GX-1 compared to EP-3

seafood

Jan 27, 2010
SG
Got the EP3 within first week of launch, and the GX1 within 48 hours of launch in SG. These are just some impressions as I use the GX1.

My first impression made when finalising the deal at the counter of your friendly local dealer:

Me: "How much is a spare battery?".
Dealer: "How many you want?".
Me: "How much you selling?"
D (turning to colleague): "Hey, S, GX1 use what battery-ah?".
S, picking up a battery and handing over to D. D, looking at price tag: "$101".
M ( :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: ) : "Thank you. Just camera first, ok".

The price for a body of the GX-1 costs around $800, including a battery. And a separate battery for it costs $100. Totally-out-of-this-world pricing.

BTW the battery don't last any longer than the EP3. As for the Lumix charger, when charging the LED lights up "Green". When finished charging, it goes out (no light). I personally don't think this is the most logical way to design a charger. When I first put the battery in the charger and it lighted green, my thoughts were that the battery is charged (green-mah, green for GO, OK, READY, HOOT-ah). And then when I looked again after a while, and no more light, the first thing I checked was whether the charger was plugged in and switched on. And then still wondered whether charger spoiled or not.

I guess the only way to really check whether battery is charged or not is to put into the camera, switch it on and look for the battery bars. With Oly, just put battery in charger and wait for appropriate light. I guess this little feature will come and haunt me when I have 3 batteries (who goes on trips with only one battery?) ....and wondering which one is ready ...

For this, Oly wins hands down. Cheap-cheap-cheap batteries (both original and extremely compatible third party). And a logical charger. Amber LED for not fully charged battery that turns a really stylo-mylo blue when fully charged. No ambiguity and so reassuring!

To be fair to Lumix, the battery fits more reassuringly into the camera's compartment. 4 months after using the EP3, I still get to put the battery wrongly into the camera.

Last edited:
Well, it's because of Panasonic's stupid decision to put a chip into that battery, increasing the price and the chop carrot head culture. It's around 45 USD in Amazon. Most 3rd party batteries online (not all, some are properly decoded) are not decoded so sleep and battery readings do not work. There's one seller in the mass order forum who claims his 3rd party battery is already decoded, so I bought one. Hoping it will reach me today so I can try it out.

Yup. Batteries are cheaper overseas than here. I bought all my Panasonic GF1/ GH2 batteries from Amazon/ BH Photo. You save quite a bit.

All original batteries are expensive anyway.

When I bought my EP1, luckily it comes with a free original battery. Solved the problem of looking for a new one. That time it was SGD89 if I remember correctly.

Canon batteries are expensive as well, most above SGD100. Good thing when I got my 7D, it comes with another free one (RRP 139!!!)

I have been using 3rd party batteries for years and found them to be of adequate quality.

Now most of the batteries are chipped I think, so that they can communicate with the camera.

By the way, I have purchased 2 3rd party battery for GX1 from one of the shops advertised in this forum and now waiting for delivery. Anyway, should be fine as I got 2 batteries fro 7D from them weeks back.

When I bought my EP1, luckily it comes with a free original battery. Solved the problem of looking for a new one. That time it was SGD89 if I remember correctly.

Canon batteries are expensive as well, most above SGD100. Good thing when I got my 7D, it comes with another free one (RRP 139!!!)

I have been using 3rd party batteries for years and found them to be of adequate quality.

Now most of the batteries are chipped I think, so that they can communicate with the camera.

By the way, I have purchased 2 3rd party battery for GX1 from one of the shops advertised in this forum and now waiting for delivery. Anyway, should be fine as I got 2 batteries fro 7D from them weeks back.

Actually a lot of DMW-BLD10E batteries for the GX1/GH2 on eBay are not chipped. Can't even charge with the Panny charger, must get a 3rd party one. :( You probably bought yours from ID-sg right? I just hope their battery is properly chipped.

Ok .... am impressed by their website ....if this is it.

Again, my point for EP3 still stands. Charger makes sense and batteries cheap-cheap-cheap. Third party for Oly can be had for $20. And many-many third parties around .... and very, very compatible.

BTW do keep us updated on compatibility of this batteries for the GX1 :) !

Frankly speaking, if comparing EP3 to GX1, batteries (and price), charger are all the least priority to me.

