Guitars anyone? Acoustic

Status
Not open for further replies.

megkris

Jun 12, 2004
East/west
Hi all,

Feelin the itch to spend money. Since i feel that i have a complete (IMO) photography set, I am looking for ways to spend some moolah to reward myself.

Am looking at acoustic guitars and found out abt this site. www.ishibashi.co.jp

saw their martin guitars and i am quite tempted to get the 000-28ec

but to get a guitar w/o trying is stoopid and i would like opinions on this online retailer and also opinions on 2 brands of guitar.

namely martin (gonna fixed with fishman matrix) or the taylors 700 or 800 series. (i like rosewood n sitka spruce top)

budget up to 6k.

any opinions appreciated

cheers

to add......

i have currently a takamine and a fender am std strat, thinking of higher end acoustic guitars.

cheers

Maybe should start a guitar website? haha.

Anyway you should play it to test the sound for yourself; it's rather personal. For Martins, go to City Music; Taylor, if I'm not wrong Sinamex (not sure if spelliing correct) carries them. These 2 shops in the same area. In any event, you can't go wrong with these 2 brands. I own a value for money no frills Seagull (made in Canada) - but won't interest you lah. You make me drool man.... 6K budget for an accoustic!

Cheers

For acoustic guitars I'd definitely take the Taylors over the Martins. :)

Strangely enough, I remember years ago I heard a guitar that sounded SOOOO sweet that everyone loved the sound. Thinking it was some high-end Taylor or something, I was surprised that it was a brand called Craftman (made in the USA) and fitted with electric guitar strings. The guitar only cost around $200 or so, it sure beats any Taylor I've ever heard. Sadly, my friend somehow managed to 'break' that guitar :cry:

i know you stated only martins or taylors. but personally, i like neither of them. i feel that they are over priced and you end up paying for the brand.

for pickups, the last brand i'd go for is fishman. i personally use B-band with the AST.

you have a huge budget. and here is what i suggest you consider first.

1) decide what kind of sound you want. fat and round - go for a jumbo. heavy booming bass - dreadnought. sweet - OM, grand audi. Unconventional - look for Seagull or Larrivee who make their own custom body shapes

2) what brand do you want? i urge you to consider beyond taylor and martin and takamine. these typical brands don't cut it IMO. martin makes fine guitars, but are over priced. Taylors are overpriced and sound thin. taks have too stiff a top and are mainly stage guitars - even so, their pickups arent too fantastic.

there are many other brands you can get with your large budget. import from overseas? Go for brands/luthiers like Jamie Kinscherff, Kathy Wingert, Froggybottom, Huss and Dalton, Olson, lakewood, maton etc.

gettin brands from individual luthiers will cost anywhere from 3K usd to over 15k usd.

my personal take - consider the Maton Messiah (dreadnought) and the Larrivee upper end series. the maton messiah really sings and each note is as clear as a bell. their maton pickup mated with a condenser mic is one of the finest i've heard. The larrivees are great axes as well. I tried thier lowest end - the 01 series. Solid top and laminated backs and sides. to me, that 01 series guitar was better than Taylor's $3000SGD range.

if you're open to looking for a great guitar at a great price, go for the Simon and Patrick/Seagull brand. both under the ownership of Godin, these canadian made guitars are one of the best value for money axes you can get.

3) what pickup system do you want? fishman? to me...it's a brand i won't buy. sounds tacky and plasticky. i'd go for LR Baggs iMIX or B-band A6.2 or K&K trinity series.

4) woods? rosewood? ebony for fretboard? sitka, engelmann or canadian spruce for top? maybe cedar? each one gives different sounds. it all depends on what kind of sound you hope to achieve. if you're playing in a large band, go for something bright that can cut through the mix. you can also choose exotic woods like walnut, koa (wow this rocks) etc for the back.

hope ive helped. :)

U might also wanna check out Alvarez. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can try them out at Bras Basah. IIRC itz at one of e corner ends somewhere near Art Friend.

Go there n spent e whole day juz testing also can.

Oh yeah... in my opinion e top of e guitar is something u gotta take note of when making purchase (spruce, solid, etc...)

My humble 2 cts... :)

hazta said:
U might also wanna check out Alvarez. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can try them out at Bras Basah. IIRC itz at one of e corner ends somewhere near Art Friend.

Go there n spent e whole day juz testing also can.

Oh yeah... in my opinion e top of e guitar is something u gotta take note of when making purchase (spruce, solid, etc...)

My humble 2 cts... :)

erm...the alvarez has 2 kinds. the normal alvarez...and the higher end Alvarez-Yairi. go for the yairi. :)

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i know you stated only martins or taylors. but personally, i like neither of them. i feel that they are over priced and you end up paying for the brand.

for pickups, the last brand i'd go for is fishman. i personally use B-band with the AST.

you have a huge budget. and here is what i suggest you consider first.

