Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion, would it be good if there is a simple rating scheme like:

Overall Impression : ? / 5
Image Quality (colour/WB/contrast/brightness) : ? / 5
Composition/Framing : ? / 5
Exposure : ? / 5
Artistic merit (tell a thousand words) : ? /5

I believe with the above rating, it's very straightforward to tell the photographer what works and what need to work harder. :)

What's your opinion? :think:

Thanks all.

ST_sg: It's definitely good, I suggest just include in your post that U need this sort of feedback. But bear in mind these only guidelines, all ratings can be subjective. which maybe become confusing =)

Another suggestion is you rate yr own pic first then people give their rating, would make for a very interesting point of view =)

hi all....

many thanks to everyone who has posted photos and critiques on this forum....keep them coming!

a gentle reminder to everyone.....please remember to post constructive critiques on this forum. i know it takes time and hard work, but that's why this corner was formed in the first place. don't just say "good shot!", "crap shot!" or "doesn't work". say why you think the shot is good/bad, and give suggestions how to improve the shot. may i suggest a minimum length of say 30 words for every critique posted in this forum?

thanks for your understanding!

:cool:

zaren said:
may i suggest a minimum length of say 30 words for every critique posted in this forum?

erm ... depends on situation lah ... maybe at least a short sentence that serves to analyse the picture?

I have been reading this forum and posted 1 photo so far; but I do have a couple of observations:

1) Some seem really impatient - take this link for example taken of after 1 day becoz' of 1 lacklustre comment... I didn't even get to see the bloody photo!!!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=140649

2) People being too kind... I understand the need for humility and all that, but sometimes holding back can be as bad for a newbie such as myself! I actually enjoy harsh criticisms so I can learn!

3) Posters being defensive! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CRITICIZED, perhaps you shouldn't post here!

otherwise, I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to offer constructive feedback to the photographs! you guys have made this place great!

i love the fact that the administrators have considered the suggestions of it's members. a critique corner in an esteemed online community such as this is a god send for noobs.
cant wait to post.
can someone teach me how to post a picture?

sejok said:
I have been reading this forum and posted 1 photo so far; but I do have a couple of observations:

1) Some seem really impatient - take this link for example taken of after 1 day becoz' of 1 lacklustre comment... I didn't even get to see the bloody photo!!!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=140649

2) People being too kind... I understand the need for humility and all that, but sometimes holding back can be as bad for a newbie such as myself! I actually enjoy harsh criticisms so I can learn!

3) Posters being defensive! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CRITICIZED, perhaps you shouldn't post here!

otherwise, I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to offer constructive feedback to the photographs! you guys have made this place great!

After a little while, you will know who you are wasting your time on.

While I am always prepared to give critiques, I have decided to SEVERELY limit myself. There are some people whom you will want to engage.

Another problem is that some nuts will want you to justify your critique. not understanding the fundamental concept that giving critiques is giving what a person think about the image. A critique is far from the Ten Commandments. A critique only represents another person's view for the original photographer to consider.

student said:

While I am always prepared to give critiques, I have decided to SEVERELY limit myself. There are some people whom you will want to engage.

Another problem is that some nuts will want you to justify your critique. not understanding the fundamental concept that giving critiques is giving what a person think about the image. A critique is far from the Ten Commandments. A critique only represents another person's view for the original photographer to consider.

student....

your critiques are always appreciated here, and i'm sure many others will agree with me. i agree that you don't need to justify your critique, that is your POV on the photo submitted. as stated in the guidelines, there is also absolutely no need to justify, by showing a portfolio of your work, that you are qualified to give a critique.

zaren said:
student....

your critiques are always appreciated here, and i'm sure many others will agree with me. i agree that you don't need to justify your critique, that is your POV on the photo submitted. as stated in the guidelines, there is also absolutely no need to justify, by showing a portfolio of your work, that you are qualified to give a critique.

Zaren, believe me I have the highest repect for you. It takes effort to contribute time to give critiques.

But time and again, in this forum and others, sometimes you will enounter some nuts who will want to challenge your points, as if to decide who is right or wrong. Who will win. And it is not even their images. And this can get tiring.

While I personally seek "qualified" people to critique my images for very specific reasons, I agree with you that in a forum like this, the "qualification" of the one offering critique is not that crucial.

Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.

I will be getting my PSCs2 next week. And hopefully learn how to do simple things like loading my pictures to website.

AntiFruits said:
i love the fact that the administrators have considered the suggestions of it's members. a critique corner in an esteemed online community such as this is a god send for noobs.
cant wait to post.
can someone teach me how to post a picture?

hi antifruits....welcome to the forum!
to post a picture, u need to upload the picture to an online gallery, either the clubsnap gallery or another image hosting site like photobucket. then copy the address link of your photo, e.g. http:\photobucket\antifruits\photo.jpg
and paste it in the clubsnap message posting box in this format:

so....for this example, it would be

student said:

why is there a need for such a 'compromise?' you can always choose to ignore who/what you think doesn't make sense.

student said:
Nonetheless, I had long thought of sharing some images of mine. It is only "fair". I am VERY bad with computer stuff. I have images loaded in my computer, but not able to post because the files were too big. Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.

I will be getting my PSCs2 next week. And hopefully learn how to do simple things like loading my pictures to website.

if you have PS installed in your computer, feel free to PM me, i'm no expert in computer but i may be able to help you on resizing and posting images online.

student said:

Twice I requested advice on how to downsize my files. But I received absolutely no responses.
Hmmm...never notice the requests. Ya, PM eikin or me if you need help in PS.

student said:
Zaren, believe me I have the highest repect for you. It takes effort to contribute time to give critiques.

But time and again, in this forum and others, sometimes you will enounter some nuts who will want to challenge your points, as if to decide who is right or wrong. Who will win. And it is not even their images. And this can get tiring.

While I personally seek "qualified" people to critique my images for very specific reasons, I agree with you that in a forum like this, the "qualification" of the one offering critique is not that crucial.

thx student.... don't forget there are *many* tireless ppl who post critiques here regularly. they are the true driving force behind the critique corner who make sure that every picture gets critiqued!

to downsize your file in PS....
open your image file in PS
select "image" option from top toolbar
select "image size" option
enter your desired image size;
pixel dimensions: width = 640, height = 480 (good enough for web use)
save your resized image, select "file"
"save as"
type in desired image filename
select "jpg" as your file format from the scroll box below the filename
select jpg quality for your saved image (recommend 8 out of a scale of 10)
select "ok"

this procedure will resize your image to not more than 150 kB in size.

zaren said:
thx student.... don't forget there are *many* tireless ppl who post critiques here regularly. they are the true driving force behind the critique corner who make sure that every picture gets critiqued!

to downsize your file in PS....
open your image file in PS
select "image" option from top toolbar
select "image size" option
enter your desired image size;
pixel dimensions: width = 640, height = 480 (good enough for web use)
save your resized image, select "file"
"save as"
type in desired image filename
select "jpg" as your file format from the scroll box below the filename
select jpg quality for your saved image (recommend 8 out of a scale of 10)
select "ok"

this procedure will resize your image to not more than 150 kB in size.

Thanks.

Will be getting my PS on Monday. But using it will be on hold for a couple of weeks. Going to Tuscany next week!

hey thanks a lot zaren. =)

Hello...I cant seem to post my pictures as attachments as its stated under the posting rules? Is it because I havent reached a certain number of posts?

student said:
student (and those that are still pondering how to resize and post their images),

There is a short tutorial here - Guide to Resizing and Cropping and another thread in the forum - Users Guide to Posting Images in the Forums - to advise on how to store your images in the Gallery and link them to your posts in the Forums.

Both these guides should suffice to get your images published online.

Darren said:
student (and those that are still pondering how to resize and post their images),

There is a short tutorial here - Guide to Resizing and Cropping and another thread in the forum - Users Guide to Posting Images in the Forums - to advise on how to store your images in the Gallery and link them to your posts in the Forums.

Both these guides should suffice to get your images published online.

Thanks. Will be collecting my PS in a couple of hours! hope I can understand it!

Just to say that the admin has done a good job by listening to us and giving us our critique corner...

Another thing is that due to my eagerness to post, i did not read the guideline of 1 post per week.. i posted 2 in 5 days? Haha... pardon me ah... will try and keep my enthusiam in check!

Status
Not open for further replies.