If comparing image and video quality, GX1 wins hands down. And thats the only priority to buy a camera in the first place.

Actually a lot of DMW-BLD10E batteries for the GX1/GH2 on eBay are not chipped. Can't even charge with the Panny charger, must get a 3rd party one. :( You probably bought yours from ID-sg right? I just hope their battery is properly chipped.

Yeah keeping fingers crossed. The 7D replacement batteries seems working well so I went back to get from them for the Panny one

Ok .... am impressed by their website ....if this is it.

Again, my point for EP3 still stands. Charger makes sense and batteries cheap-cheap-cheap. Third party for Oly can be had for $20. And many-many third parties around .... and very, very compatible.

BTW do keep us updated on compatibility of this batteries for the GX1 :) !

Considering that batteries are just a small fraction of the camera+lens price, I will not even take that as a consideration as a factor in choosing between EP3 and GX1.

If it is such a concern to you, you should not have bought the GX1 at that point of time, isn't it. Stick to EP-3 lah. The fact you bought it means it is a very good camera...in fact, IMHO , the best M43 camera at this point of time.

And shouldn't you compare other aspects of GX-1 to Ep-3, instead of just battery alone , considering that your post heading is Gx-1 compared to EP-3 ?

To you, GX1 maybe the best m43 but personally, I think G3 is a better buy compared to GX1.

Considering that batteries are just a small fraction of the camera+lens price, I will not even take that as a consideration as a factor in choosing between EP3 and GX1.

If it is such a concern to you, you should not have bought the GX1 at that point of time, isn't it. Stick to EP-3 lah. The fact you bought it means it is a very good camera...in fact, IMHO , the best M43 camera at this point of time.

And shouldn't you compare other aspects of GX-1 to Ep-3, instead of just battery alone , considering that your post heading is Gx-1 compared to EP-3 ?

Bearing in mind that I have been using the EP3 for more than 4 months, my opinions of the GX1 are still first impressions whereas those of the EP3 are already embedded :angel:

Aesthetically (of course this is personal to everyone) the GX1 looks better than the EP3. I think there is a better sense of proportion and the colours more subtle and classier (comparing the silver models). Everything looks designed and in harmony. On the EP3, the grip looks like an after thought. The shades of "silver" used certainly are worlds apart that I actually wonder which is the real "silver". I prefer the GX1 shade though I am sure, on its own, in a proper line up no artist would describe it as "silver". The only gripe I have against the GX1 is the wording, "Panasonic DMC-GX1 FULL HD" on top of the flash. There are FOUR different fonts here :eek: Panasonic should have just left these out. I, personally, don't find these wordings impressive decoratively nor informatively. This camera is not targeted at those easily impressed by technical jargon (I hoped!).

Personally I find most of Oly's m.4/3 lenses ugly excepting the newer offerings, 12mm/f2 and 45/f1.8. As it is, the Lumix lenses blend in perfectly though the GX1 body's "silver" is of a lighter shade. I find Oly's choice of "silver" too glaring or flashy and there are just too many differences in detailing on the Oly lenses.

In terms of touch and feel, the GX1 feels better. all the buttons have a nice and reassuring feel and click to it. I didn't particularly cared for Oly's implementation of the rotating selector. which feels "loose". The GX1's 4 buttons selector certainly feels more solid. The GX1 is MIJ and the EP3 is MIC. Other than the rotating or circular 4 buttons versus the rotating dial, the only other different implementation of controls would be the on-off function. The GX1's is a mechanical switch located below the Mode Selector dial whereas the EP3's is a "soft" switch by itself. Both feels fine by me.

The EP3's method of fixing the strap to the body feels better in terms of handling. It is an eyelet attached to another triangular lug before the strap. With the GX1, the strap fixes directly to the body and somehow seems to get into the way more of the index finger during operation of the shutter button.

Well I guess each has his/her own priority. For me, I'm sure the pannys perform better in image quality. But I like the ep3 for it's retro design. Of course aesthetics are subjective. There's no clear which is better here. To me, the image quality on the ep3 is acceptable to me. I'd like that the ep3 gives me the old school camera feel. It's always been something I'd like. If I were to choose purely on iq maybe I wouldn't have bought the ep3, or the ep1. To each his own. I have to say that the gx1 looks pretty sleek but to me, the grip kinda spoils the whole package. I'm not asking all to agree with me because I accept there are differences in personal preferences. But as of now, the ep3 works best for me as a whole package cos I'm a sucker for such an old school design

To you, GX1 maybe the best m43 but personally, I think G3 is a better buy compared to GX1.

