Gulf Of Urabá

Picture Taker

Jan 7, 2017
US
Here is another from Capurganá, Colombia. I probably should state a disclaimer. I am a just hobbyist photographer and don't have any professional aspirations. Don't have paid models just take pictures of girls I know or street shots of strangers. I try to take pictures where the existing light works as that's the limit of my knowledge. I haven't gotten around to learning how to use lighting equipment and realize that may be a limitation. But I try my best, enjoy sharing my images and am grateful for opinions and pointers. Always looking to improve.

32332272573_83fa941cbb_b.jpg

Hi, as hobbyists we try to make photos as good as the pros and really it's not that difficult just knowledge of how pros do it.
The more mistakes one makes and is aware of it the faster one improves what more when you have help from fellow shooters.

One advantage you have over there is the beautiful scenery or background like the sea..here although there is the sea here but the background is full of commercial shipping.

I would say that if you only shoot in existing light then you need to know what kind of existing light is good or flattering on human subjects.For instance in this photo the light is hard or harsh which casts sharp or hard shadows depending on what effect or look you want to achieve in your vision.

Does it mean you only shoot at certain times of the day..well you could add extra lighting like the built-in on camera flash as fill light although it is not powerful meaning you have to use it at close distance to be effective.

Another way in addition to flash is to use reflectors to reflect sunlight onto the subject thereby reducing hard shadows or simply ask model to face the sun but put on a pair of sunglasses to look cool. Shooting in the shade and adding fill flash is another alternative too.

Now for the pose..notice when the limbs are away from the body makes them slimmer?
Same for the hair in this case it's better to sweep it behind the arm rather than covering her left arm as she looks like the hairy chewbacca of starwars..sorry.
Hair also.obscures the left shoulder and arm.

Be careful of how you pose the legs..better to extend or straighten legs and give flowing lines.As it is the left leg looks amputated at the knee.

Watch the hands..have fingers close together rather than like a bunch of bananas ( open or splayed) or claw like. In this case it might be better if the right hand touch her knee than resting on her wrist..again the look of the fingers. If unsure of how to place or pose hands make model do something with her hands like touching or handling ssomething like her hair,etc.These are the more major corrections that matter.
Good luck.

Ha ha some amusing descriptions there but a thorough analysis and thank you. I have to admit I didn't pose her, she just took poses she liked. And yes it was around mid day when we got there so harsh light. I should have used fill flash. I did use it on her once very early in the morning about 6:30 and it helped the image. My shots of her will never go in a magazine or a gallery, just her Instagram. Anyway practice, practice...

Reactions: Yappy