[Hak] Mount Rinjani, July 2014

hakhak

Sep 13, 2009
Simei
Here's a thread to share some of my photos from a 4D3N trek at Mount Rinjani, Lombok, Indonesia with a few other photographer friends of mine.

For those who are interested, our itinerary roughly goes like this:

Day 1
Our journey to the starting point started with a 4am shuttle bus ride from Kranji MRT to Senai Airport, then an AirAsia flight to Lombok Airport, and a 3 hour car ride to Senaru for lunch and briefing, and the trek begins...
Sembalun Village (1051m)
-2 hours trek up-
Pos 1 (1300m)
-1 hour trek up-
Pos 2 (1500m)

Day 2
-1 hour trek up-
Pos 3 (1800m)
-3 hours trek up-
Sembalun Crater Rim (2639m)

Day 3
Starting from 2am...
-3.5 hours trek up-
Rinjani Summit (3726m)
-1 hour trek down-
Sembalun Crater Rim
-3 hours trek down-
Segara Anak Lake (2008m)
-3 hours trek up-
Senaru Crater Rim (2641m)

Day 4
-5 hours trek down-
Senaru Village (601m)

We did this trek with RudyTrekkers, for USD310/pax, includes the awesome guides and porters, all food and water, tents, mattress, sleeping bags etc.

Gears used for this trip:
Canon EOS 6D
Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II
Canon 40mm f2.8
Canon 85mm f1.8

The recommended maximum load to bring was 6kg, but most of us exceeded it significantly. Mine was slightly more than 10kg I think.
If you are considering to trek here, I suggest that you have sufficient physical training and pack light. Feel free to PM me for more information.

If you are interested, you can visit my other Landscape/Travel threads here:
- Central Java
- Singapore
- Iceland
- Paris

The photos here will be posted in no particular order. Here's one taken before sunrise on Day 2, of our cosy tent that we slept in for 3 nights. At 1500m above sea level, we were still below most clouds. Since the previous night was cloudy, we rested early and some of us decided to wake up at 4am as the skies here are usually clearer in the mornings. This photo consists of 74 30s-exposures for the star trails just before the sun rose. While processing this photo, I realised that there was actually a group of people trekking the hill at the right side of the photo, forming a light trail along the outline.

Camping here for more. Great shot.

Awesome star trail. Outstanding and I really looking forward for more. How do you like the trekking done up the peak?

I did Mount Rinjani Ultra (http://www.mtrinjaniultra.com/index.php/course) event there last year and it was crazy. Start from Senaru (600m) up to the Rinjani peak (3726m) via Anak Leak and Sembalun. It took me nearly 9 hrs to reach the peak but failed to return back to Senaru after the descent to Tengengean due to the heat and mental gave up.

Camping here for more. Great shot.

Makes two of us :)

Thanks guys, hope I don't disappoint. Don't expect too many photos though, I realise some of my photos could have been shot better, but I was probably too exhausted then to think and shoot properly.

Awesome star trail. Outstanding and I really looking forward for more. How do you like the trekking done up the peak?

I did Mount Rinjani Ultra (http://www.mtrinjaniultra.com/index.php/course) event there last year and it was crazy. Start from Senaru (600m) up to the Rinjani peak (3726m) via Anak Leak and Sembalun. It took me nearly 9 hrs to reach the peak but failed to return back to Senaru after the descent to Tengengean due to the heat and mental gave up.

Thanks soulFLY! The last stretch to the peak was still manageable, I expected much worse. Just that I felt freezing cold at the summit as my t-shirt beneath my jacket was soaked with perspiration.
Wow you attempted the Ultra? I think to get up there in 9 hours should already be an achievement. Going to attempt again this year? :)

On Day 2, We ended our trek early at Sembalun Crater Rim to prepare for the summit climb that night. At 2639m high, we were camping above the clouds. While waiting for sunset, our view was often blocked by the fast moving clouds around us. This was shot when we finally had a clear view of the mountains and sun. Another camper was shooting this scene and I decided to include him in my frame.

Sunset, Senaru Crater Rim

After more than 10 hours worth of trekking starting from 1.30am, our exhausted and aching legs finally brought us to the crater rim where we were greeted by a spectacular sunset. Luckily we weren't too late!

Fantastic images! I am planning to go there next yr May.
Yr thread will be useful for reference if you don't mind?
Hope to see more of yr works :)

Fantastic images! I am planning to go there next yr May.
Yr thread will be useful for reference if you don't mind?
Hope to see more of yr works :)

Thanks Zig Ziggler! Sure, let me know if you need any other information. :)

Milkybow

Thanks to the fatigue after more than 10 hours of trekking in a day, I quickly took some night shots and this pano (which itself took about 10 mins) before my body finally gave up and I went back to the tent to sleep. As a result, I didn't check the photos to realise that a significant amount of the Milky Way was chopped off. The limited space at the campsite also meant that I had little space to find a better angle.

can i ask if your 10kg included your clothing, personal belongings etc? or just that camera gear?

Very beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, glad you like them!

sharing your works in the Clubsnap Photography Community FB page

keep up the good work!!

https://www.facebook.com/ClubSNAP.Community

Thanks for sharing! :D

can i ask if your 10kg included your clothing, personal belongings etc? or just that camera gear?

10kg is total, including the weight of the bag, water, jacket etc. Camera gears including tripod weigh about 3-4kg.

Milkybow

Thanks to the fatigue after more than 10 hours of trekking in a day, I quickly took some night shots and this pano (which itself took about 10 mins) before my body finally gave up and I went back to the tent to sleep. As a result, I didn't check the photos to realise that a significant amount of the Milky Way was chopped off. The limited space at the campsite also meant that I had little space to find a better angle.

Nice work!

The Descent

After watching the sunrise at the summit, it was time to descend the steep, rocky slope, which turned out to be a very dusty affair.