Guidelines: Critique Corner Postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Please read and understand before posting in the Critique Corner.

Before You Post:
a) Critique Corner is created for the sole and single purpose of getting feedback on images - feedback can be both good and bad, be prepared to take both in good faith.

b) At all times, please refrain from posting personal or insidious remarks meant to degrade, humiliate or otherwise disparage a fellow member's postings (image or comments). Due to the potential volatile nature of this subforum, we will adhere to a higher standard of moderation in regards to this guideline. Keep the comments strictly pertaining to the image, not the member.

When You Post:
a) Members are only allowed to post ONE image PER week. This is to allow enough time for critiques to be written.

a) Please keep your image dimensions to a comfortable size to facilitate easier viewing. We recommend the width to be no larger than 800 pixels.

b) When posting comments, please stick to the image in question and not disparage the member.

c) For the image poster, please include a short caption or description of the image or on specific areas where you want feedback on.

d) For the comment poster, I append some guidelines suggested by member Zaren for starters :-

Zaren said:
1. critiques will not merely be "crap shot!", "nice shot!" or :thumbsup:
2. the critique will include constructive comments/suggestions on how to improve the photo.
3. reasons will be given why the critique giver thinks the shot is good, or why the shot is weak/bad.
4. ppl who post photos for critique must not take offence at any negative comments/critique even if the comments are as brutal as simon cowell's.
5. unless otherwise stated, everyone giving a photo critique here is NOT a pro, NOT an expert, and does NOT have to show anyone their own portfolio to justify that they are worthy of critiquing photos. however, they are interested in learning how to critique better and more constructively, through practice.

some guidelines for those giving photo critiques;
- Framing/Composition (e.g. how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
- Exposure/Tones (e.g. over blown highlights)
- Color/WB
- sharpness
- Post-Process Workflow
- artistic merit

some guidelines for photographers posting photos for critique;
1. know your subject
2. draw attention to your subject
3. simplify.
it would also be helpful to post a short paragraph telling us why you took the pic and what you were trying to achieve photographically.

Please note that this Guideline is a Work-in-Progress and we will add/modify as the subforum develops.

Good idea! Hope it works this time round!

err, 800 pixels is how big a file size, still very bad in the digital lay, is it the same as a pic of about 50kb?

cool! I thought this from roygoh's msg is a good idea..

my suggestion is for zaren to take the lead in organising a group of members who will commit to giving more indepth photo critiques. The group can then go around the various subforums to critique photos, and can communicate among themselves via PM for issues such as load sharing and alerting each other of threads that require attention. That way your presence can be felt throughout the forum and I think that would be the most effective way in promoting good critiques in CS.

Members who are interested in reading zaren's or the rest of the critique group's posts can always do a search for the repective nicks. Members who want to receive critiques from the critique group can always PM any of the group member. Members who are motivated to give more indepth critiques can do so anytime, and do not have to "officially" join zaren's enthusiasts group first.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This would really help newbies like me improve, willing to take the good with the bad is what it is all about.

Special thanks to swingoutsister who started the thread that makes this all happen.

../azul123

denniskee said:
err, 800 pixels is how big a file size, still very bad in the digital lay, is it the same as a pic of about 50kb?

800x600pixels display size, about 100 to 200kilobytes filesize...

thanks for setting up the critique corner, darren. :)

Would this sub-forum discourage serious critique on photos posted on other sub-forum? :dunno:

Hosea said:
Would this sub-forum discourage serious critique on photos posted on other sub-forum? :dunno:
I think not...

This forum would make one thinks about which image he/she wanted to up for critique. Remember it is one image... for me that would mean I need to consider why this image and why I liked it, so when someone else gives feedback on it, makes me think about other perspectives and viewpoints looking at the same image.

../azul123

Hosea said:

no.....serious critique is encouraged everywhere. however, resources and effort is scarce as it takes time to write a critique. this sub-forum makes it easier for ppl to give photo critiques in a frank manner, warts and all. not every photographer is comfortable with such blunt feedback, or is humble enough to be critiqued by a non-pro, non-expert. if they post here, that clearly signals their intention to receive feedback with an open mind. in return, they are guaranteed constructive criticism of their photograph.

Good effort by the team... Guess this is the next best thing after the forum contest and free gallery.

azul123 said:
I think not...

This forum would make one thinks about which image he/she wanted to up for critique. Remember it is one image... for me that would mean I need to consider why this image and why I liked it, so when someone else gives feedback on it, makes me think about other perspectives and viewpoints looking at the same image.

../azul123

zaren said:
no.....serious critique is encouraged everywhere. however, resources and effort is scarce as it takes time to write a critique. this sub-forum makes it easier for ppl to give photo critiques in a frank manner, warts and all. not every photographer is comfortable with such blunt feedback, or is humble enough to be critiqued by a non-pro, non-expert. if they post here, that clearly signals their intention to receive feedback with an open mind. in return, they are guaranteed constructive criticism of their photograph.

