Gretag Eye-one ICC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horus

Oct 23, 2002
Northern Singapore
Hi there,

just enquiring anyone has the Eye-One photo/publish package from Gretag Macbeth? or any idea the cost? It's supposed to include a spectrophotometre and and able to capture RGB print profiles as well.

Market survey : will anyone be interested to pay for individual profiling if I were to invest in one and offer to profile for them? :)

do note that one's CRT and LCD does age, and one need to recalibrate often, bare minimum for me is every 3 months (best is every day or every week).

i would be interested in print profiling.

erwinx said:
i would be interested in print profiling.

hmm...ok...one taker. are u using a RGB or CMYK printer? The OTHER question is : how much would you pay for a profile service? :think: the ink and paper brand has to be consistent in order for the profile to be effective.

trying to calculate if it's worth the initial investment AT ALL. it's very very expensive.... :nono:

oeyvind said:
do note that one's CRT and LCD does age, and one need to recalibrate often, bare minimum for me is every 3 months (best is every day or every week).

adooi...so you are using it? a colorimeter in that case i reckon? :lovegrin:

how much did u pay for it....is it even effective at all? would you be interested to profile for me my printer and monitor in tat case and how much would you charge? :sweatsm:

Horus said:
adooi...so you are using it? a colorimeter in that case i reckon? :lovegrin:

how much did u pay for it....is it even effective at all? would you be interested to profile for me my printer and monitor in tat case and how much would you charge? :sweatsm:

Everything need to be profiled... CRT/LCD, next the scanner and printer.

I see you missed out the scanner part.

I used full GM EyeOne & Binuscan PhotoRetouch Pro before at my brother's ex firm in KL. Not cheap, the full setup comes with own pelican case.

For now, just using ColorVision Spyder for LCD & CRT calibration. Print wise I'm pretty safe as the printers at work has ColorSync profiles.

Another cheap solution that work is Monaco EzColor... you need a proper scanner to scan it the print out as well in this system.

oeyvind said:
Everything need to be profiled... CRT/LCD, next the scanner and printer.

I used full GM EyeOne & Binuscan PhotoRetouch Pro before at my brother's ex firm in KL. Not cheap, the full setup comes with own pelican case.

For now, just using ColorVision Spyder for LCD & CRT calibration. Print wise I'm pretty safe as the printers at work has ColorSync profiles.

Another cheap solution that work is Monaco EzColor... you need a proper scanner to scan it the print out as well in this system.

If you are a fully digital photographer, theres no need to profile the scanner. Unlike the Colorvision solution, the Gretag does not need to use a scanner to profile printers.

p.s. i'm not interested in monitor calibration, that is cheap enough to get for myself but less useful without printer calibration...

My bad, however only the Eye-One Pro with Eye-One match can do that... Eye-One publish if u do CMYK printing, if not Eye-One Photo should do it.

oeyvind said:
I used full GM EyeOne & Binuscan PhotoRetouch Pro before at my brother's ex firm in KL. Not cheap, the full setup comes with own pelican case. For now, just using ColorVision Spyder for LCD & CRT calibration. Print wise I'm pretty safe as the printers at work has ColorSync profiles.

yup as erwinx pointed out i'm purely using digital...so i can skip the scanner part...
how is the monaco Ezcolor's performance? good? :sweatsm:
i think for cost / performance I should consider just getting a cheaper spyder like Monaco Ezcolor and buy an online profile from websites for the Canon i950 printer (which i plan to get). any suggestions would be appreciated :D

oeyvind said:
My bad, however only the Eye-One Pro with Eye-One match can do that... Eye-One publish if u do CMYK printing, if not Eye-One Photo should do it.

not too sure if the Canon i950 printer is using RGB or CMYK print. can anyone shed some light ? :think:

Horus said:
yup as erwinx pointed out i'm purely using digital...so i can skip the scanner part...
how is the monaco Ezcolor's performance? good? :sweatsm:
i think for cost / performance I should consider just getting a cheaper spyder like Monaco Ezcolor and buy an online profile from websites for the Canon i950 printer (which i plan to get). any suggestions would be appreciated :D
For printing, the profile is tied to the paper and ink, or the output. Unless the paper or the ink changes significantly, there is little need to re-profile very often, may be for each significant batch of ink or every 6 months.

As for displays, a monthly reprofiling for CRT is fine; this is the same setting the the high-end Sony monitors reminding you to re-profile. LCD? Less frequent, something like 3 months as the LCD itself don't really change, only the backlight (which gets dimmer as you use it)

Your idea is frankly good enough, unless you intend to do professional (ie earn lots of $$$ to print high end) printing. I'm having the Eye-One display myself. In future, if you choose to add the print module, you can "upgrade" and may even get a discount for the effort.

