Guess which soft filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Make a guess.. which soft filter was used for this image?

stevez

Nov 17, 2005
NA
haha... cheeky question leh ;)

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
stevez said:
Any hint??? :D
Hint: The posted picture is cropped out of the DSC file, resized (resampled) and only sharpening applied. No software tricks was used.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
lsisaxon said:
Hint: The posted picture is cropped out of the DSC file, resized (resampled) and only sharpening applied. No software tricks was used.
Pantyhose?

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
espn said:
Pantyhose?
Nice try but nope. Some more guesses? :)

More hints:
I'm not using the 135/2 DC nor the 105/2 DC either.
Lens used was the 18-200VR. Shot with a D70s.

Zerstorer

Jul 8, 2002
Any crummy UV with vaseline on it.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
espn said:
Can't win 'em all :D

I use Nikon Soft-1 filter. :D
Yeah.. I use Nikon Soft-1 too.. but just not for this one... nope.

Not a crummy UV with vaseline either... Keep on guessing.. ;)

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
tissue paper
Nope.. not tissue paper either. Won't get that subtle kind of soft with tissue paper. :)
Keep on guessing.. I will probably reveal the answer tomorrow night if no one gets it right.

fWord

Jun 23, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
lsisaxon said:
Nope.. not tissue paper either. Won't get that subtle kind of soft with tissue paper. :)
Keep on guessing.. I will probably reveal the answer tomorrow night if no one gets it right.
How about fungus? :eek:

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
fWord said:
How about fungus? :eek:
Choi!! Lens is barely 2 months old.. No fungus.. :p

Not water vapour either. There wasn't any condensation.. But that's a good guess. Usually for the soft effect due to condensation, the tell tale sign are some coloured halos due to the dispersion from the water droplets.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
espn said:
I know liao... defocus the focusing ring.
YES!!! You got it!!

It was shot at around 1/30s and while shooting, the focusing ring was turned. Very much like a radial zoom effect.

I remembered quite some time back, this was implemented in the camera body by some manufacturer (can't remember which one). Canon has one which uses 2 exposures, one in focus and one out. But this was done purely on one exposure and defocusing during the exposure.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
lsisaxon said:
YES!!! You got it!!

It was shot at around 1/30s and while shooting, the focusing ring was turned. Very much like a radial zoom effect.

I remembered quite some time back, this was implemented in the camera body by some manufacturer (can't remember which one). Canon has one which uses 2 exposures, one in focus and one out. But this was done purely on one exposure and defocusing during the exposure.
Just came back to my mind when I bought a Nikon Soft-1 earlier and a more experienced friend of mine commented, Soft-2 is as good as defocusing the focus ring.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
espn said:
Just came back to my mind when I bought a Nikon Soft-1 earlier and a more experienced friend of mine commented, Soft-2 is as good as defocusing the focus ring.
I think he probably meant literally shooting it out of focus. :p Actually, I personally like the effect which Soft-1 gives, I was just experimenting with defocusing during exposure and after I got this soft effect then I recalled hearing about this technique quite a number of years back. It might be Olympus or Pentax who have implemented it in one of their AF film SLR bodies then.

I think that the soft effect from this technique is quite nice and yields a very natural soft which is comparable to that from the DC lenses or soft lenses. Some people swears by Softar filters which I personally don't quite like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom