GST for imported stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

boochap

Feb 12, 2002
sg - bukit ho swee
www.geocities.com
any idea above how much then we have to start paying 7% GST? >400$?

i am thinking of optmising my overseas ebay purchase, in separate bundle or together to keep it below the cap.

Thanks!

If your total (including shipping) is above S$400 (per package), then you parcel may be detained till GST payment is sorted.

Cheers,

I think it's $450 and above.

If you have them seperated and comes in different parcels at the same time, the customs knows your trick and they will combine all your parcels into one and charge you gst. How I know? I have spoken to the custom officer before.

Only way, send each parcel at an interval of five days.( below $400 )

Customs know about eBay !

If you do not declare your parcel and you say you do not have an invoice, the custom officer will look at the item in your parcel and declare " Old model, must be antique, must be valuable" and pluck from the "air" a very high figure and you pay gst on his assessments. No joke, I have this experience before and I have to get my seller to email me the total cost or print out the emials communications with seller on the final price including shipping costs and show to the customs. They will keep your emails printout on the final price you paid.

If you are lucky, all will go through customs smoothly without any gst.

ya...u gotta go SingPost's customs and pay duties/tax first..

And the $400 includes your postage/courier charges. So even if you value is $380 and your postage is $30, you pay GST on $410, not the $10 over the $400 limit.:cry:

Sometimes, the custom officer is rather flexible. There are at least 2 occasions when my stuffs arrived & they are slightly above $400, they told me it's ok. I didn't have to pay GST:)

Thanks for the infor..

I just decided to buy 40 rolls of fresh provia for 220US$ from ebay or 315 S$.. include shipping. expiry 2009.
This turned out to be 7.90 S$ per roll. cheaper than CP 9.50 S$.
This is without GST. If i get more than 50rolls, inclusive of GST, it becomes 8.50 S$. ;)

40rolls enough to last me for many months. I will do it again if the slides turn out to be ok next time.

Thanks for the infor..

I just decided to buy 40 rolls of fresh provia for 220US$ from ebay or 315 S$.. include shipping. expiry 2009.
This turned out to be 7.90 S$ per roll. cheaper than CP 9.50 S$.
This is without GST. If i get more than 50rolls, inclusive of GST, it becomes 8.50 S$. ;)

40rolls enough to last me for many months. I will do it again if the slides turn out to be ok next time.

Not quite true for the $400 limit, this limit is means for purchase for person use. In your case you buy 40 rolls, they will consider that you are buying for sales, so even it is $100, they will still tax you.

A friend of mine always buy electronic components from oversea for repair in qty of 100 to 200 pcs, cost less than $50 and carry in by himself, they also tax him at the airport.

SGD400 CIF invoice value.. one thing abt the personal use and for sale is quite true.. tho i do not recall reading customs website on the part whether they will tax you base on personal use or not..

Hmm, well I had many parcels arriving and there is no problem. I doubt they keep a record of how many parcels each address receives over a 5 day span for the whole of Singapore. Each are assessed on its own.

I think it's $450 and above.

If you have them seperated and comes in different parcels at the same time, the customs knows your trick and they will combine all your parcels into one and charge you gst. How I know? I have spoken to the custom officer before.

Only way, send each parcel at an interval of five days.( below $400 )

Customs know about eBay !

If you do not declare your parcel and you say you do not have an invoice, the custom officer will look at the item in your parcel and declare " Old model, must be antique, must be valuable" and pluck from the "air" a very high figure and you pay gst on his assessments. No joke, I have this experience before and I have to get my seller to email me the total cost or print out the emials communications with seller on the final price including shipping costs and show to the customs. They will keep your emails printout on the final price you paid.

If you are lucky, all will go through customs smoothly without any gst.

Status
Not open for further replies.