hope someone can help me out here..
and how do i go about using it?
thanks in advance..

diggitydang said:
where can i purchase one?
hope someone can help me out here..
and how do i go about using it?
thanks in advance..

You can buy a Kodak 18% Gray Card at Cathay Photo. I believe they are still selling it for $22.

If you buy the Kodak Gray Card, it comes with instructions on how to use it.

I don't use the gray card much these day ever since I bought an ExpoDisc. :thumbsup: It replaces the gray card.

photobum said:
You can buy a Kodak 18% Gray Card at Cathay Photo. I believe they are still selling it for $22.

If you buy the Kodak Gray Card, it comes with instructions on how to use it.

I don't use the gray card much these day ever since I bought an ExpoDisc. :thumbsup: It replaces the gray card.
I remember a few months back there is a CSer advise to look into photography books. Some of the books have printed gray card (that you can cut it and use it) at the back.

Sorry, don't ask me, I don't know which book(s).

Regards,
Arto.

Can one just go to Microsoft Word and create a box and fill it with 18% grey colour
and then print out to use as grey card? :bsmilie:

benedium said:
Can one just go to Microsoft Word and create a box and fill it with 18% grey colour
and then print out to use as grey card? :bsmilie:
is your printer calibrated?
even you use photoshop to create a file and send for lab print, the photo print also will not be 100% R 127, G 127, B 127.

The cheapest is still Kodak graycard.

I bought the Kodak one at Cathay for $25. It's a set of 2 big-sized ones, and 1 small one. Each is grey on one side, and white on the other.

It's great, white balance will really be good, although any white paper is not too bad.

I use both this and the Expodisc, though, depending on the situation. The Expodisc has a more balanced way of achieving white balance. It is definitely expensive, but it still is a good tool. More on this here :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm

Artosoft said:
I remember a few months back there is a CSer advise to look into photography books. Some of the books have printed gray card (that you can cut it and use it) at the back.

Sorry, don't ask me, I don't know which book(s).

Regards,
Arto.

That would be me:)

You don't know which books cos I never mentioned (cos nobody asked)

Adobe Photoshop CS 2 for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby has one which works pretty well.

thanks guys..
hmm so the grey card is used for white balance and metering/exposure?
white balance is used to get the proper use of whites so that it can suit the mood the photographer wish to compose the photo right?

diggitydang said:
thanks guys..
hmm so the grey card is used for white balance and metering/exposure?
white balance is used to get the proper use of whites so that it can suit the mood the photographer wish to compose the photo right?

not really mood, if you wan to capture the mood, using ambient or surrounding light will be better. grey card mainly helps you to achieve correct color in weird color lighting.

I've been trying to purchase a grey card too. Most ppl just laughed at me when I mentioned it in the shops.

The National Geographic book has a 'grey card' on the inside front cover.

I plan to buy some materials in the same shade, this way it can be left crumpled in the bottom of my bag and pulled out when I need help with tricky exposures.

The plastic top of a pringles tube makes a cheap 'expodisc' which is used to set the perfect white balance :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for visiting my gallery

ExplorerZ said:
not really mood, if you wan to capture the mood, using ambient or surrounding light will be better. grey card mainly helps you to achieve correct color in weird color lighting.

oh i see..thanks :)

Manda said:
I've been trying to purchase a grey card too. Most ppl just laughed at me when I mentioned it in the shops.

The National Geographic book has a 'grey card' on the inside front cover.

I plan to buy some materials in the same shade, this way it can be left crumpled in the bottom of my bag and pulled out when I need help with tricky exposures.

The plastic top of a pringles tube makes a cheap 'expodisc' which is used to set the perfect white balance :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for visiting my gallery

oh..you mean i just mount the plastic cover of the pringles tube then set the white balance buy pointing it at the place i wanna shoot?

diggitydang said:
oh..you mean i just mount the plastic cover of the pringles tube then set the white balance buy pointing it at the place i wanna shoot?

Haha I'm skeptical... but I'll try it the next time I get a can...

When you look through the Expodisc, it is not white. It is gray. 18% gray to be exact. Expodisc is a precision tool. The white balance results I got from the Expodisc is more accurate and (warmer) than the gray card.

Yes, there quite a few photography books that come with a tear-away gray card but they are not true 18% gray, and tends to have a color casts on them. This may complicate matters. Therefore, it is safer and cheaper to buy the Koday gray cards. After all, you are just paying about 10% of the cost of an Expodisc.

When I was at RIT, I tested a few gray cards using a Heiland densitometer and a Gregtag Macbeth spectrometer. Kodak ones are the most accurate. Second are Delta gray cards (if you can find Delta products in Singapore). Delta gray cards cost three-quarter less than Kodak's. Maybe someone can bulk order them from B&H Photo.

comes with 4 warm cards with different tones and package come with one Grey card to check expo. They have 1/2 warm, ward card 2,3, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.