GX1 body and Panasonic Lumix Vario 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 Aspherical Lens for Micro 4/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug2

Jun 23, 2007
Thinking of getting this combination for a walkabout camera. Has anyone tried the 14 - 140 mm lense? The hotshoe can fit either an external flash or the viewfinder but not both, right?

Thanks.

shutterbug2 said:
Thinking of getting this combination for a walkabout camera. Has anyone tried the 14 - 140 mm lense? The hotshoe can fit either an external flash or the viewfinder but not both, right?

Thanks.

The 14-140 weighs 440g. Made for the G or GH series. GX 1 is better paired with the
14-42 x and 45-175 x lenses. Small n light.

Presently I use an 18 - 200mm lens with a DSLR body so thot the closest I could get to this and lesser weight was the 14-140mm and the GX 1 body. Saves me changing lenses. But it's true that the lense is heavy. The G and GH do not have the touch screen function where it can focus and take a pix, I think.

Does the GX allow the viewfinder and external flash to be mounted at the same time? I thought only one could be mounted at one time?

Last edited:
G3 has touchscreen shutter release.

Does the GX allow the viewfinder and external flash to be mounted at the same time? I thought only one could be mounted at one time?

Only one accessory at any time unless someone hacks an adaptor that can take both simulataneously without causing electrical/electronic confusion.

Anymore opinions of whether 14 to 140mm is a good walkabout lens?

shutterbug2 said:
Anymore opinions of whether 14 to 140mm is a good walkabout lens?

The 14-140 fits the gh2 quite well. It'll be heavy and large for gx1. It weighs 440g. The oly 14-150 is smaller and lighter but no ois

Used it sometime with my GF1, pretty versatile lens - especially if you don't want walk to much :). Indoor wise, it may put your "avoid camera shake" techniques to test or alternatively you could switch to video-ing :)

Last edited:
Presently I use an 18 - 200mm lens with a DSLR body so thot the closest I could get to this and lesser weight was the 14-140mm and the GX 1 body. Saves me changing lenses. But it's true that the lense is heavy. The G and GH do not have the touch screen function where it can focus and take a pix, I think.

G2, G3, GF2, GF3, GH2, GX1 all have touch screen, touch focus, touch shutter

The 14-140 fits the gh2 quite well. It'll be heavy and large for gx1. It weighs 440g. The oly 14-150 is smaller and lighter but no ois

Are u suggesting to get GX1 body with Oly lens or to get Oly body n lens? Just clarifying. Thanks.

I'm using the 14-140mm lens on my GF 1 currently. It is slightly heavier and more bulky, but it's a pretty versatile lens that is good for stills and videos. It's one of my travelling lens which i'll always bring overseas other than my 20mm pancake lens and 7-14mm wide angle lens. Due to it's weight, i have the tendency to hold the camera via the lens whenever i am walking about and not shooting.

My latest consideration is the G3 with 14-42mm and 45-200mm lens package. It does mean that I have to carry two lenses around though but I hope they won't be heavier than one long lense though changing lenses may be a bit troublesome. Anyone with this combination would care to share their experience?

Digital sensor is unlike film as dust is a major problem. I like to minimize lens changing. I had the P14-140 on a GH1 and now on an EP3. As others said, you can consider the Oly 14-150 if bulk is an issue. I would change lens if I am going on a prime lens. Otherwise I would not bother with zoom lenses.

Does Oly 14 - 150's image stabilization work on a Panasonic G body? I read somewhere it doesn't?

Get the 14-140mm for ur GX1 if u really need a all around lens. I'm using it when i dont feel like bring my DSLR out. And yes bring along a 25mm lens for low light if u need. this combo is much lighter than my DSLR setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.