Not open for further replies.

oeyvind

Feb 25, 2002
www.oeyvind.org
Soon I guess, read this:

camera_1.jpg

src: DCView.com.tw

http://www.dcview.com.tw/article/newreadarticle.asp?id=2150

JPY 9980 is about SGD 149, that's dirt cheap for a 2.1 MP camera!

my gosh. it's in chinese!!! how to read...

hmm wondering when it'd be out... heehee

On my screen, it's in gibberish. Don't mind oeyvind or some kind soul can summarise what it says? Thanx.

it won't die. as usual, not many people is IT savvy. they just :

1 : shoot
2: develop
3: file(in album provided by the lab)
4 : case close

they where got time go and transfer file to pc. i know a lot of palm users they don't even know what is a usb or serial credle. don't talk about firewire , resolution, sd card, cf, card and etc....

yup, know some palm users who got software only via infrared red. there's no concept of a sync cradle/cable.

Looks more like the current low end to mid level digital market that will die off first before the low end 35mm film market shows any sign of dying off.

On the contrary, the low end 35mm market is as strong as ever. Most people I know (even here in Sg) carry a low end $80 P&S. They shoot, drop it off at the local drugstore lab and get their prints in an hour. Most of them are too busy to be bothered with post processing and printing on a computer or a printer. In third world and developing countries, the availability of low end 35mm P&S's is usually no problem, whereas digicams are not so easily available, and printing / post processing is almost impossible.

Agree very much with Sriram.

Film technology is 200 years or more. It is a very stable medium to work on. There are a lot technical support and services to keep it going. By comparision, it is highly economical for the occasional snapshooter to own and use. You need not dish out a big sum to start shooting. This arrangement fits the budget of the working class majority very nicely.

Unlike digital cameras, film cameras have almost reached its peak in function and design. There is little you can change to improve the P&S further. Same for the film it uses. The current consumer films are already of very high standards and quality.

The P&S camera's basic operating principles have remained the same for decades. You can expect almost no future mechanical changes except cosmetically, making it almost a one time investment unless it wears off sooner(Not likely for the occasional snapshooter). Its easy to use, and negative film is very forgiving. Simple film cameras can easily be repaired and reused. Or disposed off and cheaply be replaced.

Film cameras whether P&S or SLR/rangefinder type will live on as long as 35mm film remains economically cheap to manufacture and if the market demands remain high enough for profitablity.

digital will never rules over film. i had try it out before and i do know is not that simple and easy as what a lot of people thinks it is....and in fact, it cost more shooting on a digital camera over a 35mm film camera.:)

Originally posted by jesser
digital will never rules over film. i had try it out before and i do know is not that simple and easy as what a lot of people thinks it is....and in fact, it cost more shooting on a digital camera over a 35mm film camera.:)

Agree.. i myself have owned 6 digital cams including 2 DSLRs before switching to film.. i find that there's something special about shooting film in a sense that u really take time to compose ur shot n settings.. for digital i just anyhow shoot off if not nice delete n try again.. somehow i learnt more from film.. but thanks to digital too as it helps me understand photography better.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.