Hairline scratches on filters question

gaoxing840

Jun 16, 2008
hi,

i just bought a 2nd hand tamron lens and UV filter was given too.

notice there's a few hairline scratches on the filter.

will it affect the overall image?

and if i am using square ND filter, should i remove the UV filter? it will be better then stacking right?

thanks!:)

hmm dont think it will affect iq

and yup 1 filter at a time

alright thanks man!

will replace filter when got money. haha

Throw the UV filter, learn to be careful. Don't stack filters, will only cause trouble.

It will not affect IQ most of the time if it's hairline. It may increase the chances of flaring, that's all, when there are concentrated sources of light shining on the filter (e.g. at night).

You can actually test that out pretty easily.

Step 1:

Set your camera on a tripod

Step 2:

Select and subject and shoot (with filter on)

Step 3:

remove the filter

Step 4:

Shoot the same subject again using the exact same setting as when you have filter on.

Step 5:

Carry on the experiment under different lighting (morning, afternoon, evening and night).

Then put these pics in your computer and check. There you will see if there is any issues, if don't have, then no need to bother with buying new filter or what.

If have issue, then throw the filter away and save up for new one.

And, yes, as other had advice, don't stack filters, it will degrade your image quality.

Just compare damages and actual impact on images: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
Get a lens hood, it's the better protector. Most knocks come from sideways, to the rim. Plastic hoods will catch the blow and distribute and absorb the energy. If plastic cracks it's easily replaces. Metal ring filter will not absorb anything but forward the energy to the lens element. There are other threads here asking about removing a cracked filter from the lens... Go and read, decide for yourself what makes more sense. Btw: have you seen any lens manufacturer recommending a certain filter brand? I wonder why :)

hi,

i just bought a 2nd hand tamron lens and UV filter was given too.

notice there's a few hairline scratches on the filter.

will it affect the overall image?

and if i am using square ND filter, should i remove the UV filter? it will be better then stacking right?

thanks!:)

I thought the best way is to find out yourself?!?! Start shooting and see the pictures yourself.