Guess it's time ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperD

.... to stop photography altogether for me.... at least until I refresh myself with newer viewpoints and perspectives...

I find myself been taking too many very common shots and just can't break that barrier to go beyond. Still very immature in the world of photography so need a lot of polishing, starting with the mind.

SO it's gonna be the last SEED i'm gonna attend next wednesday.. hee hee....

Hope I can start posting up quality shots when I'm back from this creativity block I'm facing

;)

Originally posted by SniperD
.... to stop photography altogether for me.... at least until I refresh myself with newer viewpoints and perspectives...

I find myself been taking too many very common shots and just can't break that barrier to go beyond. Still very immature in the world of photography so need a lot of polishing, starting with the mind.

Hope I can start posting up quality shots when I'm back from this creativity block I'm facing

;)

Sounds like trying to

"Be one with the camera"

like those marital art shows....

hehe

must get thru' the last 9th stroke..

nope, not trying to be one with the camera lah.. more like stopping for a while to refresh my own perspectives and see if I can come back more creative.

Wai, nope, not selling them. Keeping them unless someone wants to rents them > hahah... anyway...

;)

aiya ... i remember a late master photographer only take one picture a day ... and when he take , $$$$ money come from his foto ... he has passed away ... can't recall his name ... *.*simon*.*

i think photography is an art ... so got to see more, feel more and read more, interact more ... i believe there are other channels than SEEDs and i believe you will come back stronger ...

:D

heehee... can. you got my number, just give me a msg when you need it... for free lah...

the rental thing is just kidding..

but hopeful in future can borrow your tandy for a shoot before i get mine .. heh heh

ha need to buy toto and 4D liao ... we click at the same time :rbounce:

I find myself been taking too many very common shots and just can't break that barrier to go beyond. Still very immature in the world of photography so need a lot of polishing, starting with the mind...

...Hope I can start posting up quality shots when I'm back from this creativity block I'm facing

;)

Good for you! A couple of years back, I felt the same thing too. Sort of wondered why my shots looked so ordinary. I wanted to take great photos, not just technically good photos.

So I took a break from photography, polished up on my technical knowledge and learned a couple of new things on my own such as visual composition theory, journalism and commercial photography. Then I when on a couple of holidays abroad, trying to see the world through the eyes of other people of other races.

Then I found out what I was missing. My shots were so ordinary because I was always trying to emulate other people's shot. I was taking pictures from angles that most people will take when shooting. So I started to slow down alot on my shooting, before I take a picture, I will alway ask, "Why am I taking this picture?" and "Will the picture be better if I took it elsewhere?". This way, I tried to make every frame count instead of just burning film.

Though I can't say that I'm good yet, but my photography has definitely improved alot and I'm proud to say that I'm aiming for my own style now.

go train for triathlon. like what i am doing now.

6 months ago i sold off all my photo gear and focussed more on body fitness. since i came from a running background, it was easy to tune in to "endurance high".

once u get used to "endurance high" (for example, "runner's high")...it will be easier to experience "being man and machine as one"

a break is always a good thing. Creativity cannot be forced, for some people it comes more naturally. Inspiration will arrive at the most unexpected moment. E.g. when you take a lonely walk home after selling all your equipment.

You're using digital ? Maybe you could try using a manual film camera. Digital takes the anticipation and thinking out of picture taking.

have you considered getting a manual cam with 50mm standard lens or just a good PnS? force yourself to do that for a while. i find that using less "auto" equipment forces me to really slow down and consider the perspective before i take a shot. the convenience of zoom AF lenses is all fine and dandy, but too much comfort makes a lazy photogr with no motivation to innovate.

think about it. Ansell Adams made masterpieces long before AF and metering technologies came, and IHMO i think what made him great was that he thought "out of the box" to overcome the limitations of the equipment he had then.

Originally posted by Larry
have you considered getting a manual cam with 50mm standard lens or just a good PnS? force yourself to do that for a while. i find that using less "auto" equipment forces me to really slow down and consider the perspective before i take a shot. the convenience of zoom AF lenses is all fine and dandy, but too much comfort makes a lazy photogr with no motivation to innovate.

think about it. Ansell Adams made masterpieces long before AF and metering technologies came, and IHMO i think what made him great was that he thought "out of the box" to overcome the limitations of the equipment he had then.

Thanks Larry.. you could be right.. maybe too complacent on my equipment and forget all the fundamentals in shooting and composition...

Status
Not open for further replies.