Growth Dividends Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Singaporeans to receive first Growth Dividends on Wednesday
Posted: 30 April 2008 0056 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singaporeans will receive their first Growth Dividends on Wednesday.

This is the first of two payments, with the second to be distributed on October 1.

The handout, announced in this year's Budget, is part of the Government's move to share its surpluses with Singaporeans.

All Singaporeans, aged 21 and above, will receive the Growth Dividends.

Lower and middle-income groups, senior citizens and NSmen can expect more. The amounts range between $100 and $400.

The amount of Growth Dividends you receive depends on the following:

- The Annual Value of your home in 2007 as assessed by IRAS
- Your Assessable Income for the Year of Assessment 2007 and your age as of 31 December 2008; and
- Your NS status in 2008.

To receive the Growth Dividends, you must be a Singapore citizen, aged 21 or above in 2008 and have signed up to receive your GST Credits.

For 27-year-old Norazlina Ahmad Bohaiki, a housewife, she has been unemployed for over a year now and needs to stay home to care for her two-year-old son.

Supported by her in-laws, they all live in a four-room flat.

Ms Norazlina will receive $150 in the first payout of the Growth Dividends.

She said she would use the money to pay for her son's expenses, as well as her own.

Ms Norazlina said it was good that the Growth Dividends are handed out in stages as it allows her to save some of the money.

Ms Norazlina will get $500 in total this year - $300 from the Growth Dividends and $200 in GST Credits.

The second round of GST credits and Senior Citizens' Bonus, to be distributed on July 1 is meant to help Singaporeans cope with the impact of the GST increase from 5 percent to 7 percent last year.

All adult Singaporeans will receive GST Credits over four years.

The last payment is due in 2010.

Those who earn less or live in smaller homes will receive more GST Credits.

The amounts range from $100 to $250 a year, depending on the income earned and housing type.

Ms Norazlina's mother-in-law will get a total of $850 from the various payouts over five months.

Madam Hawa Sulaiman, Shipping Brokerage Officer, said: "It does help, more or less, although not much, but it does help."

The 62-year-old works part-time and is feeling the pinch because the entire household income is just $2,000.

Many say the Growth Dividends cash is timely with a higher cost of living today.

Mr Zainudin Nordin, MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC and Mayor of Central Singapore CDC, said: "Whatever little amount we can distribute to our citizens I think it will help them to meet some of these challenges and cope with their daily living and rising costs at the moment.

"If we look at the whole spectrum of help that the government has given out to our residents, I think it is balanced. We want to see how we can give out whenever we have more, and at the same time we want to be more focused to people who need it more, especially to the lower income and needy families."

Aside from monetary help from the government, the disadvantaged are also getting aid from the community.

Mr Seng Han Thong, MP for Yio Chu Kang, said: "We're also having group supporters, well-wishers, in fact they have donated bags of rice, coffee powder and other daily necessities and we home deliver to those who receive public assistance."

The Government will hand out $865 million in Growth Dividends, benefiting some 2.4 million Singaporeans. - CNA/de

no need so happy....... very soon ur money will be taken back again...

lets guess what items' prices are going to rise?

in long term, these money will be given back as GST rises in future

give you $100, but take back $120 or more from you down the road.

better than nothing.

Nothing to be excited about. The amount given not that much also.

...obviously all very rich people here. the attitude disgusts me.

every little bit counts, if you ask me. and it is unfortunately, the people which it helps the most who want it more - and this group of people probably will not ever get to post here. if you do not need it and you think it is nothing, then you could have selected the option to donate to charity, so you can help them more.

Nothing to be excited about. The amount given not that much also.

its not the amount that sux. whats sux is that if they give u $0.50, they will get back $1.00. If they give u $200, they will make u bleed at $500. more price increases coming our way, be prepared all guys and girls, u have been forewarned.

So the last GST credit payment is at 2010, after that no more, wonder how did it help the poor more as claimed, after 2010?

So the last GST credit payment is at 2010, after that no more, wonder how did it help the poor more as claimed, after 2010?

...we are at 2008.

2010 then say, you got plan what you're going to eat this day 2 years down the road or not. no? then?

...obviously all very rich people here. the attitude disgusts me.

every little bit counts, if you ask me. and it is unfortunately, the people which it helps the most who want it more - and this group of people probably will not ever get to post here. if you do not need it and you think it is nothing, then you could have selected the option to donate to charity, so you can help them more.

I don't think you've got it right here. The whole point is that the govt is taking away money from us by GST hikes other taxes etc etc...to the point of excessive surplus. i.e. the govt dun need our $$$ but still taking it anyway i guess so can make big investments of questionable quality.

The fact that they are returning a portion of it back to us to make themselves look good and magnanimous, it is this that disgusts me. Because they had no need to tax this money away from us in the first place. This is my hard earned money, given to the govt as extra tax. They are well obliged to return part, or in fact most, of it to us if they did not find a need to use this extra tax.

My only hope is for 66.6% of Singaporeans to wake up and not be political pawns, swayed by the govt "gifting" us money that was rightfully ours to begin with.

no wonder when i was at cam-x, suddenly gut a urge to bbb, end up with a canolite d flash for my lovely canonet. now with original hood and flash:lovegrin::lovegrin:

complete-canonet.jpg

I don't think you've got it right here. The whole point is that the govt is taking away money from us by GST hikes other taxes etc etc...to the point of excessive surplus. i.e. the govt dun need our $$$ but still taking it anyway i guess so can make big investments of questionable quality.

The fact that they are returning a portion of it back to us to make themselves look good and magnanimous, it is this that disgusts me. Because they had no need to tax this money away from us in the first place. This is my hard earned money, given to the govt as extra tax. They are well obliged to return part, or in fact most, of it to us if they did not find a need to use this extra tax.

My only hope is for 66.6% of Singaporeans to wake up and not be political pawns, swayed by the govt "gifting" us money that was rightfully ours to begin with.
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

even my most critical economics professor, who has a lot to say about singapore's governance said this grudgingly in front of the entire cohort of first year students. he was talking about well, economics, and how asia's "amazing growth" was actually nothing short of a population explosion enhancing the total output of the entire region.

so as usual he stopped to tell one of his funny anecdotes, something about how a politician in country x went to visit another politician in country y (he actually stated the countries here, but well, it's not very nice). so country x's politician was wowed by the huge sprawling house that country y's politician had. so he asked y - "how did you do it?"

so y beckoned to him, they went out to the backyard, and y pointed out in the distance to an incomplete highway.

"see that highway?" x nodded. "well, half of it went in here." y beamed.

2 years later, y returned the visit to x. he was taken aback - x's house was EVEN GRANDER THAN HIS. so he had to ask x how he did it.

so as usual, x took him out to the backyard, and x pointed out in the distance to that jungle.

"see that?" y was bewildered.

"i don't see anything?"

x: "precisely, ALL OF IT, in here." :)

he then took a breather after the laughter and went on to talk about singapore's "interesting policies". and i was very amused at that time. like he said; nobody can predict how investments go exactly, not even the greatest economist or the smartest of men can do it, because there are just too many factors to consider. being a rather extreme "market force" advocate he remarked that he thought that the cpf concept was interesting - a bit on the babysitting side, and of course they should have left it to the people to handle their own future. then he paused for a moment and said, "you know what's really amazing? they actually give back the money!" and was met with a huge amount of laughter.

like i always say, every person in this world wants its government to do better. there are always things to improve, widening income gaps (if there isn't, you'd probably be stuck in a rut that is a far worse option). it is all part and parcel of progress; there is no such thing as an entire income bracket moving from $100-$5000 to $5100 - $10000. whatever gave people that idea today really beats me, you are more likely to end up with something like $200 - $1000000.

you know what's really funny? people complain that the government is not helping the poor, etc. well; gst coupled with the rebates is probably one of the few ways to help the poor - like i've argued before in the past, while perhaps the poor ARE hit harder by gst raises, etc, if you compare net amounts taken away to net amounts gained, then you'd see that the poor ARE probably getting helped. of course the middle class would get squeezed, and maybe some of the newly introduced policies seem to favour the rich - but if there's one thing most people OUTSIDE of singapore would agree on, it's that singapore is economically sound.

i do not know where the heck people get the idea that governments have an "obligation to return taxes once there is a surplus". that is really, the most ridiculous thing i have read in here for a long long time.

lastly; look at the calibre of opposition members we have; if the latest spate of events where one of our most "glorified" elected opposition members will not have the courage to stand up for what he started and backs down when questioned seriously - it just proves even more clearly to me that perhaps the people who voted for that guy should just reconsider, they have merely shooed in a useless jellyfish who's more interested in scoring political points than furthering the interests of the nation and sticking up for what he claims to believe in.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

even my most critical economics professor, who has a lot to say about singapore's governance said this grudgingly in front of the entire cohort of first year students. he was talking about well, economics, and how asia's "amazing growth" was actually nothing short of a population explosion enhancing the total output of the entire region.

so as usual he stopped to tell one of his funny anecdotes, something about how a politician in country x went to visit another politician in country y (he actually stated the countries here, but well, it's not very nice). so country x's politician was wowed by the huge sprawling house that country y's politician had. so he asked y - "how did you do it?"

so y beckoned to him, they went out to the backyard, and y pointed out in the distance to an incomplete highway.

"see that highway?" x nodded. "well, half of it went in here." y beamed.

2 years later, y returned the visit to x. he was taken aback - x's house was EVEN GRANDER THAN HIS. so he had to ask x how he did it.

so as usual, x took him out to the backyard, and x pointed out in the distance to that jungle.

