Guys, i need help!

Candylies

Apr 19, 2010
A location Starts with 'S'
Hi,

I am currently confused about what to get for my new DSLR. I have already used before a canon 1000d, Nikon D90 and a SLR Minolta camera. [Nikon and Canon is borrowed from friends]

I do have another issue is that i have a medical condition which is essential tremors that is my hands cant stop shivering, it is quite bad but not in a very bad condition. it sometimes affect my shots like having a shutter speed of 5 -13 and ISO 200.

Well, i have a few confusions.

1. should i get a 1st or 2nd hand camera body lens

2. Diff models that fits in my budget for 2nd hand.
-Nikon D300
-Canon 50D

3. Diff Models that fits my budget for 1st hand
-Canon 550D
-Nikon D90

My budget is max 2K with lens.

I already know what i love to take, which is:

-Macro
-Scenery
-People
-Animals and insects

Erm anyone to help me to clear my confusions??

Thanks and God bless! =)

Last edited:

-Macro
-Scenery
-People
-Animals and insects

Any camera can take this... this is more lens-dependent.

Hi,

I am currently confused about what to get for my new DSLR. I have already used before a canon 1000d, Nikon D90 and a SLR Minolta camera. [Nikon and Canon is borrowed from friends]

-Nikon D300
-Canon 50D

-Canon 550D
-Nikon D90

-Macro
-Scenery
-People
-Animals and insects

Thanks and God bless! =)

If you're getting a New DSLR I suggest you get the 550D than to the 50D. 550D is only few months old while 50D is 3years. 550D is comparable to 50D in fact it has similar spec to 7D. I just got my 550D from John 3:16 last week. Initially getting the 50D but sammuel adviced to get the 550D or 7D instead.

Hi,

-Nikon D300
-Canon 50D

-Canon 550D
-Nikon D90

-Macro
-Scenery
-People
-Animals and insects

Thanks and God bless! =)

So ..... after using those bodies, which do you like?

Any camera can take this... this is more lens-dependent.

yea. but kinda need a camera body.

If you're getting a New DSLR I suggest you get the 550D than to the 50D. 550D is only few months old while 50D is 3years. 550D is comparable to 50D in fact it has similar spec to 7D. I just got my 550D from John 3:16 last week. Initially getting the 50D but sammuel adviced to get the 550D or 7D instead.

Yup thats what samuel told me too. But i don't like the weight of a 550D.

So ..... after using those bodies, which do you like?

I like the weight of a Nikon D90 and 7d. i do have another issue is that i have a medical condition which is essential tremors that is my hands cant stop shivering, it is quite bad but not in a very bad condition. it sometimes affect my shots like have a shutter speed of 5 -13 and ISO 200.

I haven't test out a Canon 50D and Nikon D300.

Warranty is not really a big issue for me.

I like the weight of a Nikon D90 and 7d. i do have another issue is that i have a medical condition which is essential tremors that is my hands cant stop shivering, it is quite bad but not in a very bad condition. it sometimes affect my shots like have a shutter speed of 5 -13 and ISO 200.

7D is way out of your budget.Get the Nikon D90 and 18-105 kit(price is around $1600).After that get some accessories like SD cards,extra battery,dry cabinet,cleaning kit,bag etc..........and you'll have spent all your 2k already:)

7D is way out of your budget.Get the Nikon D90 and 18-105 kit(price is around $1600).After that get some accessories like SD cards,extra battery,dry cabinet,cleaning kit,bag etc..........and you'll have spent all your 2k already:)

hmmm ok. what about 50d compare to D90. that is a thread having a comparison in this but not alot of information.

Yup thats what samuel told me too. But i don't like the weight of a 550D.

Forget about old technology, Canon 50D and Nikon D300 will be discontinued soon.

I would recommend D90 with VRII lens to counter your shake. I'm 70 and my hands also shake but with a D90, you'll take more beautiful pictures and less worries about that shake.

Forget about old technology, Canon 50D and Nikon D300 will be discontinued soon.

I would recommend D90 with VRII lens to counter your shake. I'm 70 and my hands also shake but with a D90, you'll take more beautiful pictures and less worries about that shake.

Thank you sir!! what a straight forward comment. thats what i hope someone will tell me straight to my face! lol.

So a D90 will be good is it?? or is there any other models that i can give a try?

If you have hand tremors, be sure to look into investing a tripod and a monopod.

