Guided tour of the Nat'l Library Stamford Rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcryan55

Hi...all,

As you may have known, the STamford Road National Library will officially closed its door on 31 Mar 2004.During these period prior to its closing, NLB is organising guided tour for the place before it goes.
However, when I called them to check yesterday, all tours have been fully booked to date. I appealled to them to squeeze a time slot for maybe photographers in Clubsnap. They agreed only if there is a minimum number of 15 persons. Some conditions they made known:

1. Strictly no photography during the tour as they want to retain the rights to the photos of the library.
2. They'll outline to all the areas that they allow photography before the tour starts.
3. The tour will likely be in the late afternoon til early evening.

See the url to check:
http://www.nlb.gov.sg/nlsite/moments1.htm

I'm now trying to persuade NLB to allow us to take photo for some of the interior so that photo enthusiasts like us can get better compositiion for the photo competition that it is organising. Am trying to work out if we can take photographs but only for personal use and is not to be published or distribution in mass media. NLB says can see how to work it out but everyone in attendance may have to sign a certain form to agree to that.

So, Those interested, pls put down yr name. Will update when I reach 15 person and talked with NLB.

i think you can get some advise from one of clubsnappers here...he's the guy with the ridiculously large flash bounce card... ;)

jcryan55 said:
Hi...all,

As you may have known, the STamford Road National Library will officially closed its door on 31 Mar 2004.During these period prior to its closing, NLB is organising guided tour for the place before it goes.
However, when I called them to check yesterday, all tours have been fully booked to date. I appealled to them to squeeze a time slot for maybe photographers in Clubsnap. They agreed only if there is a minimum number of 15 persons. Some conditions they made known:

1. Strictly no photography during the tour as they want to retain the rights to the photos of the library.
2. They'll outline to all the areas that they allow photography before the tour starts.
3. The tour will likely be in the late afternoon til early evening.

I find it very ridiculous that since this is a NATIONAL monument/icon and will be closing forever (for good or for bad?), why do they still need to have so many restirctions and why do you still need guided tours? Most of us (at least the old folks here) have grown up with this icon in the past and with fond memories, and it is very sad to see it going to be closed permanently. As we are going to take mostly the exterior : National Library building (exterior), front porch, foyer and courtyard why can't they just let the public have the last bash? Allow all Singaporeans who are keen to participate. For those ppl who are still serious abt reading/working in the national libraby during these last days, they should try to understand the whole situation and maybe use the other libraries, if they think that these photogs will disturb them.
As the tours have been fully booked, do you mean that many of us will not be able to take the pics?

My personal opinion is that NL should allow all Singaporean (but limited photgs for each batch, say 12) to go through most, if not all the places and corners in the library to take memorable pics which may be useful /more artistic, etc , but maybe place some simple restrictions:
1. copyrights reserved to NLB, for private views, etc.
2. everyone has say 30 mins to complete the distance (interior and the actual reading/book sections)
3. strictly no flash, etc...

Just imagine taking images of those old volumes of thick books, high shelvings, rows of shelves, some old folks who are still working there since the 50's etc...
NLB belongs to the people, the people should be allowed to enjoy it for the last time!

Wake up Singapore, open up your mind!

yeah...wake up NLB! or at least give ClubSNAP members exclusive rights to shoot inside.. :complain: :complain:

I attended a guided tour at NL today without pre-registration. They were accomodating although registrations were full.

This is secret. I noticed people in the tour carrying cameras and video cameras. So I asked. The reply is although offically no photography allowed, they will not stop you if you do photography during the tour. So, bring along your camera and do photography 'discreetly'.

I think the Board knows that Stamford road NL has held many memorable moments for Singaporeans.

jcryan55 said:
Hi...all,

So, Those interested, pls put down yr name. Will update when I reach 15 person and talked with NLB.

I have been thinking about taking photo of the NLB before its closing. Count me in!

1. cheesin

Hi...Talked to NLB people today. Got some good advice. As all their guided tour are currently oversubscripted. All vacancies have been taken up for last and this coming weekends.

But NLB has decided that starting from 1st Mar, they will extend the opening hours of the Stamford library from 5pm to 9pm for weekends only. Durng these period, members of the public can tour freely without any guide at the premises of the library. So, this is a good news for those who will miss the guided tour.

mmmh....how abt an photo outing to the library?

jcryan55 said:
Hi...Talked to NLB people today. Got some good advice. As all their guided tour are currently oversubscripted. All vacancies have been taken up for last and this coming weekends.

But NLB has decided that starting from 1st Mar, they will extend the opening hours of the Stamford library from 5pm to 9pm for weekends only. Durng these period, members of the public can tour freely without any guide at the premises of the library. So, this is a good news for those who will miss the guided tour.

mmmh....how abt an photo outing to the library?

Beoy Tahan liao, why wait until 1 Mar ? Going to close soon why not they start this weekend? Maybe you talk to them again, please. Maybe just for Clubsnappers only? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.