Gundam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Gundams... here's a cheap way to get good results in taking gundam photos...

1) A piece of paper to curve against the wall as your background - seamless background
2) Offset the flash with a extension cord or bounce or use a spotlight

gundam1.JPG

Have fun!;)

Zplus said:
I love Gundams... here's a cheap way to get good results in taking gundam photos...

1) A piece of paper to curve against the wall as your background - seamless background

gundam1.JPG

Have fun!;)

go buy mahjong paper... works like a charm...

anyway, i prefer in tis way...

lighting.jpg

If you are looking for impact, then:
Lower angle and wide(er) angle lens. If possible, something like minature trees, cars, tanks in the background. You expect to look upwards at something as large as the Gundam units in real life.

If you just want a relatively well lit shot, then the suggestion by Zplus is fine.

Verywierd said:
If you are looking for impact, then:
Lower angle and wide(er) angle lens. If possible, something like minature trees, cars, tanks in the background. You expect to look upwards at something as large as the Gundam units in real life.

If you just want a relatively well lit shot, then the suggestion by Zplus is fine.

fisheye from below... but the work on the model must be very good... cos nearer = see more defects... and use macro also can... black background den take toothbrush dip in white paint, den use another brush to rub the brush to get a 'starry' background...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
go buy mahjong paper... works like a charm...

anyway, i prefer in tis way...

Nice setup... Has bounce built in and also underlighting... eliminates shadows... Good stuff ;)
Mine's quick and dirty...;p

Bluestrike said:
hehe.. best~~~ use a tent~

work like a charm~~~ hehehhee
Totally agree. This would solve all the other problems.

I would prefer to use a darker background, and hard lighting, just like sun light, so I find you lighting set up is good enough, just need to move you light to 45° right or left, put a big white board on the side as reflector, and the subject far far away from the background, so no shadow cast on like what you having now. You can shoot the subject from a low angle, so it looks more gigantic.

I'm a Gundam Fan too... Just curious... your gundam models are of what scale??? 1/144 or 1/100 or even larger??? I collect Gundam W also... ;) But my worksmanship not as good as you... :embrass: The following is the list of my gundams:
- Wing Gundam (1/100)
- Wing Gundam Zero (1/100)
- Wing Gundam Zero Custom (1/100)

- Gundam Deathscythe (first version) (1/144)
- Gundam Deathscythe (second version) (1/144)
- Gundam Deathscythe Custom (1/144)

- Gundam Heavy Arms (1/144)
- Gundam Heavy Arms Custom (1/144)

- Sandrock Gundam (1/144)
- Sandrock Gundam Custom (1/144)

- Senlong Gundam (1/144)
- Senlong Gundam (second version) (1/144)
- Gundam Natuku (1/144)

- Gundam Epyon (1/144)

Oh ya, I've bought a photobook with great pictures of the gundam models including those not commonly seen MS such as Leo, Virgo, Taurus etc...

You can actually get some cheap vanguard sheets from popular. The tent works great btw.

Youhong said:
I'm a Gundam Fan too... Just curious... your gundam models are of what scale??? 1/144 or 1/100 or even larger??? I collect Gundam W also... ;) But my worksmanship not as good as you... :embrass: The following is the list of my gundams:
- Wing Gundam (1/100)
- Wing Gundam Zero (1/100)
- Wing Gundam Zero Custom (1/100)

- Gundam Deathscythe (first version) (1/144)
- Gundam Deathscythe (second version) (1/144)
- Gundam Deathscythe Custom (1/144)

- Gundam Heavy Arms (1/144)
- Gundam Heavy Arms Custom (1/144)

- Sandrock Gundam (1/144)
- Sandrock Gundam Custom (1/144)

- Senlong Gundam (1/144)
- Senlong Gundam (second version) (1/144)
- Gundam Natuku (1/144)

- Gundam Epyon (1/144)

Oh ya, I've bought a photobook with great pictures of the gundam models including those not commonly seen MS such as Leo, Virgo, Taurus etc...

Those in the photos are 1/144. I have a 1/75 Deathscythe. I have the whole set of Gundam Wing 1/144 models. Maybe 1 day I'll take them out for shoots.

Here's my 2nd try on Gundam Deathscythe.

dsc_0024e.jpg

dsc_0026e.jpg

These pictures are the results of this method suggested by Zplus. I've not bought the mahjong paper yet though.

Zplus said:

gundam1.JPG

yilishengxian said:
Here's my 2nd try on Gundam Deathscythe.

These pictures are the results of this method suggested by Zplus. I've not bought the mahjong paper yet though.

Not exactly what I had in mind... the paper needs to be seamless... since Deathscythe is large, you'd need majong paper or back of posters. If you lower your angle, your gundam will look bigger. Imagine u are a human looking up at Deathscythe! The camera should see that... then it will look big and menacing.

Just shot one on a A4 paper to show you.... since A4 paper is small, I had to pick a small subject. Just imagine this is a studio shoot and your model is your scale model...;)

An armoured VF-1J
macross1s.jpg

Here's the setup.... flash is fired with off shoe cord. Your Nikon should be able to do wireless flash if you have an external flash....:)
macross2s.jpg

These pictures were taken very long time ago... Paisae, my worksmanship not very good...
DSCF4016.jpg

Gundam Heavy Arms Custom

DSCF4019.jpg

Gundam Heavy Arms Custom

DSCF4027.jpg

Gundam Deathscythe

DSCF4041.jpg

Gundam Natuku

DSCF4822.jpg

Wing Gundam

DSCF4847.jpg

Gundam Epyon