Grey/Local sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehwhatthe

Dec 29, 2010
North-East
Hi all,

Wanna consult you guys on the purchase of camera accessories and lens

Basically, grey sets are overseas sets imported. Local, well... local.

Just want to know is it possible to differentiate between a grey and local set off hand just by looking at it.

Or is there another way to check if the purchase you are making (2nd hand) is a grey or local?

Thanks in advance!

no difference in the look.

just warranty issues.

grey set = no warranty

local set = got warranty

the shop will honestly tell u grey or local set. else avoid such shops!

Typically, no. Unless the difference lies in the language used in the menu system.

The best way to check before making the purchase is to ask the shopskeeper whether the camera you want to purchase from him/her is covered by local/international/shop warranty.

1) If he says international, most likely it's an imported set.
2) If he says shop only, walk out and never turn back, even if he has quoted you a very low price. (experienced it first hand)
3) If he says local, it should be safe to buy.
4) If he says local + international...well, that is for me to know and for you to find out. ;)

Hahaha agree with Etna-sama totally!

Well, those shops that offer "shop-only" warranty.. to me, its just as good as the grey set, where the warranty is just like not there.

If the shop suggests that the camera is under local + international warranty.. Got to check that with other dealers... For what I know, msot of the brands only offer local warranty.. So be careful, do your homework before going down to get your camera. =)

if the grey set is cheaper than a 2nd hand unit, i don't see any issues why one shouldn't go for it. shop warranty is better than no warranty. Lowly Paid Hobbyist like me can't afford to buy new from authorized distributor everytime!

on product itself, i guess it's pretty hard to differentiate.. but on warranty card, the origin will be stated. assuming you buy new of course.

Last edited:
Certain names of camera models are only used in certain areas for marketing reasons. The Canon 'Rebel' name is used in JP and US (AFAIK), in Europe and here locally the number system (e.g. 550D) is used. Apart from that, missing or unusual menu languages could point to a different origin. In terms of features I don't think there are any differences (anymore).
To verify the local warranty you need the warranty card. If you buy 2nd hand you could ask the seller for serial # upfront and verify with Service Center. Honest sellers will help you. Do note that Canon just changed their warranty system, lenses now only come with local warranty. But lenses purchased elsewhere might come with international warranty (card!) and the Service Centers will honour that.

Tks for the great share of info! Great help for newbies esp!

Just want to know is it possible to differentiate between a grey and local set off hand just by looking at it.

Or is there another way to check if the purchase you are making (2nd hand) is a grey or local?

Thanks in advance!

You have to look at the warranty, and do your homework beforehand.

Asking the shop, if it is a reliable one (e.g. Cathay, OP, MS Colour, TK Foto) will also help. I won't trust the less reliable shops though, they will do antyhing to earn your money.

if the grey set is cheaper than a 2nd hand unit, i don't see any issues why one shouldn't go for it. shop warranty is better than no warranty. Lowly Paid Hobbyist like me can't afford to buy new from authorized distributor everytime!

on product itself, i guess it's pretty hard to differentiate.. but on warranty card, the origin will be stated. assuming you buy new of course.

Depends on how you see it.

The thing is, if you buy a grey set of international warranty, you can bring it to the manufacturer's official service centre here to get it fixed. At least there is a peace of mind involved.

Wheras if you buy a grey set with 'shop warranty', you are essentially at the shop's mercy if something happens. And if the shop has been known to be a shady one, the $100 you save in buying the camera means nothing if the shop does a bang-up job on your camera repair.

I faced this issue here when trying to decide where to purchase my HS10: the store which provided 'shop-only' warranty was offering the camera for a cool $65 cheaper than Alan Photo ($685 vs $620). But when pressed further about where the store would send the camera for servicing in the event something happens, the storekeeper kept dodging my questions with a standard "we'll handle it for you" answer.

In the end i decided to go without lunch and dinner for 1 more month and got the set from Alan Photo.

closing thread! thanks for all the response!!

Status
Not open for further replies.