Tripod prices can range from $100 to > $800. Monopod may be lesser, but depending on situation, you may need both. Night shots while walking, monopod may be used. Night shots of say a cityscape, tripod is needed, or any long exposure shots (> 1 second).

Hope it helps.

i do have another issue is that i have a medical condition which is essential tremors that is my hands cant stop shivering,

Then I suggest a Pentax or Sony, actually. At least you get built-in antishake with any and all lenses... No need to keep buying IS or VR lenses.

Then I suggest a Pentax or Sony, actually. At least you get built-in antishake with any and all lenses... No need to keep buying IS or VR lenses.

Even third party lenses without IS or VR are cheaper. Hope this will be a part of your purchase consideration.

Thank you sir!! what a straight forward comment. thats what i hope someone will tell me straight to my face! lol.

So a D90 will be good is it?? or is there any other models that i can give a try?

Our dingaroo also suggested using a tripod and monopod which you can also consider. I suggest the D90 as this model has the right feel and suits a trembling hands like mine. Canon 550D can also be considered but nothing beats the ergonomic shape of the D90 which will somewhat counteract my trembling hands and give a sharper shot.

I know there are others who don't agree with me but then again they don't have trembling hands. BTW...I've since upgraded to D700 and gave my D90 to my grandson.

Last edited:
whichever dslr u choose....get also a decent tripod, since u keep on emphasizing on u're hand tremors condition....

I think at 1/13 s, most of us have trembling hands too. Also dependant on focal length. Try shooting at faster shutter speeds to counter your seemingly shaky hands. Nevertheless, whatever VR or IS technology you have cannot replace the use of a tripod for long exposures. As others have said, invest in a good tripod. =)

Sony or Pentax should be considered for sure because of in-body stablization. This way you can be sure you have IS to assist your hands if they tremble. Furthermore, since your interest covers a large range of subjects you will need more than one lens as well. Namely a macro lens for macro or insect work, a tele lens for animals if they are not domestic animals like cats or dogs, as for landscapes it depends on your shooting style but wide or ultra wide angle lenses are used fairly often for landscape work. Finally many people like a large aperture prime for shooting people portraits to bring out the subject with bokeh or narrow DOF. With so many lenses needed my suggestion is to get the Pentax K-x with dual kit lens and complement it with other lenses you need. You will find that this gives you everything you need while keeping cost under control.

Our dingaroo also suggested using a tripod and monopod which you can also consider. I suggest the D90 as this model has the right feel and suits a trembling hands like mine. Canon 550D can also be considered but nothing beats the ergonomic shape of the D90 which will somewhat counteract my trembling hands and give a sharper shot.

I know there are others who don't agree with me but then again they don't have trembling hands. BTW...I've since upgraded to D700 and gave my D90 to my grandson.

I totally agree with this comment BUT do get a camera that YOU feel comfortable - most people have different preferences and only you yourself knows best which cameras fits you.

Most cameras are are fairly competent these days and in the end it is your own eyes and hands that will probably make the greatest impact on the picture taken. On saying that do consider also cameras with inbuilt body IS if shake is a great consideration.

Thanks Guys for the feedbacks!!

I don't like sony and pentax body, got a try of my friend's Sony DSLR, don't like it at all.

I love the Canon 7D body,weight and grip but I guess i will stick on to Nikon D90 due to budget.

I heard that not all lenses are able to fit Nikon Camera, will it affect me in terms of long term run, because Canon DSLR can fit any lens.

And getting a monopod or a tripod, what exactly should i look for, any brands or anything? Because i heard that there are lousy and good types of either monopod or tripod.

see embedded reply.

Hi,

I do have another issue is that i have a medical condition which is essential tremors that is my hands cant stop shivering, it is quite bad but not in a very bad condition.

it sometimes affect my shots like having a shutter speed of 5 -13 and ISO 200.
[pokiemon] most people will have blur pic with this setting.

[pokiemon] 2nd hand

-Nikon D300
-Canon 50D
[pokiemon] go for nikon d300

-Canon 550D
-Nikon D90
[pokiemon] go for nikon d90

[pokiemon] budget is kinda tight for new d90 or 2nd hand d300. realistically u prob need 2500 for 2nd hand d300 + 18-200 lens.

-Macro
-Scenery
-People
-Animals and insects

you need to spend additiona $$$ to buy a macro lens. otherwise get a macro adapter.

Thanks and God bless! =)