Oct 25, 2010
Singapore

Attachments

• $image-2597370683.jpg
    $image-2597370683.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 37
4k full sensor readout maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a new warning, think most of their cameras (maybe except the GH4, lol) have it stated in the manual:

GX8 and G7 manual:

VdI11vB.png

GM1 manual:

ZSiG2uf.png

Last edited:
* About motion picture recording / 4K Photo recording - Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures. - Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] or [4K PHOTO]. (SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.) - Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4GB with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD] [VGA]. - MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]: - When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately. - When using an SDXC memory card: You can record a motion picture in a single file. - When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down. ** For [4K] video output, use an HDMI cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as"4K compatible".

Haha..this is a standard notice for video mode when using a digital still camera. Have you wondered why a video camera don't have this notice or rather it will still shut down when it reached a dangerous temperature but don't have a time limit? The GX85 time limit is 29min. 59secs. I think it is it is further crippled by the use of different memory cards. Like file size exceed 4gb ( or time limit is reachedf) and no limit if you use another type of card but recording is divided/played back separately and when using SDXC memory card :you can record a motion picture in a single file. Trying to prevent copyright piracy?

Also there is a little known quirky regulation about classifying still and video cameras for tax or tariff purposes. Hence the time limit imposed on still cameras shooting video. If you don't believe
you can check it out yourself which I came across many moons ago on why they do this. :rolleyes:

Ok. So it seems for the newer cams they put this warning. Did not see it anywhere in my G2/Gh2/Gh3. Maybe it's because of the 4K mode!

Wondering about this because it seems that in the 4K space, the sony A7 family and even A6300 seem to have some overheating during prolonged video recording. So far I haven't heard of any Panasonic or Olympus overheating. Maybe different sensor size. Hmm. Anyway thanks to all for your feedback. Was worried for a while.

Ok. So it seems for the newer cams they put this warning. Did not see it anywhere in my G2/Gh2/Gh3. Maybe it's because of the 4K mode!

Wondering about this because it seems that in the 4K space, the sony A7 family and even A6300 seem to have some overheating during prolonged video recording. So far I haven't heard of any Panasonic or Olympus overheating. Maybe different sensor size. Hmm. Anyway thanks to all for your feedback. Was worried for a while.

No it's not because of 4K, my old Pentax KX DSLR has this overheating and shutdown notice when
shooting in AVI format..haha..long before 4K was introduced. Look carefully, the warning is usually
stated in the video section/movie or specifications section. When you want to do business in US or EU
a company would want to cover their ass.

For the tech challenged some enlightenment is needed, in the design of electronic integrated circuits or chips it is normal to put protection circuits to prevent catastrophic failure be it
in terms of collateral damage like fire or worse injury to humans.The high temperature does not refer
to external ambient environment or even on the outside surface of the electronic chip package which is usually plastic resin but the internal operating temperature of the silicon structures of transistor elements measuring in micrometers ( microns). One micron is one millionth of a milimeter.Thinner than a strand of hair. The internal temperature can reach as high as 150 degree Celcius.( Boiling water is 100C ).Of course at these temperatures performance parameters of the circuit suffers or detoriate hence a shutdown is needed. Consumer cameras are not designed to the same criteria like professional ENG ( electronic news gathering) cameras or movie/cinematic cameras
which cost a lot more. Check out the price of a Arriflex movie cam. :)

Last edited: