hai

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroasan

Jun 17, 2009
hi guise/ gals! signed up a while ago but i didnt really post, a friend poisoned me to get a dslr, fell in love with the images he took!
got back the urge to use my right index finger recently.
im currently looking into the D40. any opinions on the camera?

hobbies: guitar, drifting, jogging, yoyos, music and soon to be photography!

I would rather get D70s/D80... Auto focus on normal AFD lens is a must for me.

1. Have you done your research? Read reviews?
2. Have you compared it to the other cameras in the same budget range, such as the Sony A200?
3. Have you actually tried it and felt it in your hands?

1. Have you done your research? Read reviews?
2. Have you compared it to the other cameras in the same budget range, such as the Sony A200?
3. Have you actually tried it and felt it in your hands?

thanks for the replies!
1. i don't know if mr ken rockwell is a good source of info, but the review from him sounds good
2. nope. thanks for giving me a model for me to compare though :)
3. yes, im quite surprised by how light it is compared to the d90. i didnt expect it to be that small, but i can use it without any hesitation.

Ken Rockwell is a bit biased with regards to the D40, so you have to take his comments with a pinch of salt... :)
But all things considered, I do agree with him that the D40 is an excellent camera for a newbie, and even suitable for an experienced photog.
I don't want to start comparing with other makes, in case it starts a brand war.

I really feel it is very important to have the auto focus. Models like the D40, D60 cannot auto focus on lenses such as the 50mm F1.8
Newer lenses are being made with the motor. But it comes at a price :)

Ken Rockwell is a bit biased with regards to the D40, so you have to take his comments with a pinch of salt... :)
But all things considered, I do agree with him that the D40 is an excellent camera for a newbie, and even suitable for an experienced photog.
I don't want to start comparing with other makes, in case it starts a brand war.

its ok, would be great to hear the pros and cons from the sifus!

Last edited:
thanks for the replies!
1. i don't know if mr ken rockwell is a good source of info, but the review from him sounds good
2. nope. thanks for giving me a model for me to compare though :)
3. yes, im quite surprised by how light it is compared to the d90. i didnt expect it to be that small, but i can use it without any hesitation.

Ken Rockwell is known to be very biased...

Honestly, I would suggest you get a Sony A200 or A230. You get a higher resolution and a newer-generation Sony sensor (the D40 uses an out-of-production sony 6MP sensor), you get 9 autofocus points, Autofocus with all lenses, and built-in VR.

Why not you list down what you already know so far... Its not very nice to just ask for answers.
I've never used Sony, Pentax or Olympus so i won't give comments to them. But i have used canon, fuji and nikon. Fuji and nikon basically share the same body. For example the Fujifilm S5pro is using a D200 body. But the sensor everything is completely different. Canon i personally loved the feel of the 10D. The up to date version now would be the 50D i think. But i never liked their smaller range for example the 350, 450, etc... But after using both, i prefer the position of the nikon. That doesn't apply to the D50. I'm not sure if D40 or D60 has two dials. But those are some points that i look out for in a body.

Weight (i like it heavy)
Position of command dials
Built in autofocus
Built in CLS (nikon or fuji)
Prices of future equipment eg. Lens, Flash
Its very important that you look into all this as once you commit to canon, nikon, sony, etc your gona be with that manufacturer all the way :)
That is unless you sell off your whole system. All the best dude :)

hi guise/ gals! signed up a while ago but i didnt really post, a friend poisoned me to get a dslr, fell in love with the images he took!
got back the urge to use my right index finger recently.

hobbies: guitar, drifting, jogging, yoyos, music and soon to be photography!

I'm trying hard not to be biased here toward Nikon... :bsmilie:

TS, if you have no idea which models to get... I would recommend that you get some hands-on with the actual cameras. Quite a few photography shops would be most glad to get some for you to try - MS, CP, J316, etc...

Feeling comfortable with the camera in hand, I believe, is the 1st impt criteria you should take note of since it's going to be in your hands.

From there you narrow down to brands / pricing.