"see that?" y was bewildered.

"i don't see anything?"

x: "precisely, ALL OF IT, in here." :)

he then took a breather after the laughter and went on to talk about singapore's "interesting policies". and i was very amused at that time. like he said; nobody can predict how investments go exactly, not even the greatest economist or the smartest of men can do it, because there are just too many factors to consider. being a rather extreme "market force" advocate he remarked that he thought that the cpf concept was interesting - a bit on the babysitting side, and of course they should have left it to the people to handle their own future. then he paused for a moment and said, "you know what's really amazing? they actually give back the money!" and was met with a huge amount of laughter.

like i always say, every person in this world wants its government to do better. there are always things to improve, widening income gaps (if there isn't, you'd probably be stuck in a rut that is a far worse option). it is all part and parcel of progress; there is no such thing as an entire income bracket moving from $100-$5000 to $5100 - $10000. whatever gave people that idea today really beats me, you are more likely to end up with something like $200 - $1000000.

you know what's really funny? people complain that the government is not helping the poor, etc. well; gst coupled with the rebates is probably one of the few ways to help the poor - like i've argued before in the past, while perhaps the poor ARE hit harder by gst raises, etc, if you compare net amounts taken away to net amounts gained, then you'd see that the poor ARE probably getting helped. of course the middle class would get squeezed, and maybe some of the newly introduced policies seem to favour the rich - but if there's one thing most people OUTSIDE of singapore would agree on, it's that singapore is economically sound.

i do not know where the heck people get the idea that governments have an "obligation to return taxes once there is a surplus". that is really, the most ridiculous thing i have read in here for a long long time.

lastly; look at the calibre of opposition members we have; if the latest spate of events where one of our most "glorified" elected opposition members will not have the courage to stand up for what he started and backs down when questioned seriously - it just proves even more clearly to me that perhaps the people who voted for that guy should just reconsider, they have merely shooed in a useless jellyfish who's more interested in scoring political points than furthering the interests of the nation and sticking up for what he claims to believe in.

Perhaps I wasn't too clear about the context. In this case the govt justified GST hikes by saying the money will be used to help the less well off. There is little transparency in whether this actually came to pass and the actual quoted figure was 3mil IIRC. I would have no issues if a larger portion of the GST surplus was actually designated for charity, healthcare subsidy or housing subsidy for the poor etc etc. But it seems here that this surplus may have been used for dubious investments instead.

My issue here is with the "sell". It is pure political movement. But I won't have been half as upset if they just plainly said they'd raise GST to bolster against a recession, instead of "to help the poor". In this case they are morally obliged to at least pledge the surplus to the people.

you're perfectly right in your insight anyway.

dang.. i'm a NSF.. but 20 only.. so cannot get.. :cry: we so poor le.. 1 mth only $399.20.. yet no help from the govt.. how can.. :dunno:

dang.. i'm a NSF.. but 20 only.. so cannot get.. :cry: we so poor le.. 1 mth only $399.20.. yet no help from the govt.. how can.. :dunno:
yeah but you only come out 4 times a month, which means you get to spend almost $100 each time you're out.

i used to get $200 or something like that, and that was only 5 years ago. my sergeants were getting $350. and yes, i missed the first few gst rebates too.

just enjoy what you have and be a happier person

yeah but you only come out 4 times a month, which means you get to spend almost $100 each time you're out.

i used to get $200 or something like that, and that was only 5 years ago. my sergeants were getting $350. and yes, i missed the first few gst rebates too.

just enjoy what you have and be a happier person

he complain simi

my camp no food provided, everyday make us book out

and i still managed to save :bsmilie:

mm...actually have you wondered why the calibre of the opposition members are like that?

Frankly, have you actually thought about what it takes to run for the opposition. Before you criticize the opposition, sitting it that armchair of yours, think about what they have sacrificed to give us singaporeans a choice.

PS: it is so hard to speak freely in singapore due to the political and legal climate. Seriously, even PROFESSIONALLY trained lawyers can be sued and convicted of libel. Frankly, in my own layman point of view, I really don't think that case was libel but obviously I was wrong. Since I don't know what is libel, I might as well just shut up.

http://www.ipu.org/hr-e/170/Sin01.htm

Guys, one reminder, don't turn this into another pro or anti government thread. I have said many times and I will say this again.

Given the anonymous nick posting nature of online forum, CS is not the place for such discussion. And there's a GOOD reason for this. Online internet is not as "law-free" as some of you may think. I am not discouraging the freedom of having personal opinion but I hope everyone do learn and think how can a online post (especially those heated and irresponsible replies) impact oneself AND others (CS in this place).

Efforts and time have been spent in keeping this website available for photographers to share their pic/photos, tips, etc. The last thing we want to see is another email from the relevant authorities knocking on CS doors again.

I am not locking this thread up, but do steer clear of those sensitive topics that I have mentioned above.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.