this outback 200? is it available in CP?

Carry your laptop in a separate laptop case. Laptop is a personal item and not included in the 7KGS limit. But you do have to carry it outside your handcarry bag. Thing is most airlines only allow ONE personal item, be it a laptop, a camera with lens or a ladies handbag (for ladies only). So with 2, you are really stretching it. And why 2 laptops?? Man, shoulder is so gonna hurt when you finally settle down in Europe.

Camera bag as personal item can ar? HAHA. If like that i don't mind. My backpack only got laptop and other electronics inside.

i got a Inverse 200 last Saturday but it seems like the bag cannot take the weight of a 50D + 24-70.. i was also thinking of putting a 70-200 in the bag but i doubt the Inverse 200 can take the load though.. all these equipment will be brought along during my travels..

how much is the outback 200?

Status
Not open for further replies.