Happy shopping.

thanks for bearing with my noobness, really appriciate it ;]
Ken Rockwell is known to be very biased...

Honestly, I would suggest you get a Sony A200 or A230. You get a higher resolution and a newer-generation Sony sensor (the D40 uses an out-of-production sony 6MP sensor), you get 9 autofocus points, Autofocus with all lenses, and built-in VR.
I've tried the sonny a100 before, personally i feel the lens is albeit rustic when adjusting, and i feel that due to a smaller market share of users, 2nd hand lens are harder to find. is that true about sony lenses?

Why not you list down what you already know so far... Its not very nice to just ask for answers.
I've never used Sony, Pentax or Olympus so i won't give comments to them. But i have used canon, fuji and nikon. Fuji and nikon basically share the same body. For example the Fujifilm S5pro is using a D200 body. But the sensor everything is completely different. Canon i personally loved the feel of the 10D. The up to date version now would be the 50D i think. But i never liked their smaller range for example the 350, 450, etc... But after using both, i prefer the position of the nikon. That doesn't apply to the D50. I'm not sure if D40 or D60 has two dials. But those are some points that i look out for in a body.

Weight (i like it heavy)
Position of command dials
Built in autofocus
Built in CLS (nikon or fuji)
Prices of future equipment eg. Lens, Flash
Its very important that you look into all this as once you commit to canon, nikon, sony, etc your gona be with that manufacturer all the way :)
That is unless you sell off your whole system. All the best dude :)
So far from what i know, the d40 doesnt have a built in auto-focus motor, so when buying lens i will have to look for the lens with a built in auto focus motor which makes it expensive, and extra features like VR makes the lens more expensive?

on a side note, i feel that if i decide that photography is my thing, i may change the body and keep the lenses. i can only afford any thing $500 plus minus for now, 2nd hand.

thanks guys for the good pointers!

thanks for bearing with my noobness, really appriciate it ;]

I've tried the sonny a100 before, personally i feel the lens is albeit rustic when adjusting, and i feel that due to a smaller market share of users, 2nd hand lens are harder to find. is that true about sony lenses?

A100 was the first one they ever released. Newer bodies and lenses are a bit different, especially in autofocus speed and accuracy.

Also, the sony marketshare is now 13% globally and growing. There are a lot of 2nd hand lenses on sale here in CS too, and you can use the Minolta autofocus lenses too.

if you are looking at old model dslr, try to look for high end old model ones.
i'm using d40x and only DX lens will autofocus for d40, d40x and d60.
plus old model autofocus is damn slowwwwwwww now i dont know want to buy AF-D or AF-S lens arghhh. lol randoms, okay.

just my 2cents, try to get high end old model, you will get no wrong ;)

i heard my friend who is a sony user that, the sony lens are not really good :confused:
not very sure though.

i heard my friend who is a sony user that, the sony lens are not really good :confused:
not very sure though.

LOL

It would help if he were specific. Sony G and CZ lenses are among the best, and the Sony Kit lens has very good image quality.

That being said, every manufacturer has bad lenses too.

Really? I heard that even the kit lens is one of the better ones among the other brands wor.

Optically, and in terms of resolution, yes it is.

plus old model autofocus is damn slowwwwwwww now i dont know want to buy AF-D or AF-S lens arghhh. lol randoms, okay.

just my 2cents, try to get high end old model, you will get no wrong ;)

dudeeeee. i have no idea what you have just said haha. the motor in the lens AF very slow?
care to break it down for me? ;]

oh and anyone know the odds of in-built AF motors failing? if it is constant, then maybe the AFS lens isnt a bad idea.

Last edited:
oh and anyone know the odds of in-built AF motors failing? if it is constant, then maybe the AFS lens isnt a bad idea.

From what my buddies in the service centers tell me, in-lens tends to fail more than in-body. But mind you, it's veeeeeeery rare for that to happen either way. It's more likely that the user dropped and smashed the body/lens. In other words, a lot of other stuff will break before that does.

Really? I heard that even the kit lens is one of the better ones among the other brands wor.

opps, i mean zoom lens, for sony. hehe pai seh :sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.