groping and shooting in the DARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2004
Hi.
Going to embark on a series of outdoor night photography with some of my model friends. I have the faintest idea on how to work under low/no light conditions other than using car lights and street lamps to light up the place. I don't intend to use my camera flash it will detach my subject from the environment and reflectors ain't effective enough. Please do give me some guidance. :what:

Aug 19, 2003
www.boyorange.org
ever thought of renting a light box? a 400 should be bringht enuff for your lighting requirments ... hope this helps ;)

May 28, 2004
JermsDayOut said:
ever thought of renting a light box? a 400 should be bringht enuff for your lighting requirments ... hope this helps ;)
Thanks for the suggestion. But pardon me for being fussy. I'm looking for something more mobile and less of a hassle. I don't own a battery to lug about and the shoot is just going to involve 2 frail little girls -- my model and I. On top of that, I plan to shoot at Chinatown's red light district and I hope to attract minimal attention...
Thanks anyway dude :what:

clive

Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
try use f1.4 lens then just shoot in the available darkness may also work? :)

tmc17479

Oct 23, 2003
Bukit Timah
Visit site
candles would be a good idea, several of them should be enough, depending on where you put them. Might want to bring along reflectors just in case.

Tetrode

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
Tio Meng Samantha said:
Thanks for the suggestion. But pardon me for being fussy. I'm looking for something more mobile and less of a hassle. I don't own a battery to lug about and the shoot is just going to involve 2 frail little girls -- my model and I. On top of that, I plan to shoot at Chinatown's red light district and I hope to attract minimal attention...
Thanks anyway dude :what:
Carrefore and some hardware stores sell a large(but relatively light) rechargable flashlight which might work for you. I've seen them sell for about $29.95. The specs on the box claim 50K candle power(or something like that) which I seriously doubt but hey it's worth a try.

I actually seen some professional wedding photogs use it to light their subjects at twilight. I toyed with the idea of using one myself but haven't gotten round to doing it.

Might need to use PS to adjust the color balance later or use a correction filter on your lens.

May 28, 2004
:cry: :cry: :cry: WOW WEE...
I'm so touched.
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
I think a candles are extremely romantic. I guess I'll play around with using them. Though I think it may be not very effective, I'll also try attaching a torch light to a soft box. One suggestion I got which was pretty useful was to shine a torch on to a reflector. I'm so excited with that shoot. Afterall, whatever technique I use, what matters most is the effect I get.
Once again, thanks so much for the suggestions. They are very useful.
Arigatogozaimatsu!

May 28, 2004
*scratches her head shyly*
heh heh, pardon me, but how do you post images up?
I'm kindda new here :sweat:

Tio Meng Samantha said:
*scratches her head shyly*
heh heh, pardon me, but how do you post images up?
I'm kindda new here :sweat:

You aren't stupid.

Do you have a yahoo account? If so, upload your pics on geocities, you can do a hotlink by clicking on the 'Insert Image' icon on top and type in the address link to your image.

Good luck to your dark dark model shoot. :thumbsup:

ordinaryless said:
You aren't stupid.

Do you have a yahoo account? If so, upload your pics on geocities, you can do a hotlink by clicking on the 'Insert Image' icon on top and type in the address link to your image.

Good luck to your dark dark model shoot. :thumbsup:
I take back my words as i've faced difficulties in hotlinking pics from geocities.
www.photobucket.com would be a easier way to hotlink i think though i've not tried before. It's not impossible to use geocities just that u have to change the extension of ya pics in geocities form .jpg to .txt after u uploaded the pics into geocities.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom