Guan Yu , The General ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liauwsiauwlong

Nov 2, 2009
Singapore
4371951235_7df8cdf56b_o.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Feeling , Lighting and Composition
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The fear and proud feeling of the ancient military general
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Serious mode
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
This general is very tall , frame it from the shoe in order to get the height .

Contrast is lacking, no 3D. And no sense of texture of the sculpture. It could be a styrofoam Guan Yu, certainly less imposing than it made of stone.

Select the sculpture and sharpen it, over sharpen it in fact to get the texture out. Apply contrast/curves. Dodge the highlights and burn the midtones. Do you have the Raw file for a darker background, it would help create a dramatic image, once enhanced the sunlight hitting it from the side is much more obvious.

Something like this http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/722/medium/LSL.jpg would be an improvement.

By looking at this shot, its not possible to tell how tall or big this sculpture is. Because there is not a relative subject beside this sculpture.

Hence , even if this sculpture is 5 storey high gigantic GuanYu , or is just a miniature 5cm tall model, no one knows... :)

Billy

I think you wanted to show grandeur. But at the same time, you may want to move a few steps backwards so that we can actually see the general. All I can see is the sword and some rocks that form the lower portion.

it is good to include a subject in ur photo if u want to show grandeur!!!

Cheers!

the general is known for loyalty, man of his word & his weapon.

his weapon is less than impressive, infact it is disappointing.

so why choose to show it? why not show case him in one of his most known pose? could it be that you want to avoid the trees at the background?

one word: To close.

which point you like to show?
1) tallness of the statue (try use something to compare the tallness)
2) his weapon (like what denniskee mention, not very impressive)

i actually thought his weapon is one of the best.

not many people can handle his sword back then. not forgetting he can swing it with one hand and chopped off 6 generals' heads

i actually thought his weapon is one of the best.

not many people can handle his sword back then. not forgetting he can swing it with one hand and chopped off 6 generals' heads

Yes, his weapon is one of the best of his time but when come to statue in this case, confirm not the best display i have seen so far.

ahhh i see.

if im not wrong, the way he holds the weapon also has different meaning. is it?

i think you did your best under the circumstances :thumbsup:

sword dominating is a good anchor

however the sky looks overblown...... if there is a time during the day when light is falling on the statue, the outcome will likely be more impactful

Thanks guys , just read all your critique and comments , appreciated and learn from it ;-)

This prominent historical charactor / figure of the Warriors of the Three Kingdom, is much respected by many, especially the triads and the law enforcement unit of Hong Kong. His righteousness and courage among brotherhood are the virtue why people idolising, definitely not for his shoe, or his weapon, though it is a formidable one and fear by many of his enemy.

Take / make effort to improve your composition, and take note of the lighting of your subject. Currently , these two are your major weak points.

Why is the general not giving any eye contact with the audience?

Confucious says general who has eye contact with his men wins half the battle

Contrast is lacking, no 3D. And no sense of texture of the sculpture. It could be a styrofoam Guan Yu, certainly less imposing than it made of stone.

Select the sculpture and sharpen it, over sharpen it in fact to get the texture out. Apply contrast/curves. Dodge the highlights and burn the midtones. Do you have the Raw file for a darker background, it would help create a dramatic image, once enhanced the sunlight hitting it from the side is much more obvious.

Something like this http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/722/medium/LSL.jpg would be an improvement.

:thumbsup:

the picture doesn't work very well for me. because Guan Yu is a famous figure but a bottom up photograph makes his head looks very small.

i would take a step back, and look up again, this will present the face with a better angle.

perhaps moving slightly to the right would also help, by separating the general from those stray branches at the top right, and even render them as a useful element.

to be honest though, i won't shoot anything here. but that might be personal preference.

hmm. this seems to be at chinese garden. since i live near there i hope this helps.

try shifting the angle so tat u can see his face. i know tat he is supposed to be red faced but since its stone it doesnt matter. main point is i remember he had this awe look. the face is impt. try shooting at dawn when the sun is abt to set. the nice orange overcast will do him justice to his "i died with loyalty feel"

if i'm free i'll drop by there and see if i can get the image :p

Status
Not open for further replies.