guidelines for IC photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savager

Jun 12, 2004
does anyone know the general guidelines for taking IC photos ( DIY ) ? for example.. must show the ear or not.. where must the head be positioned in the picture.. dimensions etc.. and is it true that we're not allowed to grin in the photo?? :confused: thanks in advance!

"Your photograph image should be between 25mm and 35mm from chin to crown."

what does this mean? i don't really understand that point.

anyway, OT : what coloured shirt would you wear for taking ur own ID pic against the white background? black? which colour do you think is the best?

anyway, OT : what coloured shirt would you wear for taking ur own ID pic against the white background? black? which colour do you think is the best?

That requirement is for printed photo submission. You should be looking at the digital requirements.

As for colour, anything that can stand out from the white background can be used.

Look here for more info :

How to take a digital photograph for submission via APPLES?

Chin to crown means measured vertically from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.

You can see a sample photo when you step through the online application submission process. This sample photo appears before you actually confirm your submission. You can therefore copy the sample photo and then exit the application. No processing will be done when you exit the online application before the final confirmation page. The photo has 2 red lines across showing the required dimensions.

I happen to have done my last month and I sent mine in by internet which save me $10. Okay what I want to add is....Don't send them a colour picture of yourself. If you are capable with using Photoshop, take the photo and convert it to black and white and adjust the grey ranges and shades to your face. I made a pig mistake by giving them my picture it colour which they willing to take. Problem is...they did a conversion to a black and white photo and aiyo....I end up with dark complexion and everything is just wrong! The only way for me to solve it would be to go pay for another passport.

So get your measurement right, follow their tips on how to frame your shot..but after all that is done...do the conversion yourself and try to adjust the tone to your face in black and white. At least if you submit it, they will use it as is or at least it should come out better then what they did with mine man when they "help" me convert it to black and white.

That requirement is for printed photo submission. You should be looking at the digital requirements.

As for colour, anything that can stand out from the white background can be used.

Look here for more info :

How to take a digital photograph for submission via APPLES?

yup.. cos i actually need to print out the photos for some other use.. can't submit it online.. but i just want to DIY. ;)

I happen to have done my last month and I sent mine in by internet which save me $10. Okay what I want to add is....Don't send them a colour picture of yourself. If you are capable with using Photoshop, take the photo and convert it to black and white and adjust the grey ranges and shades to your face. I made a pig mistake by giving them my picture it colour which they willing to take. Problem is...they did a conversion to a black and white photo and aiyo....I end up with dark complexion and everything is just wrong! The only way for me to solve it would be to go pay for another passport.

So get your measurement right, follow their tips on how to frame your shot..but after all that is done...do the conversion yourself and try to adjust the tone to your face in black and white. At least if you submit it, they will use it as is or at least it should come out better then what they did with mine man when they "help" me convert it to black and white.

how come they convert to black and white?? hmm.. its okay for me.. since i'd be printing it out anyway.. reason being for not going to the developing shops to take is because i wanna do some facial retouching on photoshop first.. haha. seems hard to get the correct dimensions leh.

You can see a sample photo when you step through the online application submission process. This sample photo appears before you actually confirm your submission. You can therefore copy the sample photo and then exit the application. No processing will be done when you exit the online application before the final confirmation page. The photo has 2 red lines across showing the required dimensions.

hmm.. okay.. that would be useful.. thanks! btw, if the wall is not "smooth" and purely white, would the photo be rejected? are they stringent on such stuff?

Not sure how stringent ICA is really. Chances are if you do not photoshop to remove birthmarks or such likes on the subject's face it's ok. Likely you can get by by touching up the background.
When I DIY for my family I had a piece of mahjong paper behind the subject. I also gotten the subject to hold another piece in front (just like reading a newspaper) to throw soft front light on the face. There should not be any shadows also. All my shots were accepted by ICA. Lucky me since it was my first newbie attempt.
BTW, if the subject wears glasses, watch out for reflection and make sure the eyes are not partially covered by the frame.
Cheers.

When I submitted to ICA last time (for passport), I just chose an available photo with frontal shot of the face, cropped it, edited the background to paint it all white (don't even need Photoshop, just use the mspaint program in windows) and made sure the size is within limits. They accepted it, no probs. As long as the size is ok, the face can see clearly, should be ok. It's not a photo competition or something.

yup.. cos i actually need to print out the photos for some other use.. can't submit it online.. but i just want to DIY. ;)

There was another thread previously on printing out passport sized photos, go hunt for it. There was a guide in there on how to size it so as to get out about 8 passport photos from a 4R pic.

how come they convert to black and white?? hmm.. its okay for me.. since i'd be printing it out anyway.. reason being for not going to the developing shops to take is because i wanna do some facial retouching on photoshop first.. haha. seems hard to get the correct dimensions leh.

Well that is something you will need to experiment with lah to get the dimension correct..etc. Well I submited a colour photo thinking they would allow colour picture on the passsport so I adjusted the colour just right for that purpose but shock I was that the passport ended up being b/w!! My Previous one was in colour so I thought this will carry on being so. If I had known I would have adjusted the tone of my complexion instead now..I look like a tan guy who played too much golf and is a suntan freak!...now each time I look at the passport...heart pain man heheh....

There was another thread previously on printing out passport sized photos, go hunt for it. There was a guide in there on how to size it so as to get out about 8 passport photos from a 4R pic.

oh.. i found one at hwz.. lol.

btw, is it okay to remove the moles on my face using photoshop? moles considered birthmark anot ar :bsmilie:

most photolabs will charge you the price of printing passport photos if you do that

most photolabs will charge you the price of printing passport photos if you do that

Nope... I printed it once for my fren and was charged $0.50 only.

Should tell us which shops do that so that we can all boycott it.:bsmilie:

So far, none of the ones I goto such as KT, Konota attempt to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.