Guess the lens PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
here's my submission for "Guess the lens". :)

here is a crop, so everyone pls place ur "bid" & see what lens is it. the winner will get 2 thumbsup picon. :bsmilie:

w/o further ado, here it is:
eye.jpg

the answer will be revealed at the end of the week, this sat. :)

50mm f2...

OM lens?

No lah... this is shot using the 11-22mm right? Then image is cropped from the portrait shot. :)

crop_the_eye.jpg

Guess the lens for this one !!

Sp9914957 said:
Guess the lens for this one !!

aiyah Sp9914957, u dun like that leh... hijack my "contest". but i know its "The Ring Part III" :bsmilie: filmed using the ZD 50mm.

i see dead people.... here comes "Sadako san" :bsmilie:

ok guys keep those "bids" coming. anyone want to guess ZD 50-200mm?:lovegrin:

Hello,

Extrapolating from a 100% crop, the image appears to be taken not at the lens' minimum focusing distance & should include a greater part of the face if not body, prob wider angle lens.

Doesn't make guess any easier, but my take, without any degree of certainty is ....
I can't tell ... other than a flash card was used, but that's not the point :)

So much for my two cents, next please :)

Cheers,

alamak chancy!! surely u can do better than juz guessing how its taken...;) c'mon give it another shot. doesn't cost u any money. :bsmilie:

OK LAH just GASSAK here...

14-54 taken at 50mm focal length?

Gassk - Gar-saak, Malay word meaning SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass'd Guess)

WAIT WAIT... One more chance!!!

35-100 F2! Pic cropped (obviously me think) :think:

nightpiper said:
alamak chancy!! surely u can do better than juz guessing how its taken...;) c'mon give it another shot. doesn't cost u any money. :bsmilie:

Hello Nightpiper,

Deadline's tomorrow ... assuming a ZD, I'll try the 50mm without much certainty I'm afraid.

Cheers,

& the winner is.......

raycsk!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the pic is taken with my humble little kit lens. no money to buy any other exotic stuff.

looks like the ZD 14-54mm is staying awhile longer than expected.

will give u guys a better lens guess next round, so watch this space. :bsmilie:

btw way, the full pic looked like this, the kit lens never fails to impress me:

full.jpg

check out those crumbs on her shirt:

crumbs.jpg

Dear Nightpiper,

Though I must give credit to the photographer, this lens is not cheap at all in performance.

Yesterday, I read one camera testing article from one famous Japanese magazine. They tested co. C's XXX-5D against other APS-C sized image sensor models. The result is very interesting in the wide angle section. Vignetting is more serious for full size sensor than APS-C sized model. I kept on thinking of why in the plane back to Singapore. Eventually, I know why. You see, Olympus's ZD lens mount is double the dia. of the sensor. However, in case of co. C, they are still using the same mount. Therefore, theory came to work in this case. the more parallel light beam between the last lens element and Olympus sensor works better.

Well, you also often mentioned ZD lens' resolution is double that of 35mm lens in general. It also help.

Antonio

nightpiper said:
& the winner is.......

raycsk!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the pic is taken with my humble little kit lens. no money to buy any other exotic stuff.

looks like the ZD 14-54mm is staying awhile longer than expected.

will give u guys a better lens guess next round, so watch this space. :bsmilie:

btw way, the full pic looked like this, the kit lens never fails to impress me:

full.jpg

check out those crumbs on her shirt:

crumbs.jpg

to be fair to FF, i must say vignet & corner softness is nothing new. in the past this is also a problem for 35mm film but becos 35mm format has been around for decades, people accept such problems as part & parcel of photography.

since the last 7 yrs, we see huge progress in the digital era as well as optics. people also kind of get use to the smaller sensor & the benefits it gives. u see companies making 17mm zoom lenses easily to cater for the smaller sensor & it no longer cost a bomb anymore.

with such technology progress, there's really nothing much to worry about using smaller sensors. a good eg. is the Canon D30 & the 20D, both spot the same sensor size but the 20D gives so much more. therefore i m not at all worry with Oly's 2x smaller sensor, i m more worried about not having enuf money to buy their excellent optics esp the wide angles. :bsmilie:

say did u check out the mini-review of the ZD 11-22mm done by kktan & me? :lovegrin: really stunning performance lens!! :thumbsup:

Dear Nighpiper,

Yes, I did follow nearly all the major threads so far. 11-22mm is still not so wide in 4/3 system so good performance is not much of a surprise. In Japan, they tested a lot of 7-14mm and other brands' super wide angle lens (including digitalized lens), the result is 7-14mm stands out a lot. It's a real champion. Japanese reviewers are different from Asean. Most of them know the past golden era of OM lens. Hence, they are not surprised about Olympus's lens quality in those recent testing. Those testing equipments they used are very professional, you know. Not only based on subjective judgement !

Antonio

nightpiper said:
to be fair to FF, i must say vignet & corner softness is nothing new. in the past this is also a problem for 35mm film but becos 35mm format has been around for decades, people accept such problems as part & parcel of photography.

since the last 7 yrs, we see huge progress in the digital era as well as optics. people also kind of get use to the smaller sensor & the benefits it gives. u see companies making 17mm zoom lenses easily to cater for the smaller sensor & it no longer cost a bomb anymore.

with such technology progress, there's really nothing much to worry about using smaller sensors. a good eg. is the Canon D30 & the 20D, both spot the same sensor size but the 20D gives so much more. therefore i m not at all worry with Oly's 2x smaller sensor, i m more worried about not having enuf money to buy their excellent optics esp the wide angles. :bsmilie:

say did u check out the mini-review of the ZD 11-22mm done by kktan & me? :lovegrin: really stunning performance lens!! :thumbsup:

14-54 is the kit lens ?

i tot 14-45 is the kit lens

I must said that the pic has proven that the lens is well-spent ")

Saving $$ for my 500

rionie said:
Dear Nighpiper,

Yes, I did follow nearly all the major threads so far. 11-22mm is still not so wide in 4/3 system so good performance is not much of a surprise. In Japan, they tested a lot of 7-14mm and other brands' super wide angle lens (including digitalized lens), the result is 7-14mm stands out a lot. It's a real champion. Japanese reviewers are different from Asean. Most of them know the past golden era of OM lens. Hence, they are not surprised about Olympus's lens quality in those recent testing. Those testing equipments they used are very professional, you know. Not only based on subjective judgement !

Antonio

Dear Antonio
Can you tell me which Japanese mag you are referring to? I would like to take a peek myself. This will complement my reading sources. Thanks!

locksley said:
14-54 is the kit lens ?

i tot 14-45 is the kit lens

I must said that the pic has proven that the lens is well-spent ")

Saving $$ for my 500

both are kit lenses, bur for different models ;p ;)

Dear Serene,

The magazine I quoted is 'CAPA'. In their Nov. edition (published on 20-Oct), you can find out those information I wrote on page 16.

Antonio

serene said:
Dear Antonio
Can you tell me which Japanese mag you are referring to? I would like to take a peek myself. This will complement my reading sources. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.