Not open for further replies.

manx

Jan 7, 2005
SG & HK
manx.dnip.net
What settings should I use?

Indoor, low light, restraunt

Apature?

E.g group sit along a bench, you take from the end of the benches. How?

Flash? Use bounce flash (SB-15) or direct (D70) ?

Don't use flash possible or not? With or without is better?

hmm tat depends on the length of the bench... if for about 3-5 person, i think aperture might reach f8-f11... den more, u wan the whole pic clear, might need f11-f22... really subjective...

when using such narrow aperture, u definitely need to use flash, otherwise, prepare a tripod & leave a long shutter, & provided nobody move...

but den again... if unsure... use P mode, matrix metering... no point doing so many test... mayb its just me...

Program mode. Camera does the metering.

When I'm taking group of friends at a long table, sometimes direct flash will cause the pple in front to be too brightly exposed to correctly expose for pple at the end. So usually I try to bounce my flash of the ceiling (if not too high) or I use a bounce card.

Aperture must be small enough to capture the depth. Flash is necessory, nobody is going to keep still for so long. If you want the ambient lighting with flash, you can try experimenting longer shutters.. but not too long though..

I set A-mode.

f5, iso 400, bounced flash.

Don't know why the thing gave me 1/2s.

I put the cam on my bag on the table. Objects are sharp, but ppl are not too sharp. Shutter too slow. But well.....4R should looks perfect. :p

manx said:
I set A-mode.

I put the cam on my bag on the table. Objects are sharp, but ppl are not too sharp. Shutter too slow. But well.....4R should looks perfect. :p

the room too dark? :sweat:

maybe can try iso800 and +1 flash EV?

manx said:
I set A-mode.

1/2s due to slow sync speed. If the people keep still should not be an issue if taken from table or tripod.

what is the focal length used ? where is the place ? indoor or outdoor ?

indoor at night. Marche Hereen Orchard.

The room was rather dim.

I guess my SB-15 is not fast/powerful enough then. Time to get SB-600.

Paul_Yeo said:
the room too dark? :sweat:

maybe can try iso800 and +1 flash EV?

I wish can try again....but then 15ppl will be yelling at me. :sweat:

manx said:
indoor at night. Marche Hereen Orchard.

The room was rather dim.

I guess my SB-15 is not fast/powerful enough then. Time to get SB-600.

nah... u should get SB-800... if u have any thing u wish to go buy... consult the 2 BUY BUY BUY consultant... espn & king tiger... they will sure tell u to buy buy buy the SB-800 :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

think u also need a faster lens... :bigeyes:

oh ya... if you metered & the settings show anything of a long shutter, you can have option to either up the EV, or ISO (unsure?... auto iso)... depending on your preference...

if i were u... i'll tell them i am testing the camera, den u take a few shots with different f value, den use the 1 thats best...

Try this

Manual mode with flash at TTL: f5.6 1/60s ISO 400 if you are within 3 meters from your subjects. May need to crank up the ISO if the place is really dim. works for me each time (Canon 300D with 17-85mm n 550ex flash)

Status
Not open for further replies.