Haba Mountain Climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckbekeong

Sep 28, 2004
Near Bishan Gardens
ckbe.multiply.com
Hi guys and gals!

I am thinking of going on mountain climbing trip to Haba Snow Mountain(5396m) this Chinese New Year period. As there is a minimum of 4 persons to go, i was wondering any clubsnappers would be keen to join me???

The confirm departure date is 16th Feb to 24th Feb. Total of 9 days. Yes you will miss all the Chinese New Year goodies and ang bao. What you will gain though is a whole new perspective of the world! Ha! Anyhow, enough of the crap.

The company handling this trip is Shangrila Adventure at the following URL:

http://www.shangrila-adventure.com/c_haba.htm

In case you are wondering, i am in no ways related to the organizer.:nono: I saw the site, have this urge and decided to sign on for it. Anyway, i have already registered with the organizer. Once enough people has sign up, the trip is a go ahead. More details can be found on the website i suppose.

Below are some pics related to Haba Snow Mountain. Enjoy!

This pic is taken near the peak of the mountain
haba_nearsummit.jpg

Base Camp
haba_advancecamp.jpg

Climbers forming a line to conquer the mountain!
haba_climbers_line.jpg

Another view of the mountain
haba_3climbers.jpg

May I know how much will the entire trip cost....

WOW..... if i have the spare cash and leave, i wont mind going this trip.... imagine the kind of shots u can get at such places.. :bigeyes: especially the sunset.

but its quite "tedious" i think... got to prepare a lot a lot of things.... more memory cards, more batteries, winter clothings, walking sticks (monopod can?), new bags, new shoes etc etc..

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Landscape & Travel Photo Gallery to Gatherings and Outings subforum.

May I know how much will the entire trip cost....

I was told that the entire trip(lodging, guides, domestic flights, food and such) excluding international flight is in the range of $1300 which to me is very affordable. I didn't do much research whether the price is good but another friend of mine who can't make it told me another adventure company is selling this package for USD$1300 :eek: excluding international flight.

If indeed that is the case, i think this company would be classify as 'cheap' lor!;p

Anyhow, i spoke to the team leader and he seems like a very friendly person so why not.

I guess if you are very keen, you can go this website and contact the company directly.

Go Haba Go!:cheergal:

WOW..... if i have the spare cash and leave, i wont mind going this trip.... imagine the kind of shots u can get at such places.. :bigeyes: especially the sunset.

but its quite "tedious" i think... got to prepare a lot a lot of things.... more memory cards, more batteries, winter clothings, walking sticks (monopod can?), new bags, new shoes etc etc..

I tot your 'tedious' refers to physical aspect of our body. Ha!:bsmilie:

I have check with the company. All climbing related equipments are provided. Photography equipments we are on our own.

I guess a small price to pay to see the 'world'.:)

Reading the below on their website makes me worried.....

"HaBa Snow Mountain is just above the snow-line at 5396m, located in LiJiang YunNan. You will experience a typical mountaineering expedition and feel the thrill of submitting a snow mountain. Ideal for beginners!"

If u have not done mountain climbing/hiking before.....please think twice before going. Think the beginners should refer to those with substantial experiences in mountain hiking and want to go a level up to those using equipments.

Reading the below on their website makes me worried.....

"HaBa Snow Mountain is just above the snow-line at 5396m, located in LiJiang YunNan. You will experience a typical mountaineering expedition and feel the thrill of submitting a snow mountain. Ideal for beginners!"

If u have not done mountain climbing/hiking before.....please think twice before going. Think the beginners should refer to those with substantial experiences in mountain hiking and want to go a level up to those using equipments.

Ha!:bsmilie:

I was worried too when i read it but you can't be telling people i am a beginner in mountaining expedition when the only mountain you 'climbed' is Bukit Timah Hill!

I think the intepretation in this case is that the mountain is relatively gentle and anybody with good fitness will be able to overcome it. There are some snow mountains which are of the same height and are extremely difficult to climb. One of the more famous one is MeiLi Snow mountain. The last expedition team which consists of Chinese and Japanese tried reaching the peak. Unfortunately, the whole team perished in doing so. As of now, no one has ever reached the peak of this mountain!