As for displays, a monthly reprofiling for CRT is fine; this is the same setting the the high-end Sony monitors reminding you to re-profile. LCD? Less frequent, something like 3 months as the LCD itself don't really change, only the backlight (which gets dimmer as you use it)

Your idea is frankly good enough, unless you intend to do professional (ie earn lots of $$$ to print high end) printing. I'm having the Eye-One display myself. In future, if you choose to add the print module, you can "upgrade" and may even get a discount for the effort.

yes i read abt it. so u own the i1 display? how much did u pay for it? they actuali have 3 packages : basic one comes wiff colorimeter for lcd n crt only. the "photo" and latter package comes wiff the spectrophotometer and is able to profile RGB/CMYK printers. which one did u get? where did u get it from? pretty interested in it :D

Horus said:
yes i read abt it. so u own the i1 display? how much did u pay for it? they actuali have 3 packages : basic one comes wiff colorimeter for lcd n crt only. the "photo" and latter package comes wiff the spectrophotometer and is able to profile RGB/CMYK printers. which one did u get? where did u get it from? pretty interested in it :D

Yep, the i1 Display. I paid for errrrm, mmmm around S$390 (US$240). I had a friend going to US so ordered it online and... :D

The reason why I chose it is because it combines both CRT and LCD in one package. Furthermore, on DPReview, many felt that it was better than Spyder. So...

The Photo package is attrative, but I do not have the intension to print out for-sale pictures, so I didn't consider the "Photo" package (plus I'm broke :p ). My view was that if and when I need, I will send to professional printers. I don't want to spend money on printers like i950 or Epson 2100/2200, even though I wish I have them :sweat: . Those who wants the photo can then pay for it separately. I've got an el-cheapo Epson 830 that produces good sample pictures (besides the too-dark images even when my monitor is calibrated and I've tried "by the numbers" adjustments) to give people an idea.

When I have to print, I expect that company to give me their profile.

Watcher said:
Yep, the i1 Display. I paid for errrrm, mmmm around S$390 (US$240). I had a friend going to US so ordered it online and... :D

The reason why I chose it is because it combines both CRT and LCD in one package. Furthermore, on DPReview, many felt that it was better than Spyder. So...

The Photo package is attrative, but I do not have the intension to print out for-sale pictures, so I didn't consider the "Photo" package (plus I'm broke :p ). My view was that if and when I need, I will send to professional printers. I don't want to spend money on printers like i950 or Epson 2100/2200, even though I wish I have them :sweat: . Those who wants the photo can then pay for it separately. I've got an el-cheapo Epson 830 that produces good sample pictures (besides the too-dark images even when my monitor is calibrated and I've tried "by the numbers" adjustments) to give people an idea.

hmm...you Do have a point and i concur with your rationale. guess i should try ordering online too...wonder if Amazon.Com sells it (so i can share transport costs with frens ordering books). I was sandwiched between Monaco and Gretag. It's a hefty price here tho - at $676 /w GST! btr save a few bucks and order online :sweatsm: Thanks again for the advice! :thumbsup:

Horus said:
hmm...you Do have a point and i concur with your rationale. guess i should try ordering online too...wonder if Amazon.Com sells it (so i can share transport costs with frens ordering books). I was sandwiched between Monaco and Gretag. It's a hefty price here tho - at $676 /w GST! btr save a few bucks and order online :sweatsm: Thanks again for the advice! :thumbsup:
Amazon will refer you to the company that I bought from :D . But... it will be shipped separately and the shipping kills (with a blunt butcher knife :bsmilie: ). See if you got friend hand carry for you. Last time (2 years ago), there were transshipment companies (send to US address and with consolidation, send to your SG address) but now :(

Watcher said:
Amazon will refer you to the company that I bought from :D . But... it will be shipped separately and the shipping kills (with a blunt butcher knife :bsmilie: ). See if you got friend hand carry for you. Last time (2 years ago), there were transshipment companies (send to US address and with consolidation, send to your SG address) but now :(

erm...can gimme the web addy of the coy you bought from? can pm me if it's inconvenient. :D i WANT it :lovegrin:

Funny thing is some shops absolutely refuse to give you their profiles, e.g. fotohub. anyone knows what type of printers they use and whehter a corresponding ICC profile can be got off the net?

they give reasons like "oh we calibrate the printer everyday so can't give profile" and when asked whtehr that means the prints always looks different from day to day, the answer was "yes".

which makes me wonder...why bother to calibrate if it always looks different, is n't calibrating supposed to match the device intended to be calirbated, to a fixed standard?

:)

Watcher said:

Horus said:
erm...can gimme the web addy of the coy you bought from? can pm me if it's inconvenient. :D i WANT it :lovegrin:

www.colormall.com The company is in California, and is very responsive. If you search for these items on Amazon, they would refer you to Colormall (an affliate I think). Take a look through their catalog, some of the items cost :eek: :sweat:

vince123123 said:
Funny thing is some shops absolutely refuse to give you their profiles, e.g. fotohub. anyone knows what type of printers they use and whehter a corresponding ICC profile can be got off the net?

they give reasons like "oh we calibrate the printer everyday so can't give profile" and when asked whtehr that means the prints always looks different from day to day, the answer was "yes".

which makes me wonder...why bother to calibrate if it always looks different, is n't calibrating supposed to match the device intended to be calirbated, to a fixed standard?

:)

that sounds like a very diplomatic way to say WE DON't CALIBRATE :angry: go to somewhere else that offers? prints should not look diff BECAUSE they profile it everyday to compensate for the differences...it's proper conversion to the calibrated color space that is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.