GTR 'cheated'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
probably will not interest most people since it's about cars and not photography.
but anyway, i'm just sharing this which i got in my email.
i find it pretty amusing.

believe me, i've driven the both the 911 and the GTR.
and i definitely believe the GTR will trash the 911 on at nurburgring.:)

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating at Nurburgring

[image: Nissan R35 GT-R]Porsche has accused Nissan of cheating in the GT-R's
record bid at the Nurburgring racetrack.

Porsche has just run its own back-to-back tests with the Japanese company's
GT-R supercar and says it could not get within 25 seconds of Nissan's
claimed record time of seven minutes 29 seconds in April. It also found its
911 Turbo and GT2 were both quicker than the GT-R.

"This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production
car," says August Achleitner, the 911 product chief for Porsche, speaking to
the CARSguide at the Australian press preview of the latest 911 Cabrio. "For
us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this
Nissan is they used other tyres."

He believes the time achieved by Nissan with ex-Formula One driver Toshio
Suzuki would only be possible with a semi-slick race-style tyre.

Read more... <http://mrtperformance.com.au/content/view/548/58/>

Source: Carsguide <http://www.carsguide.com.au/>

I will be interested if you take me for a spin :bsmilie:

I'll be more interested if both cars are given to me:bsmilie:

Frankly speaking, I would think both cars would be a close match for each other. Porsche's statement smack a bit of elitism, but ultimately it is just a marketing move by both company.

" But this car is about 20 kilos heavier than the Turbo . . ."

So 20kg = 16 sec difference in lap time on the track?

Porsche is setting itself up for a shootout with the GT-R.

But then again, Porsches are still much more costly than a GT-R (in Singapore I think 270k vs. 600+k) so to be only 16 secs off, I'd happily pocket the change and have a second, third or even fourth set of wheels and tires shod with a choice of semi slick to full racing slick tires when I want to hit the track.

i dun mind driving the 911..btw, where is the handbrake located hah? ;p

" But this car is about 20 kilos heavier than the Turbo . . ."

So 20kg = 16 sec difference in lap time on the track?

Porsche is setting itself up for a shootout with the GT-R.

But then again, Porsches are still much more costly than a GT-R (in Singapore I think 270k vs. 600+k) so to be only 16 secs off, I'd happily pocket the change and have a second, third or even fourth set of wheels and tires shod with a choice of semi slick to full racing slick tires when I want to hit the track.

270k is from //?
TC is selling at 330k.

and for a car like GTR, if u get from 'pasar malam //', the car virtually has NO warranty.

16 secs is enough for me to stop the car, take out my foundation, slap it on my face, wait for my adversary to come, and do another run.:bsmilie:

got free ride? ;p

i dun drive, i like to be driven! :lovegrin:

cheat or not... just give me a GTR R35 anytime :thumbsup:

Any of the cars is still fast.

Think I can only afford something cheaper.....

A litre sportsbike? Perhaps a hayabusa? or ZX-14.....May not be as fast as GTR or 911....not too sure can achieve less than 3secs from 0-100km/hr and top speed electronically restricted at 299km/hr.

Hopefully still can catch up with GTR or 911 and shoot some photos of them arriving.

I would still oblige for the Porsche, aka one of the legendary German marques :D

I think if one talks about sports cars,1st that come in mind will be the Ferraris & Porches...

If one talk about Nissan,then its the skyline...

If Mitsubishi...the evos...

Subaru will be WRX...

all are good fast cars...

but they all cant be faster than my sunny...coz i'm the one behind the wheel...LOL

probably will not interest most people since it's about cars and not photography.
but anyway, i'm just sharing this which i got in my email.
i find it pretty amusing.

believe me, i've driven the both the 911 and the GTR.
and i definitely believe the GTR will trash the 911 on at nurburgring.:)

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating at Nurburgring

[image: Nissan R35 GT-R]Porsche has accused Nissan of cheating in the GT-R's
record bid at the Nurburgring racetrack.

Porsche has just run its own back-to-back tests with the Japanese company's
GT-R supercar and says it could not get within 25 seconds of Nissan's
claimed record time of seven minutes 29 seconds in April. It also found its
911 Turbo and GT2 were both quicker than the GT-R.

"This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production
car," says August Achleitner, the 911 product chief for Porsche, speaking to
the CARSguide at the Australian press preview of the latest 911 Cabrio. "For
us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this
Nissan is they used other tyres."

He believes the time achieved by Nissan with ex-Formula One driver Toshio
Suzuki would only be possible with a semi-slick race-style tyre.

Read more... <http://mrtperformance.com.au/content/view/548/58/>

Source: Carsguide <http://www.carsguide.com.au/>

Actually, Porsche made sense. This is Nurburgring, a race track and not just a long straight where raw power is more impt.

