Haji Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

entered2exit

Dec 20, 2008
IMG_8415.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition of the photograph.
This photograph was taken with the shutter speed 1/200, and aperture 3.5. What would be the ideal settings to make the picture(especially the colour) stand out more?

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This is generally a landscape shot. i hope to capture old and solemn effect of the buildings.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken just before it was about to rain.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, i like how the buildings sets out equally on the two sides, which makes people focus on the road in the center. I feel that it would have been better if the two trucks were not in the way, and i could capture the guy walking walking in the middle of the road.

I wanted to point out that the picture would be better without the trucks too, and hopefully without the people at the side too.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition of the photograph.
This photograph was taken with the shutter speed 1/200, and aperture 3.5. What would be the ideal settings to make the picture(especially the colour) stand out more?

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken just before it was about to rain.

No sun = dull colours. Changing settings won't help. Changing light will.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This is generally a landscape shot. i hope to capture old and solemn effect of the buildings.

You contradict yourself, sir. You want to bring out the colour and yet make it look solemn the same time? Perhaps you want to compare the pre-renovated vs renovated shophouses side by side?

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, i like how the buildings sets out equally on the two sides, which makes people focus on the road in the center. I feel that it would have been better if the two trucks were not in the way, and i could capture the guy walking walking in the middle of the road.

Take it on a busy weekend with fashionably dressed people walking around to give the pic more life. A plain dresser is just... well... plain.

Symmetrical layout does not work well here due to messy layout. Focus more on one side of the lane to bring out the shops colours/illustrations.

the composition lacks a point of interest and depth
I would use a WA and choose a low POV, this will increase the perspective and give the viewer a POV that he/she does not normally see.

I would also include in the composition a foreground point of interest (in this case maybe a retro looking item) and a contrasting background (in this case maybe a modern looking building or cranes to show development)
the use of lines to draw the viewer to the background point of interest would also be good

I would choose a smaller aperture (eg f11 or f16) to make everything sharp
use a tripod

for colour, go back again and reshoot at a different time as the light there at the time you took this picture is very flat.

the inclusion of people is a good idea, but maybe you might want just a hint, so you could use a slower shutter speed to induce the people to be a shadow of movement

There are so many distracting elements in the picture that you can do away by choosing to shoot in the morning.

Not only that, the different quality in the light would have also help give the solemn mood that you want to evoke.

These are prewar shop houses. When the time is right, the Govt. will announce a redevelopment, this lane is not under historical reservation.

It is meant to be cluttered. I agree that the pic would be better wo the vans.

For good record purpose, it would be better to shoot the front facade of those shop which are still untouched by their new tenants.

All historical value will be covered up by those newly painted, retrofitted, plus those air-con compressor. Not to mention the units of refuse bins.

It's kind of a very short dead end street.
Also as you mentioned the focus is going to the street in the middle and there is no interesting subject on the street (something in the foreground would have worked very well).

If I was in your place, I would let go the perspective and capture the following:
1. Front view of the grafitti house on the left. Maybe use a wide angle and snap at a very low angle (almost street level).
2. People on the right side of the street (on chairs), if possible, I will go inside the corridor and shoot from a dark corner. Probably getting the silhouettes of people and war houses in background.

Just my 2¢ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.