Sure. Special equipments are needed when climbing snow mountain. It is the same for ALL snow mountains. And yes, it is not a trip for everyone. It is only meant for people who are adventurous, fit and want to try something different from the usual tour trip overseas. No, you don't have to have prior mountaineering experience to participate in this trip. And if you are not comfortable, yes please don't sign up.

I have friends who are die hards in urban tours. No matter how hard i try to persuade them to join me for trekking tour, they will just shake their heads. To each his/her own really.

Just thinking that those without prior experience may not be aware of the danger that they may face when hiking/trekking a mountain, especially when descending.

If my friend jio me, I think i will be quite gian to go. But will tell him to stay put if he does not have some experience. I will go in his place :bsmilie:

i tink dat e dangers 4 a 1st timer to b so ambitious is very high. i've been climbing mountain for years, n 1 of e most dangerous ting besides e weather is getting AMS(acute mountain sickness). its not sumting dat u can control n u can get it even if u r very fit. ur body simply cant get used to e altitude.
while its true dat u can get fantastic pix while u r up there, i dun tink its worth risking ur life over. in fact, i got banned from climbing mountains by my mum n gf coz i got struck by lightning while climbing gunung tahan last july!!

well, i agree wif u dat there's much equipment to prepare for, but i advice against new shoes. u nid to break into them 1st...new shoes r hard(er) n if u wear them 4 such an extended trip, ur feet might blister n it would really kill e trip. buy ur shoes early n walk or exercise wif them often...but not to e extend dat it tears lah...let ur feet decide whether they r comfortable wif e shoes. if not, get another 1. or if e date of e trip is too close, mayb ur old pair.
well, its juz my 5 cents worth...hope its of a bit of help

....... i got banned from climbing mountains by my mum n gf coz i got struck by lightning while climbing gunung tahan last july!!

oh my gosh... i nv knew that climbing mountains can get strike by lightning! wat happened to u at that moment and after tat?

Just thinking that those without prior experience may not be aware of the danger that they may face when hiking/trekking a mountain, especially when descending.

If my friend jio me, I think i will be quite gian to go. But will tell him to stay put if he does not have some experience. I will go in his place :bsmilie:

Yes you are quite right to be concerned about the danger involved. In fact, i was worried too cos even though i have some experience in trekking and climbing mountains, snow mountains was never part of it. But i was assured by Shangrila Adventure that this mountain is not as difficult as it is. So off i sign up lor!:)

Experience is one thing. Being fit is another. It is best to have both but given a choice, it is better to be fit than to have no experience in this case. I was told that daily trekking time would be no more than 5hours which in most mountain climbing trips is consider mild.;)

i tink dat e dangers 4 a 1st timer to b so ambitious is very high. i've been climbing mountain for years, n 1 of e most dangerous ting besides e weather is getting AMS(acute mountain sickness). its not sumting dat u can control n u can get it even if u r very fit. ur body simply cant get used to e altitude.
while its true dat u can get fantastic pix while u r up there, i dun tink its worth risking ur life over. in fact, i got banned from climbing mountains by my mum n gf coz i got struck by lightning while climbing gunung tahan last july!!

Well said! AMS can occur to anyone! Absolutely right! :) Thats why if you look at the whole trip itself, there are aclimitazation catered for it. The chances of getting AMS is very low if you go slow in accending. There are no clear scientific proof on what causes AMS but in general, if all of us practise common sense while climbing the mountain, the chances of having AMS is greatly minimized.

Think about it. We are there to enjoy the view, not running a race. We should go at a steady pace. Thats why fitness is quite important in any mountain climbing trip.

would suggest taking hong jin tian,dun know SG got sell or not, 2 wk before doing departure to avoid AMS

Yes you are quite right to be concerned about the danger involved. In fact, i was worried too cos even though i have some experience in trekking and climbing mountains, snow mountains was never part of it. But i was assured by Shangrila Adventure that this mountain is not as difficult as it is. So off i sign up lor!:)

Experience is one thing. Being fit is another. It is best to have both but given a choice, it is better to be fit than to have no experience in this case. I was told that daily trekking time would be no more than 5hours which in most mountain climbing trips is consider mild.;)

When u have no experience, it can be fatal. You may miscalculate the risk and do some stunts.

Interesting!:) Never hear of that. Where can you get it from?

me get it in shangrri-la last dun know SG got sell or not
Name in full : Tibet hong (red) jin (scenary) tian (sky)
Cost: RMB40

Status
Not open for further replies.