1) decide what kind of sound you want. fat and round - go for a jumbo. heavy booming bass - dreadnought. sweet - OM, grand audi. Unconventional - look for Seagull or Larrivee who make their own custom body shapes

2) what brand do you want? i urge you to consider beyond taylor and martin and takamine. these typical brands don't cut it IMO. martin makes fine guitars, but are over priced. Taylors are overpriced and sound thin. taks have too stiff a top and are mainly stage guitars - even so, their pickups arent too fantastic.

there are many other brands you can get with your large budget. import from overseas? Go for brands/luthiers like Jamie Kinscherff, Kathy Wingert, Froggybottom, Huss and Dalton, Olson, lakewood, maton etc.

gettin brands from individual luthiers will cost anywhere from 3K usd to over 15k usd.

my personal take - consider the Maton Messiah (dreadnought) and the Larrivee upper end series. the maton messiah really sings and each note is as clear as a bell. their maton pickup mated with a condenser mic is one of the finest i've heard. The larrivees are great axes as well. I tried thier lowest end - the 01 series. Solid top and laminated backs and sides. to me, that 01 series guitar was better than Taylor's $3000SGD range.

if you're open to looking for a great guitar at a great price, go for the Simon and Patrick/Seagull brand. both under the ownership of Godin, these canadian made guitars are one of the best value for money axes you can get.

3) what pickup system do you want? fishman? to me...it's a brand i won't buy. sounds tacky and plasticky. i'd go for LR Baggs iMIX or B-band A6.2 or K&K trinity series.

4) woods? rosewood? ebony for fretboard? sitka, engelmann or canadian spruce for top? maybe cedar? each one gives different sounds. it all depends on what kind of sound you hope to achieve. if you're playing in a large band, go for something bright that can cut through the mix. you can also choose exotic woods like walnut, koa (wow this rocks) etc for the back.

hope ive helped. :)

This is excellent write up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought I'm one of the few who appreciate Godin guitars.... some friends think my Seagull is made in china maybe because of the less than fashionable name. But these no frills guitars really sound good. They excell on areas that matters... especially the selection of woods for the soundboard. Oh one more thing, I fixed the LR Baggs IBeam (active) on my guitar and the sound is very darn close to the guitar's sound; a fresh change from the rather electric sound of most piezzo or undersaddle pickups. But if you play live alot, feedback on the IBeam can be rather high, though can be reduced using pre-amps like the para D.I. Check it out.....

Cheers.

yeap. one way to counter the problem is to use a sound hole cover. and thats also why i suggested the iMIX. the iMix combines the iBeam with an element active pickup. fantastic sound.

another one is the b-band A6.2 with XOM (crossovermix) technology. combines the treble sweetness of the AST with the stunning lows of the UST.

the fishman matrix is one pickup that sounds like an electric guitar pickup....cmi

of course...if you can afford it...the K&K trinity is :thumbsup:

Megkris: I've actually written a guitar guide that was meant for the guitarists in my church. In it i have a section on choosing and buying a guitar. if you want it, do let me know and i'll gladly email it to you. :)

Yeah I have sound hole cover too but somehow it takes away some of the punch from the sound....

My friend bought from Ishibashi with no problem.
Even if you're just paying for a brand, if the guitar makes you happy, I think it's worth it :)

Are there any local shops you can try out the guitar?

tks for all replies. I hear y'all. Have nt tried enuff models of larrivees (tried 1 or 2) depends on supplies as this is a small irish family.

i must admit i ve not tried seagulls...

as per the thin sound of the taylors , my guess its personal perf. IMO Martin sounds good overall and yes they are overpriced,,,...

I'm looking for OM as ive already hav a dreadnaught.

and tksfor the advice on the pickuops

cheers

always heard that seagulls sound better as they get older.

Can anyone confirm this?

If i had the $$ i would go custom.

Hi,

I own a seagull and yes it gets better with time. But that goes with most guitars too (for solid tops at least; not sure whether that's true for laminate tops), but it's not just from passage of time. The wood starts to open up with playing. I don't think an old guitar left for years without playing will necessarily sound better than a new one. My 2 cents worth....

Hi guys, tks for the advices

Bot my dream guitar tdy...A santa cruz OM...

Now i will enjoy it before i fix a pickup on it....

any luthiers to recommend. was told that the guitar hospital guy (steven) is quite good. How much does a good one cost. (as simple as possible).

no more $$ liao

Cheers

francis poh , guitar workshop at Bras basah.

Anyone tried the LR Baggs M1 active (Plug n Play). Thinkin of it so that i will not nee to damage my new baby. Read good reviews, Does fixing it on the soundboard spoil the guitar finish?

tks

Status
Not open for further replies.