Haha! I bloody love science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhan

Feb 11, 2007
The old thread got deleted by the mods, so here is a repost. I personally feel a certain impact of the photo was its parody of the original colouring picture, so with this change in title, it just becomes a less interesting photo overall. The original had a target niche of young net-culture savvy people, but now I don't feel it has as direct an appeal. The mods have informed me that foul (or implied) language is not to be tolerated.

It's interesting though, as the situation is quite similar to that of the classic Japanese theatre "University of Laughter", where a scriptwriter tries to get his script past a censor during wartime Japan, but the latter chucks it out multiple times, only to have the writer return each time with a better version. The show suggests that censorship, or adversity, can help to stimulate creativity.

Unfortunately, I'm not skillful enough to figure out a way of changing the original title to a better one so have to settle for another word to replace the offending one.

I apologise for all those who have taken time and effort to comment, particularly (from memory, since the thread is gone) pyreel, foxtwo, munkey etc.

For those who did not see the original writeup, the picture aims to provide comic relief by providing a disjunction in setting and emotion. A science lab is normally a place which is dull and unfun, but this picture shows a girl enjoying her work and in the words of McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it!" It originally was a parody of the famous colouring picture, where a young boy is doing some mad colouring, making the mundane seem hilarious.

The zoom blur is intended to add a sense of vocal projection, like manga-style's converging lines.

C and C as usual, mods don't tase me bro!

lovescience.jpg

lol. i dunno why you replaced the word with 'bloody'. it doesn't make much difference, as some may get still offended with the word. can't you just put your title as 'Haha! I love science!'? :dunno: not trying to go against you but, by looking at her appearance and reaction in the pic, i doubt she would have said 'Haha! I bloody love science!'

nevertheless, i feel that the zoom blur is good, brought out the subject, but the sign above her is way too distracting. moment well captured i guess.

by looking at her appearance and reaction in the pic, i doubt she would have said 'Haha! I bloody love science!'

My sentiments exactly. Photo and title doesn't link too well.

I'm a Science teacher and I think it is bloody fantastic!!!:thumbsup:

WHAT? People get offended by the word "bloody"? Since when was it a vulgarity? Now I'm shocked.

I agree that it is indeed a substandard title and I still prefer my old title.

Anyway, did you see the original title? Apparently if I typed it out I would be punished so you all will have to guess it.

As for the signage, I disagree. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession on CS with sterile backgrounds that contain nothing but bokeh. The signage adds context, detail and humour. Previous commenters have mentioned they like it as well, I composed it intentionally...

Clunk: Thanks. There were some scientists in the previous thread as well, it's good for us science dudes to know that we are not alone lol.

Would love to instill that sort of enthusiasm like that into my students.

nothing wrong with the picture,

but it seems that either the lighting is weird, or you have done too much shadow recovery - just cover the top half of the picture and you'll know what i mean, that portion looks like computer graphics.

I think technicalities aside, the title and picture fits nicely together, tho i much prefer the vulgar version, lol!...I'm sure if we use vulgarities expressively in a positive way, it doesn't sound that bad...whats wrong with "I ****ing love science?" lol! Its not as if we dun know the word...loL! And why shud u get offended if its not directed at you to intentionally offend U? O well...just a penny worth of thoughts...

Last edited:
lol

picky picky. its just a title. i see no way it could be offensive.

let's place more emphasis on the picture, shall we?

colours seem too contrasty for me.

also, i don't think a science lab would have so many things on the table? seem pretty hard to conduct experiments with a packed table.

just some cents. =)

eh eh? why change to bloody? the original word is more expressive leh.

As before, idea is fine tho it looks a tad bit bland, depending on your target audience. Show it in front of a polytechnic lecture and you will probably receive giggles for your adventurism and tongue-in-cheek caption. Put it up on Clubsnap and you'll get stuff like "Oh i find the background too distracting, I dont like her wearing fake eyelashes/ retainers on her teeth" so, go figure. Personally I feel that you could bump up the colours? and add some vignettes so that attention will be on her expression, rather than the ~distracting~ fan behind.

Munkey: You know what the awesome part is? THOSE ARE NOT FAKE EYELASHES! She has amazing Indian-like long eyelashes. Indeed, vignetting could work here. I quite dislike the colours myself, and have been tweaking it extensively. Probably got worse and worse as I tweaked more, as nightmare86 says. It looks a bit weird.

Shiruikage and Psylence: Tell that to the mods. I am dismayed at my new title. I agree the old one was better.

Raphael: Real science labs have various areas. This is the chemical reageant table.

Entrophy: But she looks hapy what. Note the curved eyes.

Are you from NUS?

Indeed. You must be from CM2161 and 1161. What a coincidence! Ok do say hi next time k. Science photogs should bond more.

I love science too..
but she looks like a stereotypical mad scientist :sweat:
You trying to say a mad scientist loves science? :)

lol

picky picky. its just a title. i see no way it could be offensive.

let's place more emphasis on the picture, shall we?

colours seem too contrasty for me.

also, i don't think a science lab would have so many things on the table? seem pretty hard to conduct experiments with a packed table.

just some cents. =)

My bench is actually worse off than the ones in the pic...believe it or not, most research benches re +/-20% messiness of what u see in the pic. It does seems like she's preparing buffers at a chemical reagents area. I think research ve drove her mad....like the rest of us.. lol. pic looks kind of too yellowish to me and the zoom blur is too pp.

WHAT? People get offended by the word "bloody"? Since when was it a vulgarity? Now I'm shocked.
I agree that it is indeed a substandard title and I still prefer my old title.

Anyway, did you see the original title? Apparently if I typed it out I would be punished so you all will have to guess it.

As for the signage, I disagree. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession on CS with sterile backgrounds that contain nothing but bokeh. The signage adds context, detail and humour. Previous commenters have mentioned they like it as well, I composed it intentionally...

Clunk: Thanks. There were some scientists in the previous thread as well, it's good for us science dudes to know that we are not alone lol.

Definetly, bloody isn't a vulgarity, but in what context are you using the word?

Status
Not open for further replies.