GX1 vs GF5

Mab0oLine

Feb 9, 2012
Hi All,

Can someone please elaborate the difference these 2 cam?

Thanks!!

What about epl3? Is is better than these 2?

Different cameras altogether.

EPL3 had a sensor that is the same as EP3, both are from Olympus. EPL3, EP3 and EPM1 had a different processing engine as the Panasonic. And all three of them had 12MP.

GX1 had 16MP sensor which I believe is superior to the EP3, EPL3 and EPM1... and can resolve more detail. GF5 had a 12MP sensor (different from the one used in EPL3, EP3 and EPM1 though).

Mab0oLine said:
What about epl3? Is is better than these 2?

GX1 is a much newer camera than EPL 3... Newer and better sensor too.

milez said:
GX1 is a much newer camera than EPL 3... Newer and better sensor too.

EM-5 has the best sensor of all. Better even than e gh2

hi, check with you , for the gf 5, what is the different between Pancake Power Zoom 14-42mm and normal zoom 14-42? thanks

The most noticeable difference is that the powerzoom system had taken away the zoom ring and manual focus ring, using electronic or electrical means to achieve the previously mentioned two features. This would reduce the size of the lens tremendously.

666-StandardZoom_1321612192.jpg

(Courtesy of Panasonic Lumix G X 14-42mm PZ Lens Review)

Another thing was that the lens was virtually silent, thus very good for movie (I have not use the Pany 14-42mm kit lens before so I cannot verify this point). The next thing is the smoothness of the powerzoom lens when it zoom in and out during movie mode, which is claimed to be smoother than normal mechanical zoom ring of the kit lens.

And for people who are used to PnS cameras, this lens would be very much appreciated because the function are very similar to PnS camera zoom in and out fuction.

Last edited:
The most noticeable difference is that the powerzoom system had taken away the zoom ring and manual focus ring, using electronic or electrical means to achieve the previously mentioned two features. This would reduce the size of the lens tremendously.

666-StandardZoom_1321612192.jpg

(Courtesy of Panasonic Lumix G X 14-42mm PZ Lens Review)

Another thing was that the lens was virtually silent, thus very good for movie (I have not use the Pany 14-42mm kit lens before so I cannot verify this point). The next thing is the smoothness of the powerzoom lens when it zoom in and out during movie mode, which is claimed to be smoother than normal mechanical zoom ring of the kit lens.

And for people who are used to PnS cameras, this lens would be very much appreciated because the function are very similar to PnS camera zoom in and out fuction.

like that, it seem to be a p and s camera, just that it can change lens, how about iq wise?

like that, it seem to be a p and s camera, just that it can change lens, how about iq wise?

Correction... every camera (DSLR and mirrorless interchangeable lens camera) can be a PnS camera... and so all cameras can look and functioned like one, but frankly that means nothing and should not mean anything. The Panasonic came up with this idea which is very innovative and good, especially for movie taking since zooming in and out can be very very quiet... plus like what I have mentioned before, the doing away of mechanical parts could make the lens very very small and thin.

Anyway, IQ wise as mentioned in some reviews, should be around the same as the kit lens.

Last edited:
how about the iq the power zoom lens compare to the normal lens. I suppose the pan cake lens should be better than the power zoom in term of IQ?

how about the iq the power zoom lens compare to the normal lens. I suppose the pan cake lens should be better than the power zoom in term of IQ?

I already pointed out that the power zoom lens IQ is the same as the normal kit lens. As to Pancake lens or what... these are essentially prime lens and some of the prime lens had sharper images as compared to zoom lens.