Greetings... Would like to seek advise from the ladies photographers here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarity

Dec 30, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Erm.. Thking of switching to a digital SLR from pns. However, bothered abt the weight portion...

Would like to find out wat are the digital SLR models the rest of the ladies are using?

Thanks in advance. :)

Apologies if this has been posted before, did a search, did not find anything similar...

Well, Jeanie is using a D3... It's heavy, but I think she uses it mainly on a tripod. Right, Jeanie?

if u don't mind canon, the 350D/400D and the upcoming 450D are considered quite light.

Hmm..since u r looking into travelling, I would say a Nikon D40/60. Canon wise, 350D or 400D would be nice.
I'm personally using Nikon D70 :)

Im actually thking D80.. Ha, and it seems heavy enuff somehow.. :sweat: Im more to using it for travelling..

Same here, been looking for a lightweight DSLR for my travels, have been to the shops and the Nikon D40x/D60, Canon 400D or the upcoming 450D, Olympus E510 will be able to fit in our hands. Didn't get to try the other brands such as Sony though.

The Nikon feels the lightest of them all, which is why I'm getting one soon. Cheers!

I used to use a D70, but have been on the D200 for more than a year now and am cool with it, having used it extensively for outdoor shoots and travels. I don't think I'll ever go for a pro body though... that'll def be too much. As for weight load and how much I can handhold without tiring after a days' shoot, I guess the D200 + 80-400 VR would be my max. The D200 + a standard zoom lens + battery grip + SB-800 flash would be close to my limit as well. All that, and I am very small-built by average standards, so IMHO the D80 should be no problem for you...

It does take getting used to, but it would seem as if my arm 'muscles' have grown to adapt... :sweat: How much I can stand holding up a camera to face level is one thing, the weight of the camera gear in the camera shoulder bag is another - I find that my shoulder aches more easily from the kit load than my do arms tire from shooting (if using the same kit), so if you are worried about the weight while travelling, you might perhaps want to look at choice of camera bags as well...

best to go to local camera shops to have a feel of the camera.

see which one (when fitted with lens, batt, memory cards, etc) feels the best in ur hands.

Think other than weight, another consideration is the size of your hand..

I've got Canon 400D, only other option i considered was nikon d40x.. For Canon 40D and above, my hand doesn't grip the camera comfortably. Best to go to the shops to have a feel of the cameras in your hands..

Wow, thanks for all the replies :D

Hmm, I was actually considering the D40 and D40X, but they dun have AEB... Same goes for D60...

Hence, my focus switch to D80.. Hehe, I thk I favour Nikon ;p

Not really much of a "weight" carrying person.. Ha... Hence hope to start off as light as possible :)

Hmm.. haven had a chance to "feel" the camera.. Perhaps should go down soon...

Btw, what tripods is everyone using? Thk would need a recommendation for a light one..

why not try the olympus E410? its really decievingly light.

Remember ar.. When you buy a DSLR, you buy the system, not just one camera...

Also, your body can be light, but if you decide to use a big lens.. Den heavy ler!

Wow, thanks for all the replies :D

Hmm, I was actually considering the D40 and D40X, but they dun have AEB... Same goes for D60...

Hence, my focus switch to D80.. Hehe, I thk I favour Nikon ;p

Not really much of a "weight" carrying person.. Ha... Hence hope to start off as light as possible :)

Hmm.. haven had a chance to "feel" the camera.. Perhaps should go down soon...

Btw, what tripods is everyone using? Thk would need a recommendation for a light one..

do note that the D40/x/D60 has no built-in AF drive motor, thus for AF, AF-S and AF-I lenses are required.

Hmmmmm.. the live view portion is very tempting :lovegrin:

canon 450D has live view too. but if u want u still gotta wait (for now).

anw, just some weight specifications:

Nikon D40 - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/ batt)
Nikon D40X - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/ batt)
Nikon D60 - 471g (no batt), 522g (w/batt)
Nikon D70s - 585g (no batt), 679g (w/ batt)
Nikon D80 - 595g (no batt), 668g (w/ batt)
Canon EOS 350D - 490g (no batt), 540g (w/ batt + CF)
Canon EOS 400D - 514g (no batt), 556g (w/ batt + CF)
Canon EOS 450D - 475g (no batt)
Olympus E-410 - 375g (no batt), 435g (w/ batt)
Sony A300 - 582g (no batt)
Sony A350 - 582g (no batt)

of cos, these numbers mean almost nth. best to go try out and feel the weight, grip, etc...

Erm.. Thking of switching to a digital SLR from pns. However, bothered abt the weight portion...

Would like to find out wat are the digital SLR models the rest of the ladies are using?

Thanks in advance. :)

Apologies if this has been posted before, did a search, did not find anything similar...

don't worry about it, so long as you stay away from the heavy lenses - which make up most of the weight.. or the higher level dslrs, which i think, tend to be heavier, you should be fine.

what is more important is the handling - for example if you have a big chunky piece of dslr and you have small hands, even if it weighs the same as a pns you would find it painful to carry it around. so go down to the shops, get your paws on some models and try it with kit lens on.

other than that, it is noteworthy to remember that you are buying into a system. make sure that you are well-acquainted with the strengths and weaknesses of every brand first and foremost so that you won't have to switch in future unless the brand really becomes horrible.. at least if you plan to take up photography long-term. at the same time, it will be great learning towards understanding the concept of photography and what it encompasses, as well as some technical terms so you can better understand the vast amounts of resources out there available on the internet with regards to photography.

you may check out dpreview.com and imaging resource (google, can't remmeber address) for reviews on cameras, but these are just reviews.. i think the most important thing in the end is that you must like your camera model. if you don't like it, you won't use it, so what's the point? :dunno:

Canon 450d :gbounce: mi gonna get one whn its out :cool:

The lens will play a bigger part on the weight if 'good zoom lenses' are what you intend to use it with. A vast majority of the 'good zoom lenses' out there are more than 500g. So, the weight of the body is only a portion of the whole equation. You need to consider the flash too. Which when loaded with batteries are about 400-500g too!

Just try at the shops and see which is more comfortable in the hands. Not to forget, the basic camera system of each brand is tuned differently.

Additional considerations would include:
  • Picture quality (most entry level ones are very close in this)
  • Lens availability ( wide range or limited range )
  • Camera features ( Stripped down versus crippled )
  • Overall cost of ownership (maintenance, accessories, purchase of camera plus available lenses)

Maybe I'm biased but based on the above, the Canon 400D /450D seems to have the best balance.

If not in a rush, give it another 2-3 weeks, the Canon 450D should be available soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.