Guanzhou street shooting - 31 April - 4 May

in GZ now and the weather is foggy and rainy ...... a nice old hutong next to my apartment

it almost foggy every day, unless there is a huge rain.

I hardly see blue sky in GZ beside the grayish cast sky

Will GZ be safe for DSLR photography? 3 out of 10 of my friends going there are using one and will our usage be very conspicuous and draw unwanted attention?

We should be in a group of 10 at most times...and I plan to put my dslr inside a normal deuter backpack with a crumpler inserts inside. Is it enough precaution? I've heard stuff from other threads in CS and elsewhere about the noiterity in GZ and I'm concerned.

Bro eddy, April never has 31 days :)

It'll be perfect if you're one month late. I'll be there with friends for free and easy... Anybody have good places to eat pls do let us know!

Go to the main street centre and ask for the 小食街。They have good oysters and 芝麻糊

Will GZ be safe for DSLR photography? 3 out of 10 of my friends going there are using one and will our usage be very conspicuous and draw unwanted attention?

We should be in a group of 10 at most times...and I plan to put my dslr inside a normal deuter backpack with a crumpler inserts inside. Is it enough precaution? I've heard stuff from other threads in CS and elsewhere about the noiterity in GZ and I'm concerned.

I carried my 5D around and even brought it to the amusement park (you leave it at the counter every ride). I guess security is tighter as it is now still the period of the export fair in Guangzhou.

So I don't think its too dangerous.

I used my 1D and 16-35mm L along the Beijing Road for half a day, ALONE and it was alright for me. Of course there will be a lot of strangers coming close to you, but of course they are trying to sell me their Rolexes ..:sweat:

Guangzhou is not all dangerous. Only certain parts are. There are several areas it is almost guaranteed that you will be mugged irregardless if you are carrying a DSLR or not. Just stay in the open in more crowded areas.

Another famous tactic in Guangzhou is the motorcycle grab. 2 fellas will approach you from behind in a motocycle. The pinion rider will grab your bag/camera and speed away. So, remember to keep the camera in front of you over your neck. Do not just sling it on one shoulder, sling it across your chest at least.

Guangzhou is not all dangerous. Only certain parts are. There are several areas it is almost guaranteed that you will be mugged irregardless if you are carrying a DSLR or not. Just stay in the open in more crowded areas.

Can share which are the dangerous areas that come to your mind? Might be traveling solo there in June.

Can share which are the dangerous areas that come to your mind? Might be traveling solo there in June.

It has been several years since I went walking around there. There were quite a few areas. But the one that stayed in my mind is this street right by Donlord International hotel in Tianhe district (Tianhe East road).

It has been several years since I went walking around there. There were quite a few areas. But the one that stayed in my mind is this street right by Donlord International hotel in Tianhe district (Tianhe East road).

ok, thanks for the info.

On the issue of safety and seeking opinions, I have planned a itinerary for a group of young adults (tkbonz is my friend and is in the pack) and here is a brief overview of the rundown:

Day1: ShangXiaJiu - Shopping and Eating
-advice on what items are good to get there cos i heard almost everything there is quite cheap

Day 2: Baiyun Mountain Visitation & Pearl River Cruise@Night
-Could any one kinda of educate a bit on the cable car rides up Baiyun Shan fees and experience
-there is also a Luming Restaurant overlooking the LuHu Lake. Want to know if the morning tea is worth a try and what are their prices roughly?)
-Also i heard the Pearl River Cruises have different prices and differing classes. What are the prices in having dinner onboard the cruise tour?

Day 3: 6 Banyan Tree Temple, Shamian Island & QingPing Mkt
-I saw a few online pics on QingPing Mkt street. And I am worried abt safety in this particular area. Are there a lot of tourists around such that its comfortable for most tourists?

Day 4:Yue Xiu Park and TianHe shopping malls area
-Need advice if YueXiu Park is worth visiting and if Tianhe area is just another shopping mall pack area where the stuffs are similar to ShangXiaJiu/Beijing Rd.

Day 5: Chime Long Theme Park/Zoo/Water Theme park
-Was wondering if the Zoo or the Water theme park is it worth visiting and trying. And how does the entrance fees applies.
-Is it advisable to take the Metro and walk to the Chime Long or better to head there by cab?

-FYI, the hotel we are occupying is along Beijing Road.
-Is Dongchuan area with Haiyin chain of shopping plexes worth a visit for their sporting goods? or those stuffs are easily gotten else where?

Appreciate it if CSnappers who visit Guangzhou before can provide some input and pointers for us to make the trip more fruitful and enjoyable. Thanks!

On the issue of safety and seeking opinions, I have planned a itinerary for a group of young adults (tkbonz is my friend and is in the pack) and here is a brief overview of the rundown:

Day1: ShangXiaJiu - Shopping and Eating
-advice on what items are good to get there cos i heard almost everything there is quite cheap

Day 2: Baiyun Mountain Visitation & Pearl River Cruise@Night
-Could any one kinda of educate a bit on the cable car rides up Baiyun Shan fees and experience
-there is also a Luming Restaurant overlooking the LuHu Lake. Want to know if the morning tea is worth a try and what are their prices roughly?)
-Also i heard the Pearl River Cruises have different prices and differing classes. What are the prices in having dinner onboard the cruise tour?

Day 3: 6 Banyan Tree Temple, Shamian Island & QingPing Mkt
-I saw a few online pics on QingPing Mkt street. And I am worried abt safety in this particular area. Are there a lot of tourists around such that its comfortable for most tourists?

Day 4:Yue Xiu Park and TianHe shopping malls area
-Need advice if YueXiu Park is worth visiting and if Tianhe area is just another shopping mall pack area where the stuffs are similar to ShangXiaJiu/Beijing Rd.

Day 5: Chime Long Theme Park/Zoo/Water Theme park
-Was wondering if the Zoo or the Water theme park is it worth visiting and trying. And how does the entrance fees applies.
-Is it advisable to take the Metro and walk to the Chime Long or better to head there by cab?

-FYI, the hotel we are occupying is along Beijing Road.
-Is Dongchuan area with Haiyin chain of shopping plexes worth a visit for their sporting goods? or those stuffs are easily gotten else where?

Appreciate it if CSnappers who visit Guangzhou before can provide some input and pointers for us to make the trip more fruitful and enjoyable. Thanks!

Any inputs from seniors here? We're leaving this weekend already :)

btw...is it good to use ND filters for yunnan?