Groupon deal : $38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School

synergic

Apr 15, 2008
$38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School of Photography (Worth $200)

I just attended it last Sunday and would like to express my views on this workshop conducted by Steven Yee.
I am utterly disappointed with it and felt cheated when i left the workshop.

$38 for 1 Day Travel Photography Workshop at Knowledge Bowl School of Photography (Worth $200)

Firstly, it was conducted in a room on the roof of Forture Centre with 50 -70 participants. It should be called
a seminar not a workshop with so many participants. A workshop should be around 10-20 people to
maximize learning experience.

The Groupon deal stated 1 hour theory, 3 hours outdoor practical and 1 hour indoor review. The main reason for
signing up is because of the 1 hour photo review after the outdoor shoot. That is where we learn the most from photo critic.
But instead Steven just show off his photo enhancement skills using ACDSee software in that hour.

There was not coaching from Steven during the outdoor practical, he just show a few photos and ask all the participants
to go around the building for hunt for the location and take the same shots. This is purely a photo hunt and there is no theme to it.
What is to learn from this outdoor practical?

This is definitely a mismatch in the deal and poor organising of the workshop by Steven.
Probably this is the first and last time for me to attend Knowledge Bowl School of Photography.

I just attended it last Sunday and would like to express my views on this workshop conducted by Steven Yee.
I am utterly disappointed with it and felt cheated when i left the workshop.

Firstly, it was conducted in a room on the roof of Forture Centre with 50 -70 participants. It should be called
a seminar not a workshop with so many participants. A workshop should be around 10-20 people to
maximize learning experience.

The Groupon deal stated 1 hour theory, 3 hours outdoor practical and 1 hour indoor review. The main reason for
signing up is because of the 1 hour photo review after the outdoor shoot. That is where we learn the most from photo critic.
But instead Steven just show off his photo enhancement skills using ACDSee software in that hour.

There was not coaching from Steven during the outdoor practical, he just show a few photos and ask all the participants
to go around the building for hunt for the location and take the same shots. This is purely a photo hunt and there is no theme to it.

This is definitely a mismatch in the deal and poor organising of the workshop by Steven.
Probably this is the first and last time for me to attend Knowledge Bowl School of Photography.

Thank you for the review, you've saved me money so I don't need to go :)

I reserve my comments on other matters, and perhaps there is a better way to conduct these, but if this is not a rhetorical question, this exercise COULD possibly help to train your recognition of perspective, etc. For example, if the photograph required say, having to be lower than eye level, or for the participant to compose an upwards viewpoint, there are lessons to be learnt from there, especially if you are new. That said, I was not there and have no intimate knowledge of what went on, so I'm just postulating.

from a teaching stand point... the lack of a

But instead Steven just show off his photo enhancement skills using ACDSee software in that hour

does to some extent mean that you had no idea whether "you were doing it right or wrong"

did steven follow u all when u all were out shooting, to give tips?

just asking to get a clearer picture

Steven show about 6 shots taken around the Forture centre
in the classroom and ask participants to do a photo hunt.

Steven was not follow the participants around, he just stay in the
classroom watching Mr Bean show over the projector.

Honestly, i did not gain much knowledge about travel photography from this workshop.

Honestly, i did not gain much knowledge about travel photography from this workshop.

well... even my sch hired "coach" does it this way. i think he charges around 2k for... something like 12 sessions.

my story aside. try getting a refund?

How does it relate to Travel?

TS, you buy a deal from Groupon,
you attend the workshop,
you're not satisfied,

either you talk to the school or talk to Groupon

you post here is just to make a rant,
some might listen to you, some might not.

where got such thing one? i paid $5000 for Redhat course, dont like it can also refund?

hahaha *shrugs* if u have a case where ur money paid doesnt equate to an equal return in goods... tbh i dun see why not. u can always try asking.

its not about personal preference. dun like vs never teach is 2 different things.

its like u order chicken rice. u pay upfront. chicken rice come u dun like, vs give u a plate of rice but no chicken. big difference.

Last edited:
hahaha *shrugs* if u have a case where ur money paid doesnt equate to an equal return in goods... tbh i dun see why not. u can always try asking.

its not about personal preference. dun like vs never teach is 2 different things.

its like u order chicken rice. u pay upfront. chicken rice come u dun like, vs give u a plate of rice but no chicken. big difference.

first thing to ask. is $38 worth the hassle of time wastage going through Groupon, Knowledge Bowl and other relevant authorities?

if it were a $200 or $300 course i might. but for a $38 course? i don't think so

its not even 1-day course or even half day course. 1 hour theory, 1 hour review (which was not done) and 3 hours ... just go and shoot. so effectively only 2 hours teaching. 1-day course usually mean 8 hours. this is blatant mis-representation. btw, my friend, a very experienced photographer conducted 4-hr workshop at our church camp ---- for free ! maybe next time come to my church camp instead ;-)

anyway, thanks for sharing ---- warn other newbies of such scams !

first thing to ask. is $38 worth the hassle of time wastage going through Groupon, Knowledge Bowl and other relevant authorities?

if it were a $200 or $300 course i might. but for a $38 course? i don't think so

then it would be the system that has to change instead to be more accessible :)

which reminds me of another issue.

your logic applies to copyright issues. to some, it might be a simple case of not worth it hence they dun go and chase back the photos. but if u look slightly deeper, at least i feel there is a responsibility to claim back the copyright and prevent any more of such infringements happening/taken for granted. while you may feel that it doesn't matter, in reality you are just encouraging people to continue doing the same onto others.

then it would be the system that has to change instead to be more accessible :)

which reminds me of another issue.

your logic applies to copyright issues. to some, it might be a simple case of not worth it hence they dun go and chase back the photos. but if u look slightly deeper, at least i feel there is a responsibility to claim back the copyright and prevent any more of such infringements happening/taken for granted. while you may feel that it doesn't matter, in reality you are just encouraging people to continue doing the same onto others.

it's logic that applies everywhere. i for one wouldn't want to waste time and effort.

all i would do is make a relevant complaint to the authorities of a misrepresentation of the services offered, give a statement and practically tear down this bugger's reputation online and elsewhere.

and no. i won't want the money back. simply too much of a hassle. imagine the phone calls, the amount of times you have to travel up and down. emotional duress. etc. ALL FOR $38? you've gotta be kidding me.

or i can use one carefully worded document and a little time to make the complaint to relevant authorities to rip this guy a new one both online and offiline.

which one saves more time?

the time waster gets you your $38 dollars back. but you have to bend over backwards. and this little twerp still gets his rep because you also took the time to post this online.

or you could forgo the $38, and rip this guy a new one by focusing your efforts to slam him online. saves you much, much more time.

when you get to the real world outta school, your school of thought will change.

oh yes. there's also a reason why they make it a hassle to get to the relevant authorities... if not, every tom, dick, sally and mary will abuse the system for 50 cents

Last edited:
That why they charge cheap, knowing that not many people will take the trouble to get a refund or even complain. It's clearly a scam to make some quick and easy money.

If you write things pretty fast, it's no time at all. And not everyone works on money, money, money, sometimes it's the principle - if a person didn't do his job right, then it should be highlighted, for example.

from a teaching stand point... the lack of a

does to some extent mean that you had no idea whether "you were doing it right or wrong"

did steven follow u all when u all were out shooting, to give tips?

just asking to get a clearer picture

There is no right and wrong way in taking a photo.

You shoot it your way. :)