GST for imported lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
i bought a lens online and have it sent here. but was charged GST after paying postage! did any of u encounter this? is there anyway to go around it? :cry:

Sep 16, 2004
Anything above S$400 worth of goods sent in are subjected to GST.

If you declared for personal use / no commercial value, and did not buy insurance, you MIGHT be able to get lucky but there are times, one still will have to pay GST BUT then you risk no being able to claim should the package or content gets damage.. so its really up to you to bear the risk.

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
i bought a lens online and have it sent here. but was charged GST after paying postage! did any of u encounter this? is there anyway to go around it? :cry:
You are essentially looking for ways to evade tax on an open forum..... smart.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
i was reading up online
and it says some warehouses are zero GST, a bit confused

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
No need confuse. You paid already and yes, I confirm you are liable to pay import tax for purchases of goods above SG$400. Actually, the shipping company was the one already made the payment on behalf of you to the government when the item touched down in Singapore, so you were essentially owing them the money which of course payable on delivery.

Anything below SG$400, the shipping company will absorb and pay to the government for you. FYI, I've bought 4 camera equipment on both Adorama and B&H. It's also a violation in the US and many countries to falsely declare exported parcels so... it's something you can't even ask them to try.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
yup what to do... aih... jz got shocked cos its my first time

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
have a friend on the other side buy for you and then send. But then the purchase may be subject to VAT. Most of the time pay GST over here is cheaper.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Purchased a Canon 580EXii from Amazon and shipped here via Vpost.. ended up the price + GST + shipping is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.. haha but it fun waiting 1 mth for it to arrive...

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.
But you know right, if you get from an authorized dealer like Adorama, B&H, the International Warranty is honored by Canon Singapore. I never really purchased off Amazon as they're more of a middle-man and yes, they search for the best prices around but for period like now where Canon USA is having a rebate program, I'll just go straight to these 2. Unless am missing out on something else..... lol.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
have a friend on the other side buy for you and then send. But then the purchase may be subject to VAT. Most of the time pay GST over here is cheaper.
Hmm... That's what I did.

live with it, like we always do=)
ya, no choice. have to live with it.

As long the thing you purchase is a "goods", you will be charged with GST (Goods & Service Tax). ;)
aihh... the most profitable company = government

Purchased a Canon 580EXii from Amazon and shipped here via Vpost.. ended up the price + GST + shipping is the same as what I can get here for a greyset minus the store warrantry.. haha but it fun waiting 1 mth for it to arrive...
haih... ya. i think about the same. :(. the wait is also damn long. but okay la, can save a bit.

But you know right, if you get from an authorized dealer like Adorama, B&H, the International Warranty is honored by Canon Singapore. I never really purchased off Amazon as they're more of a middle-man and yes, they search for the best prices around but for period like now where Canon USA is having a rebate program, I'll just go straight to these 2. Unless am missing out on something else..... lol.
what about Nikon? I bought it from Adorama.

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
what about Nikon? I bought it from Adorama.
No idea dude... Dunno, dun care, cuz I only buy Canon stuff... won't bother if Nikon has rebate programmes or not... LOL. But email them or something lor...

haih... ya. i think about the same. . the wait is also damn long. but okay la, can save a bit.
Oh, forgot to mention, B&H fastest delivery (on the cheapest service) is 4 working days for my latest purchase. Others took no more than 2 weeks.

Last edited:

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
No idea dude... Dunno, dun care, cuz I only buy Canon stuff... won't bother if Nikon has rebate programmes or not... LOL. But email them or something lor...

Oh, forgot to mention, B&H fastest delivery (on the cheapest service) is 4 working days for my latest purchase. Others took no more than 2 weeks.
hmm... okay, thanks for the info.

took me about a month now... adorama took 3 days to send to my friend in US. friend took 1-2 days to pack up and send to me. took another 2 weeks to fly from US to here. total around 3 weeks, close to a month

HeiPiGu

Jan 6, 2009
i was reading up online
and it says some warehouses are zero GST, a bit confused
Zero GST doesn't apply in you case at all. It's for goods imported into Singapore but not meant for local market/ consumption. These goods will have their GST 'suspended' cause they will be re-exported out.

The Customs will charge GST according to shipping invoice value. If you have a fren in US who can buy the lens for you and then sent to you as gift, that one different story liao.

2evans

Nov 8, 2007
Zero GST doesn't apply in you case at all. It's for goods imported into Singapore but not meant for local market/ consumption. These goods will have their GST 'suspended' cause they will be re-exported out.

The Customs will charge GST according to shipping invoice value. If you have a fren in US who can buy the lens for you and then sent to you as gift, that one different story liao.
Won't "gifts" over a certain value, have the potential to be charged duty?

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.VisualVerve.sg
Nah, if you buy from authorized distributors, you can't escape. You can't even put it as 'gift', unless you're sending to a US address.

These gifts thingy, repaired item, under declaration of value etc is just very eBay... I mean usually practiced (illegally) in eBay only.

HeiPiGu

Jan 6, 2009
nice, so just send everything as gifts and no GST?! wow
Yea, glad you learn something new today :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

It's not just about stating the item as gift...but being able to declare you own value for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom