Guide me for my 1st DSLR

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
Okay guys .
Just got myself a N D5000 . Happy because its my first DSLR I should say .
What is the first step for me to learn/read thru before I mess around with my settings.?

and what others stuff I need to know too ?

This must be a noob question . When I want to keep my cam in the camera bag itself , is it a must to remove the lens?

Dry container? Is it really compulsory

read your user manual.

best advice.

:thumbsup:

alot of people dont read manuals, then come and ask about how to do this and that, when its all being explained in the manuals...

is it a must to remove the lens? no

Dry container? Is it really compulsory? no

Read your manual, learn about the shuttle speed, aperture.
(if manual is boring, go youtube, they have some lessons there too)

To me, dry container is important (electrical) to protect your equipment.
Go for at least a 50 litres, cos i ran out of storage in less then a month after i go into photography.

Lastly, use your camera, and experimenting every single mode. :)

Lens filter (I assume 58mm for kit lens) for mainly protection.
Lenspen for cleaning (only as and when required)
To me, a dry cabinet is absolutely necessary. The dry box is a joke.

Night shooting? Get a stable tripod and a remote shutter release.

To learn more? Shoot and read up a lot. :)

personally :

1) dry box (be it a tight sealed box with silica gel or electrical type) is next in the list after u get ur camera & lens, u dont want ur lens to grow fungus right?

2) read the manual & books on basics of photography (library has tons of those & they r free).

3) go take photos, than compare those you shot against similar composition printed in magazines or those shot by fellow csers for local scenery. always analyze what is it that makes you like those images.

4) than comes the spending of more $$$. but 1st, after shooting for a while, you should have some ideas what you like to shoot, eg night scene, street candid, studio portrait, close up etc. than you can decide priority, lens (prime or zoom, wide or tele etc), tripod, flash or bag (back pack or sling bag).

but dont rush into (4), take your time to go through (3).

than again, if money not issue and owning state of the art gadget makes you happy, go ahead. after all, we pick up hobby to make ourself happier right?

most important thing, dont be con into buying wide angle converters!!! there r tons of fellow csers wo were conned into buying those thing.

Using Wide Angle / Tele Converter on your camera
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477934

also, know which are the more honest shop to get your stuff, tons of fellow csers got con into paying top $$$ for crappy filters or were pressured into spending $$$ for things they dont need but the sales person offer them as a so call package deals.

bottom line, do research before going into the shop.

please please dont go into shop, kana chop, than come post in cser and cry. tons of fellow csers did this.

Last edited:
You'd probably need a good understanding of the basics before you start messing around with any settings. Check out this sticky.

What other stuffs you need to know? Seriously, there are tons of things to read up and explore in photography. No boundaries in learning. Google is your best friend ;)

Take out lens when putting camera in bag -> that won't be necessary

Dry cabinet/box -> I'd rate that as an essential item. Having spent so much on your equipments, I'm sure you'd want to keep it in good condition ya? Invest in one and give yourself some peace of mind :)

HTH. :D

and what others stuff I need to know too ? -> Read ur user manual
This must be a noob question . When I want to keep my cam in the camera bag itself , is it a must to remove the lens? - No
Dry container? Is it really compulsory - Should be Dry Cabinet or Dry Box... prefereably Yes

Enjoy ur new cam :)

Okay guys .
Just got myself a N D5000 . Happy because its my first DSLR I should say .
What is the first step for me to learn/read thru before I mess around with my settings.?

and what others stuff I need to know too ?

This must be a noob question . When I want to keep my cam in the camera bag itself , is it a must to remove the lens?

Dry container? Is it really compulsory

First of all, congrats on your new DSLR!

1st step is to read through your manual and explore your camera. You also have to read from sites or do searches on google.
2nd is probably to shoot more and find out what kind of photography you are into. Landscape, portraits, etc.

Er... I used to use the dry box tt that was given with my purchase of the camera. After only 2 weeks, the silicia gel turned pink. So I got a dry box to save myself the trouble of reheating the silicia gels once they turn pink. Haha.

Disclaimer : I am also a newbie, so what I say is from a newbie's POV.

wah... TS... double-posting in Nikon subforum as well... I just realized...

same here... i just realised after switching the 2 pages...

and what others stuff I need to know too ? -> Read ur user manual
This must be a noob question . When I want to keep my cam in the camera bag itself , is it a must to remove the lens? - No
Dry container? Is it really compulsory - Should be Dry Cabinet or Dry Box... prefereably Yes

Enjoy ur new cam :)
Second this :thumbsup: Exactly the same as what I would have said.

wah... TS... double-posting in Nikon subforum as well... I just realized...
Oh, so that's how he got his 2 post counts :bsmilie:

i did some research that if u use your camera for almost everyday you don't need a dry box/container .

whereas if u are away for overseas to a cold countries , then its a must .

do guide me if im wrong .

i did some research that if u use your camera for almost everyday you don't need a dry box/container .

Drybox/cabi primarily prevents the growth of fungus. Fungus grows under humid, dark, dirty/dusty conditions.
So if you use your camera almost everyday, it mostly likely won't be stored in the dark for long time, and it will be kept relatively clean. I will still recommend a dry box/cabi, but it won't be that impt to have.

Total rubbish. Fungus grows in dark, humid, warm conditions.

Chill man. He's just asking some advice

I am chill. You haven't seen me angry, ever. :)

Basic reading online would have gotten him the answers he needs anyway.

Alright. Tts good! :)

Anyway TS, it's quite alright IF you use your camera everyday. But for me, i rather spend the 100+ bucks on a dry cabinet for a peace of mind. And yes, Rashkae is right. Fungus grows in humid and warm environments. So in dry weather, it's redundant. IIRC, i read somewhere tt photographers in the colder countries do not really own a dry cabinet. Is this true guys??