Halo Everybody, i'm new & Need advice for new camera!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranran

Feb 5, 2005
punggol
Hi guys and gals.. My name's ran, 25 and am new to this forum... :)

Anyway, i have a huge interest in photography and would like to pick up the art and fun of the whole experience..

I need some advice on which camera should a novice like myself get that'll allow me adequate room to explore .. i am thinking of something that'll allow me to play with explosure and shutter speed. :)

My budget is about $1000 but am lost with the large range of digital cameras around

i am also not sure if i should start attending photography courses so that i would have some basic knoledge first or that i should get a camera to play around in order to appreciate the photography courses more..

Can some kind souls plssss advice? :)

thanks ya!! :D

ranran said:
Hi guys and gals.. My name's ran, 25 and am new to this forum... :)

Anyway, i have a huge interest in photography and would like to pick up the art and fun of the whole experience..

I need some advice on which camera should a novice like myself get that'll allow me adequate room to explore .. i am thinking of something that'll allow me to play with explosure and shutter speed. :)

My budget is about $1000 but am lost with the large range of digital cameras around

i am also not sure if i should start attending photography courses so that i would have some basic knoledge first or that i should get a camera to play around in order to appreciate the photography courses more..

Can some kind souls plssss advice? :)

thanks ya!! :D

With this kinda budget, perhaps you could consider the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20. Heard good reviews about this cam. www.dpreview.com
For a start, you need to practice a lot and learn along the way. Hook up with any of the group outings and pick up skills from the more experienced users. The more you practice, the faster you learn from the mistakes made. Also, spend some time viewing photos around here.

snowspeeder said:
With this kinda budget, perhaps you could consider the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20. Heard good reviews about this cam. www.dpreview.com
For a start, you need to practice a lot and learn along the way. Hook up with any of the group outings and pick up skills from the more experienced users. The more you practice, the faster you learn from the mistakes made. Also, spend some time viewing photos around here.

Hey thanks snowspeeder, seems like a useful site with the reviews.. :) i'll be looking!

Perhaps you may want to get a good second hand DSLR. Browse the buy & sell forum and you may find a good Canon 300D for around $1000 or less.

i would suggest u go for some 2nd hand prosumer camera. WIth addition accessories like batteries,memory card etc. These might adds up to $1000.

Canon A series will give you a lot of room to explore and at the same time you will be well safe within your budget.

:)

I'd say for $1000 go for a 2nd hand 300D. The lenses and external flash you buy for it can still be used when you upgrade the camera body later.

I agree, with 1k I think you'll be happier getting a 2nd hand DSLR. I saw some nice 2nd hand Fuji S1, 300D, etc around that price, but again you can afford 1k, why not stretch your budget a little for a new DSLR. It's for long term, and I'm sure you won't regret it.

maybe get the A series(i m selling an A80!!!) haha

and spend the rest of the cash on a SLCC course?

Get a used DSLR and shoot first, read up on photography
After that when/if you decide to enrol yourself for a course
you would have a basic understanding about photography
and will benifit from the course

BTW welcome to ClubSnap

From the inputs and reviews so far, my heart goes out to canon models.. and will probably settle for a 2nd hand one .. hee hee.. urmmm.. but can someone pls explain whats with the A series or D series (300D is D series?)? Do they represent cameras that surfaced in certain years or were there significant function differennces??? :what:

Then there is another problem... how would i know if the camera is functioning properly? i mean.. what should i be checking for besides the lens, flash ect...

My common sense tells me to check for cracks, fungus growth, bluring in the lens, trapped moist but my gut feel is that there are much more to look out for... :embrass: any other particular thing i could do to see that i am not ripped off with a defective set? :)

Thanks

Theres the IXUS series, compact yet stylish point & shoot (p&s) cameras. Then theres the Powershot 'A' series which are compacts with several manual/creative modes. Then theres the 'G' series which are targeted at prosumers, you can also attach external flashes (Speedlites). Then theres the Powershot Pro1, which looks like a dSLR but isn't one, although the photo quality is quite good. Then theres the EOS series, targeted at professionals. The 300D, 10D, 20D etc. fall into the EOS cat.

You might want to check for focusing, stuff like that. And after you buy the body/kit lens theres still a lot of stuff to buy. Haha. Can read up the Canon EOS Newbie guide in the Canon forums. Have fun!

Some tips to start off for people wanting to get second-hand stuff...

(1) Find equipment in which the seller is willing to impart information with regards to the item he's selling. If the seller is able to tell you to the most minute of details, like some cosmetic scratch on the surface of the camera, or some brassing marks at the base of the camera, then probably the seller is not out to con people.

(2) Ask a lot of question, in fact any question that you have in mind with regards to the equipment. If the seller is not willing to answer, why risk your hard earn money?

(3) Do a lot of research on what's the current market rate is like for the equipment.

Another thing that you ought to do, is to go and try different models of camera first, before you decide on what you want to get. SEED is a good way for you to know people, to gather information, as well as trying out some of the latest gadgets that some guy might be bringing then. :D

Anyway, welcome to ClubSNAP!

you can join photoshoots to see what other people are using and find out from them what they think about their stuff, I am sure that they will be glad to talk about thier toys, ( I would :) )

ortega said:
Get a used DSLR and shoot first, read up on photography
After that when/if you decide to enrol yourself for a course
you would have a basic understanding about photography
and will benifit from the course

BTW welcome to ClubSnap

HI,, Why dun u join the Ponggol clubsnappers. Ortega, poohbear eikin etc are all in Ponggol or somewhere nearby.

Since you have a srong desire to pursue this hobby, perhaps the DSLR types is the way to go.

I don't think telling him to get a used DSLR is a good way to start because the starting price is a killer, when you add the lens, flash, tripod for supporting the camera, bag, flash card...

I agree with most of you that stretching the budget a little for a new DSLR may be a better option. most of them come with a 3x zoom kit lens to help you get going. I personally, recommend the Nikon D70 as it seems to have out perform it other rivals in its price range. It's about $1800 for the kit, go shop around.

I feel that canon A series like A80 is good enough for a start. Ixus(l have 1) looks cool...but function wise... I always look at my friends A80 and sigh... so much more functions and control at a lower price!!!!! :cry:

DSLR is the way to go if u can double ur budget...but then again then initial spending of 1-2K will soon snowball to 3-4K or more if u get the buy buy buy syndrome.

So to be on the safe side, stick to a prosumer or consumer digicam for a start. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.