Guide for speedlight

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
would probably need pro who utilized their flashes in manual for this guide

how do you gauge how many stops you need to probably well expose the subject if no TTL is to be used?

using D90 in commander, I easily modify the setting to -/+.
using those dumb radio triggers, I completely loss

watched video by JM and some nikon speedlight videos, they always used pocketwizard but heard some saying CP do not sell to public.. and they are ex.

Manual metering is a whole lot of work, esp if you do not have a light meter.

You'd need to understand the lighting of the scene and how you need to compensate with the flash on the settings of the camera that you want to use.

I.e.

lets say, the scene is metered for :

f5.6
ISO 400
shutter speed of say 1/60

And you need to shoot the scene at f8
ISO 400
shutter speed of 1/60

You'll have to compensate with the flash by using 1 stop of light. Exact figure for your flash setting will need to judge on distance of flash to subject, guide number for your flash, etc...

so an incident light meter is a must for convenient sake?

so an incident light meter is a must for convenient sake?

You can use the camera meter (if you wanna save money). Just set it to manual. And look thru the viewfinder and set till it's as what you require for the scene. Just a lil more work. :)

There is a flash meter too, but it's more for studio work unless you are utilising your flashes on stands outside...

I am. Tried with remote flash on stand, using D90 as commander. Only inconvenient is tt when I shoot from the right - left, my triggering has issue as the line of sight is blocked using SB600.

When using remote trigger, TTL is available but unable to use D90 to transmit any flash ev setting. Then when moving around, light change, couldn't get the right flash output. headache

I am. Tried with remote flash on stand, using D90 as commander. Only inconvenient is tt when I shoot from the right - left, my triggering has issue as the line of sight is blocked using SB600.

When using remote trigger, TTL is available but unable to use D90 to transmit any flash ev setting. Then when moving around, light change, couldn't get the right flash output. headache

outdoors is always a headache, esp when you are doing it alone with changing light situations perpertually.

Else you can consider using SU-800 as a master trigger. :)

SU800 seems pointless too.. using IR, need line of sight.. nvm.. hold on at the moment.
thanks anyway