Guess which technical skills IT professionals find most useful?


Status
Not open for further replies.

makan007

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
223
0
0
Singapore
#1
Guess the top 3 choices.

1. Systems Analysis & Design

2. Project Management

3. OS

4. Storage

5. Application Development

6. Internet-related areas

7. Programming

8. Security

9. Networking & Data Communications

10. Operations & System Administration

11. Database Administration

12. Communication Skills

13. End User Computing

14. Hardware & System Architecture
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#2
Originally posted by makan007
Guess the top 3 choices.

1. Systems Analysis & Design

2. Project Management

3. OS

4. Storage

5. Application Development

6. Internet-related areas

7. Programming

8. Security

9. Networking & Data Communications

10. Operations & System Administration

11. Database Administration

12. Communication Skills

13. End User Computing

14. Hardware & System Architecture
Security
Application development
internet related area.
 

makan007

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
223
0
0
Singapore
#5
Originally posted by ninelives
must in sequence??? wa liew, i must well go and figure out wat number will come out tomorrow(4D). :D
Not necessary lah. But must in the range of top 3.
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#6
well, as far as i am concern, security is really a must. You manager will kick your behind if your server got hacked and you don't know anything about it.
 

makan007

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
223
0
0
Singapore
#7
Originally posted by ninelives
well, as far as i am concern, security is really a must. You manager will kick your behind if your server got hacked and you don't know anything about it.
It's true. But security is still below the list. ;p
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,583
22
38
Melbourne
#8
Its a trick question. The real answer is:-

1. IRC - bonus if you can create fancy greetings like ninelives
2. ICQ/MSN/Yahoo Messenger/AIM proficiency - ability to juggle 6 concurrent conversations entitles you to 10% bonus pay.
3. Knowledge of Vbulletin/UBB and other forum software

Additional Bonus for extra 25% pay - knowledge of MUDs/MOOs and text-based multi-user environments.

;) :cool:
 

makan007

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
223
0
0
Singapore
#9
Originally posted by Darren
Its a trick question. The real answer is:-

1. IRC - bonus if you can create fancy greetings like ninelives
2. ICQ/MSN/Yahoo Messenger/AIM proficiency - ability to juggle 6 concurrent conversations entitles you to 10% bonus pay.
3. Knowledge of Vbulletin/UBB and other forum software

Additional Bonus for extra 25% pay - knowledge of MUDs/MOOs and text-based multi-user environments.

;) :cool:
Interesting. Unfortuantely, this is a real survey.
 

Pinoy

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,702
1
0
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
#10
There are a lot of fields in the IT lor. Can't be specific ah?

From a Software Developer's Perspective, my bet would be:

o Systems Analysis & Design
o Application Development / Programming (I'm not sure why you had this split into two)
o Communication Skills

If you've got poor communication skills, how would go you about doing SAD? Without a sound SAD, the application development / programming cycle might end up a nightmare.

BTW, I think Database Administration would be the 4th item in my list :D

BUT! Is communication skill considered a "technical skill" now? <g>

:Later,
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#12
My guess:

7. Programming: Dun know how to even do simple programs, then how u know limitations of programming?

5. Application Development: Make apps... almost anykind of software can be considered an applicaion. Need to make money wat...

12. Communication Skills: /* Why do they like to put so much commenst in programming? So that people after you can understand what you are doing*/
// Programs are not often made by 1 person, team team team... that means communication
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#13
Originally posted by Flare
My guess:

7. Programming: Dun know how to even do simple programs, then how u know limitations of programming?

5. Application Development: Make apps... almost anykind of software can be considered an applicaion. Need to make money wat...

12. Communication Skills: /* Why do they like to put so much commenst in programming? So that people after you can understand what you are doing*/
// Programs are not often made by 1 person, team team team... that means communication
No matter how good you are in whichever area. A hacker can ruin your company, your image, your prospect, your life.

I advice any engineer here, take up some security courses.

I am planning to study Certified in CheckPoint firewall soon.
 

S

Sin

Guest
#14
Communication skills.

Most important, if you can't tell your colleague you want coffee without sugar, no matter how well you program/code etc...you'll still end up with Kopi OH...:bsmilie:
 

Pinoy

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,702
1
0
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
#15
Originally posted by ninelives
No matter how good you are in whichever area. A hacker can ruin your company, your image, your prospect, your life.

I advice any engineer here, take up some security courses.

I am planning to study Certified in CheckPoint firewall soon.
You mean a CRACKER? :D

Actually, not all applications need put security at the helm of all priority. Some apps which are deployed in-house or to a limited set of clients (internal, external) are considered secure by default.

:Later,
 

makan007

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
223
0
0
Singapore
#16
Final Results:

1. Programming (22.6%)
2. Networking & Data Communications (20.7%)
3. Project Management (9.8%)
4. Database Administration (8.5%)
5. Systems Analysis & Design (7.7%)
6. OS (7.3%)
7. Application Development (6.6%)
8. Internet-related areas (6.0%)
9. Operations & System Administration (4.0%)
10. Hardware & System Architecture (3.2%)
11. Security (1.5%)
12. Communication Skills (1.3%)
13. End User Computing (0.4%)
14. Storage (0.4 %)
 

Pinoy

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,702
1
0
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
#17
Originally posted by makan007
Final Results:

1. Programming (22.6%)
2. Networking & Data Communications (20.7%)
3. Project Management (9.8%)
4. Database Administration (8.5%)
5. Systems Analysis & Design (7.7%)
6. OS (7.3%)
7. Application Development (6.6%)
8. Internet-related areas (6.0%)
9. Operations & System Administration (4.0%)
10. Hardware & System Architecture (3.2%)
11. Security (1.5%)
12. Communication Skills (1.3%)
13. End User Computing (0.4%)
14. Storage (0.4 %)
See? Very subjective. FYI, I'm a Software Developer by profession. 2 & 3 are skills which aren't really useful to me. That's the same for almost all IT Professionals that I know who are working in Singapore.

Would've been better if you have narrowed down which field in IT you're asking. :D

:Later,
 

Status
Not open for further replies.