Guess which soft filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Make a guess.. which soft filter was used for this image?
soft11.jpg

haha... cheeky question leh ;)

Any hint??? :D

stevez said:
Any hint??? :D
Hint: The posted picture is cropped out of the DSC file, resized (resampled) and only sharpening applied. No software tricks was used.

lsisaxon said:
Hint: The posted picture is cropped out of the DSC file, resized (resampled) and only sharpening applied. No software tricks was used.
Pantyhose?

espn said:
Pantyhose?
Nice try but nope. Some more guesses? :)

More hints:
I'm not using the 135/2 DC nor the 105/2 DC either.
Lens used was the 18-200VR. Shot with a D70s.

fWord said:
Just what I thought...pity it's not the right guess. :think:
Can't win 'em all :D

I use Nikon Soft-1 filter. :D

Any crummy UV with vaseline on it.

espn said:
Can't win 'em all :D

I use Nikon Soft-1 filter. :D
Yeah.. I use Nikon Soft-1 too.. but just not for this one... nope.

Not a crummy UV with vaseline either... Keep on guessing.. ;)

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
tissue paper
Nope.. not tissue paper either. Won't get that subtle kind of soft with tissue paper. :)
Keep on guessing.. I will probably reveal the answer tomorrow night if no one gets it right.

lsisaxon said:
Nope.. not tissue paper either. Won't get that subtle kind of soft with tissue paper. :)
Keep on guessing.. I will probably reveal the answer tomorrow night if no one gets it right.

How about fungus? :eek:

either water vapour produced by your breath or difference in room temp.

fWord said:
How about fungus? :eek:
Choi!! Lens is barely 2 months old.. No fungus.. :p

Not water vapour either. There wasn't any condensation.. But that's a good guess. Usually for the soft effect due to condensation, the tell tale sign are some coloured halos due to the dispersion from the water droplets.

I know liao... defocus the focusing ring.

espn said:
I know liao... defocus the focusing ring.
YES!!! You got it!!

It was shot at around 1/30s and while shooting, the focusing ring was turned. Very much like a radial zoom effect.

I remembered quite some time back, this was implemented in the camera body by some manufacturer (can't remember which one). Canon has one which uses 2 exposures, one in focus and one out. But this was done purely on one exposure and defocusing during the exposure.

lsisaxon said:
YES!!! You got it!!

It was shot at around 1/30s and while shooting, the focusing ring was turned. Very much like a radial zoom effect.

I remembered quite some time back, this was implemented in the camera body by some manufacturer (can't remember which one). Canon has one which uses 2 exposures, one in focus and one out. But this was done purely on one exposure and defocusing during the exposure.
Just came back to my mind when I bought a Nikon Soft-1 earlier and a more experienced friend of mine commented, Soft-2 is as good as defocusing the focus ring.

espn said:
Just came back to my mind when I bought a Nikon Soft-1 earlier and a more experienced friend of mine commented, Soft-2 is as good as defocusing the focus ring.
I think he probably meant literally shooting it out of focus. :p Actually, I personally like the effect which Soft-1 gives, I was just experimenting with defocusing during exposure and after I got this soft effect then I recalled hearing about this technique quite a number of years back. It might be Olympus or Pentax who have implemented it in one of their AF film SLR bodies then.

I think that the soft effect from this technique is quite nice and yields a very natural soft which is comparable to that from the DC lenses or soft lenses. Some people swears by Softar filters which I personally don't quite like.

Status
Not open for further replies.