3 major factors that give a car speed around a racing track and they are the engine, tyres and aerodynamics. In this case, its street tyres and they are complaining about Nissan using slicks. Its mega difference in terms of performance. If you have 2 GTRs, 1 fitted with normal tyres and the other racing slicks, it will be like day and night.

If u watch F1, a car fitted with semi wet tyres racing in dry conditions, it will be like a turtle compared to the rest on slicks. :bsmilie:

270k is from //?
TC is selling at 330k.

and for a car like GTR, if u get from 'pasar malam //', the car virtually has NO warranty.

16 secs is enough for me to stop the car, take out my foundation, slap it on my face, wait for my adversary to come, and do another run.:bsmilie:

Tell that to the 300 GTRs registered and on the roads right now, every one of them is PI, as well as the tens of thousands of other parallel imported cars on the road.

If a parallel imported car is 60k cheaper than the AD car, I'd take it. Why so? From personal experience I found that factory warranty is the first thing to go when you start modifying your car. Which makes the AD car pretty much the same as a parallel imported car - virtually no warranty.

What you want to do with 16 secs is up to you, I am questioning whether 20kgs would make a difference of 16 seconds on the Nurburgring. Plus the GTR is about half the price of a Porsche 911 Turbo. No wonder Porsche has to make some noise to bring some attention to their own car, its PR and Marketing at work.

For 300k more, you get the Porsche badge, 16 secs quicker on the 'Ring, 20kgs less weight. :think:

Actually, Porsche made sense. This is Nurburgring, a race track and not just a long straight where raw power is more impt.

3 major factors that give a car speed around a racing track and they are the engine, tyres and aerodynamics. In this case, its street tyres and they are complaining about Nissan using slicks. Its mega difference in terms of performance. If you have 2 GTRs, 1 fitted with normal tyres and the other racing slicks, it will be like day and night.

If u watch F1, a car fitted with semi wet tyres racing in dry conditions, it will be like a turtle compared to the rest on slicks. :bsmilie:

Porsche's argument don't make much sense imo.

Nurburgring is not only a race track, but also a extraordinary circuit. Over 20km (compared to our 5 km GP) and iirc 100 corners.

More than 3 major factors will determine the lap time.

1) suspension setup
2) braking power
3) engine power
4) gear ratio
5) tyres
6) driver's skill
7) ambience and track temperature
8) aeros and drag coef

the GTR may win because the car was probably set up carefully and the conditions was good. besides, Nissan spends countless weeks testing the prototype GTR on Nurburgring before proceeding to set the record.

Somehow Porsche sounded just like Ferrari team... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
good car, bad car, 600k, 300k...

i love all the cars.

they are unique and different in their own rights.

even if a GTR can tear a 360, or even 430, but if 2 cars parked side by side, which one will you take?

i guess answer is pretty obvious.
however, dont be surprised if someone chooses the GTR.
so, it depends on WHAT you want in a sports car.

btw, the GTR rear seats are a joke.for someone like me, a petite gal, standing about 1.6, i find the rear seats 'UNUSABLE'.

they should have taken that away and make some doggy space instead.

btw: 20kg, 16 secs?think lor.no friggin way.

and also, i've driven sepang on full slicks.and yes.WORLD of difference.

but i have to say, losers make the loudest noise.
i dont have to spell it.

for those interested in GTR, my friend was telling me his GTR's maintenance cost is almost doubled of his Boxster. :bigeyes:

You can't change wheels as they have delicated sensors of which tyres cost a few thousands, every servicing requires ECU adjustment by proprietary equipment costings $1000+ and almost every single things that needs to be serviced requires some sort of special tools.

You can give me a GTR for free but I doubt I will have the means to upkeep this beast. :sweat:

Porsche's argument don't make much sense imo.

Nurburgring is not only a race track, but also a extraordinary circuit. Over 20km (compared to our 5 km GP) and iirc 100 corners.

More than 3 major factors will determine the lap time.

1) suspension setup
2) braking power
3) engine power
4) gear ratio
5) tyres
6) driver's skill
7) ambience and track temperature
8) aeros and drag coef

the GTR may win because the car was probably set up carefully and the conditions was good. besides, Nissan spends countless weeks testing the prototype GTR on Nurburgring before proceeding to set the record.

Somehow Porsche sounded just like Ferrari team... :rolleyes:

Yeah all those matters but the 3 main factors that affect the performance of the car are the negine, aerodynamics and tyres. Tyres can make a massive difference and is an impt race component. Its the only contact the car has on the road.

I'm not saying which car is better or not but Porsche's comments made sense because tyres are very impt in a race, esp a lap over a circuit....any circuit. Its a very valid complain, esp if they are competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.