Personally, I think this sub-forum would erode the serious attempt
to comment on photos posted in other sub-forums in certain extend.

Photos posted in other forums would be deem as "for viewings or
some kopitiam talks ".
It might continue to suffer from the lack of viewer’s serious critique.

One good example --->there is an immediate transfer of one photo
for critique to this forum from the landscape forum.

Anyway, there is always a Pro and Con for every new idea and implementation.

I believe the CS has already considered all aspects before the birth
of this new sub-forum. I appreciate it.

All the Best! :).
I will support this sub-forum.

Hosea said:
Personally, I think this sub-forum would erode the serious attempt to comment on photos posted in other sub-forums in certain extend.

Photos posted in other forums would be deem as "for viewings or some
kopitiam talks ".
It might continue to suffer from the lack of viewer’s serious critique.
Problems not solved yet.

One good example --->there is an immediate transfer of one photo for critique to this forum from the landscape forum.

Anyway, there is always a Pro and Con for every new idea and implementation.

I believe the CS has already considered all aspects before the birth of this forum

All the Best! :).
I will support this sub-forum.
Thanks for the feedback. Sad to say that there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

We would definitely encourage members to try and leave some constructive feedback on members posts in the Photo Galleries, but for most members (if I am not wrong) the Photo Galleries are a just an avenue to share their images taken at outings or other occasions.

We have been trying (perhaps not very hard) to inculcate members to provide better critiques in the Photo Galleries, but realise that it may be difficult because
a) of the number of threads posts and/or
b) the large number of images in the threads themselves.

Hopefully, this time round, the Critique Corner will provide a section for those photographers who really want some constructive feedback on their work. Having a single dedicated area makes it easier for both image posters and critics.

In time, the Critique Corner (or rather the members' expertise to provide good critique) may be such improved that critiques can be done forum-wide instead of just within a single area.

Darren said:
Thanks for the feedback. Sad to say that there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

We would definitely encourage members to try and leave some constructive feedback on members posts in the Photo Galleries, but for most members (if I am not wrong) the Photo Galleries are a just an avenue to share their images taken at outings or other occasions.

We have been trying (perhaps not very hard) to inculcate members to provide better critiques in the Photo Galleries, but realise that it may be difficult because
a) of the number of threads posts and/or
b) the large number of images in the threads themselves.

Hopefully, this time round, the Critique Corner will provide a section for those photographers who really want some constructive feedback on their work. Having a single dedicated area makes it easier for both image posters and critics.

In time, the Critique Corner (or rather the members' expertise to provide good critique) may be such improved that critiques can be done forum-wide instead of just within a single area.

i agree, excellent effort for starting this :thumbsup:
without this Critique Corner, the other galleries will continue to 'degenerate' (at least that's how i see it)
with this Critique Corner, at least there's a constant awareness.

eikin said:
i agree, excellent effort for starting this :thumbsup:
without this Critique Corner, the other galleries will continue to 'degenerate' (at least that's how i see it)
with this Critique Corner, at least there's a constant awareness.

Tx Darren, I support this idea of Critique Corner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and also do agree with eikin's above comment.

Darren
another suggestion/feedback for critique corner...
to minimize that the critics post similar feedbacks, I suggest that later critics read what earlier critics have posted should post something that wasnt said before...

otherwise the CSer looking for feedback is gonna find a whole thread with repeated posts... will be hard to read =)

Just count the number of times B&W has been mentioned in Mpenza's post =D

Darren said:
When You Post:
a) Members are only allowed to post ONE image PER week. This is to allow enough time for critiques to be written.

This is a good idea. Hard to comment on submissions with loads of images. But hard to enforce. As it is, there are some posting more than one image already. Then it makes this forum no different from the specific galleries.

Cheers,

benny said:
This is a good idea. Hard to comment on submissions with loads of images. But hard to enforce. As it is, there are some posting more than one image already. Then it makes this forum no different from the specific galleries.

Cheers,

so far only nick has posted 2 images while the rest have posted 1 image each. i think a gentle reminder at this stage is sufficient.

zaren said:
so far only nick has posted 2 images while the rest have posted 1 image each. i think a gentle reminder at this stage is sufficient.
Hi all, Thanks for creating this special photo critique sub-forum. I find that this is what we need, it's very helpful and beneficial especially for newbie and amateur who serious in improving their photography skill and technique. Here is the place where they can turn to and seeking for advises.

As for the "gurus", here is the place where they can share their invaluable experience, skills and thoughts, this is also assure they will not step into flame war in justifying their qualification when unintentionally leave "unwelcome" comments.

Btw, as for the posting limit, I hope 1 original and 1 "enhanced" copy is not too much. :)

Thanks again for all putting such great efforts to promote Better Photography!

Cheers!
ST.

I would encourage anyone who post a picture for critique to make an effort to write comments for others as well, so that we can have a more perspectives and active forum.

It seems that there are only a few people who are regularly giving comments.

And I hope besides minus points, plus points should be given so that the reader knows what they should go for in the future, besides what to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.