I do agree with you that the G3 seems a better buy. It certainly has more features and costs less for what may be similar IQ :cheers:

My prob is that I have a favourite little pouch and the G3 can't fit into it with another lens. Personally, in spite of what some "experts" are proclaiming here, I have yet to make up my mind on the merits of the GX1. And, contrary to what has been mentioned, " ...The fact you bought it means it is a very good camera..." , I certainly would hesitate to put it that way. I have only used it for less than a week. Maybe they have used it for far longer than myself.

seafood said:
I do agree with you that the G3 seems a better buy. It certainly has more features and costs less for what may be similar IQ :cheers:

My prob is that I have a favourite little pouch and the G3 can't fit into it with another lens. Personally, in spite of what some "experts" are proclaiming here, I have yet to make up my mind on the merits of the GX1. And, contrary to what has been mentioned, " ...The fact you bought it means it is a very good camera..." , I certainly would hesitate to put it that way. I have only used it for less than a week. Maybe they have used it for far longer than myself.

Aiyoh.... I never claim to be "expert" leh, why you so sensitive wan ? I said IMHO which means In my humble opinion which mean my own personal humble opinion.

You mean I cannot say that ? somemore kenna ridicule by you as "self proclaimed expert". Relax lah!

In any case, if after your "testing", if you decide that GX1 is lousy, sell it to me lor. I am sure I not the only who thinks , IN THEIR HUMBLE OPINION that's it is a very good camera

Coming from a D700, I also feel the GX1 is a very good camera. :) Nice size and build quality. G3 still to me too bulky.

Coming from a D700, I also feel the GX1 is a very good camera. :) Nice size and build quality. G3 still to me too bulky.

Precisely!

I had many other cameras, J1, GF3, G3, Nex5N, etc but each and every one of them has their pros and cons.

I have been trying to find 1 single camera with small enough lens and take good enough photos, esp at low light. GX1 seems to fit the bill right now, with a good ISO performance even up to ISO3200, great video quality, great build quality, lots of buttons and small and light enough to fit into my cargo pants!!! I just need GX1 with 14-42X or 20mm lens with me to take on the world now every where, anywhere, anytime...

Poisonous thread. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I am an average amateur photographer who takes pictures mainly for record purposes. To overcome personal limitations, I try to optimise my equipment. One of my favourite lens is the m.4/3 Leica Summilux DG 25/f1.4. There have been many satisfactory pictures taken with the EP3+25/1.4 combi. Quite a significant amount of these pics are in door shots of kids, sometimes sleeping.

The EP3 with its in-body IS (IBIS) allows me to go as low as 1/8s comfortably. There are even 1/2s decent pics. With the GX1 and 25/1.4 combi I see a significant amount of shake starting at 1/30s. 1/8s is practically impossible handheld, without noticeable shake. Of course, the answer is to push the ISO but I guess there is that much you can push the ISO at the expense of IQ, no matter how well the camera handles high ISO. With the EP3 at ISO 1250 and IBIS, matched with the 25/1.4, indoor shots without flash and handheld is very doable. Pushing the ISO to 3200 or 6400 on the GX1 is not the same nor does it give as satisfactory results.

I guess there are many better photographers with much steadier hands than mine. But if you use only one lens and it is the m.4/3 Leica Summilux 25mm/f1.4, then I would think the EP3 a better body for it than the GX1. Especially if you tend to shot indoors without flash.

The downside of the EP3 with the DG Summilux 25/f1.4 is the excessive clicking of the diaphragm when alternating from dark to bright light - extremely irritating. This issue is non-existent on the GX1.

Last edited:

I have great respect for the D700 :thumbsup:

Used the D300 before (similar built to the D700). And I totally agree with yourself that in contrast to the D300, the GX1 has a very nice size and excellent built quality. I would willingly sacrifice the D300's IQ for the EP3 or the GX1. Maybe not the D700 ......it is in a different class :)

The G3 don't feel as nice even if it has similar IQ as the GX1, but it does have more features like the rotating LCD and inbuilt EVF ........