Greetings from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgoh

Mar 12, 2005
Seletar Hills
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the stuff on this forum rather religiously for sometime and I must say i've learnt heaps of stuff from here. Will probably make my purchase of my first DSLR at the IT fair today (previously using minolta and Nikon Point and shoot cameras)after seeing the amazing photographs posted by forumers (likely the D70 although Canon's 350D isn't too bad either). Humbly, I hope to learn more about photography and on how to optimse the usage of my new camera from all of you:). Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Sam

Good luck with your camera hunting.

Just happened to look at another thread after yours:
ClubSNAP > Equipment Discussions > Nikon > IT Show 2005 - Nikon Booth Shots.
...it looks really crowded.

Some things I would have considered if I knew better before I bought mine (fortunately, some I did):
1. Visit dpreview.com to do an image quality comparison
2. Nikon is really good for shooting IR (have to shoot 10s on my Canon to get a picture) but doesn't have ISO 100 (I'm sure you've read lots on the features of both cameras)
3. Plan your lenses before you buy if you can and have the budget for it (otherwise you may be stuck with the kit lens)
4. Accessories (i.e. I think there's no battery grip for the D70)
5. MOST importantly: Get a feel of both, how it fits in your hand, how easy it is to make adjustments, picture quality (bring your own CF card if you have one and take pictures from both cameras, then compare), etc. A long time ago I wanted a Fuji but ended up with a Canon after trying both out.

Cheers :)

samgoh said:
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the stuff on this forum rather religiously for sometime and I must say i've learnt heaps of stuff from here. Will probably make my purchase of my first DSLR at the IT fair today (previously using minolta and Nikon Point and shoot cameras)after seeing the amazing photographs posted by forumers (likely the D70 although Canon's 350D isn't too bad either). Humbly, I hope to learn more about photography and on how to optimse the usage of my new camera from all of you:). Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Sam

Welcome :D ...... basic rule here is ...... it is not the camera that makes the photographs, it is the photographer behind :D

samgoh said:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Sam

newbie and already buying DSLR, i so jealous ;( ... :bsmilie: welcome! :)

thanks for your warm welcomes! Been wanting to get myself an DSLR for sometime, but of course given I have had to save up for quite a longwhile since i'm still a student...( this is gona cuz me to eat grass for the next few mths) ..I'm a little slow with learning about the technicalities of the DSLR having played with a friend's D70 but perhaps that will improve once I get my own. And I totally agree with you that its not the camera, rather who remains behind the camera who makes good photographs! :) With regards to choosing a proper lens, if i do get the D70, i probably will get the kit lens and upgrade in the future once i complete my studies given my current budget constraints!

samgoh said:
thanks for your warm welcomes! Been wanting to get myself an DSLR for sometime, but of course given I have had to save up for quite a longwhile since i'm still a student...( this is gona cuz me to eat grass for the next few mths) ..I'm a little slow with learning about the technicalities of the DSLR having played with a friend's D70 but perhaps that will improve once I get my own. And I totally agree with you that its not the camera, rather who remains behind the camera who makes good photographs! :) With regards to choosing a proper lens, if i do get the D70, i probably will get the kit lens and upgrade in the future once i complete my studies given my current budget constraints!

Don't worry .... .the D70 Kit Lens is an outstanding lens. Chances are you would not need to upgrade for a long time :D ....

samgoh said:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Sam

Welcome to CS. I also still quite new around here. Nice to hear that you upgrading now. :bsmilie: I also hope to upgrade to DSLR by this Sep. :think:

Hello,

Welcome to ClubSnap! This is definitely the place where cameras and cameramen unite and talk and share. I am also a newbie here, just joined this forum not too long ago.

Feel free to ask questions. The nice people here will have your questions answered. :)

hello everyone..

ok..after much thinking..i've finally landed myself a D70:)..couldnt resist the feel of it although Canon's E350 is really quite a nice weight..thanks for the warm welcomes once again and i hope to be able to join you guys on shoots once may comes..Just to check, can anyone join these shoots or do I have to pay to join outings? Thank you ;)

Sam

welcome to D70 !!
here are some useful links for you :
http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves.html
http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/d100-customcurves.html
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=97260&highlight=dust+d70

i am also a D70 users. dun let the features overkill you, but use it to develop your own photograhy style. and dun get the lens limit you in a way. see the world different as taking picture is an art =)

here is my first attempt using D70 :
http://oceanxp.clubsnap.org/gallery/europe/2004-05/index.html

samgoh said:
hello everyone..

ok..after much thinking..i've finally landed myself a D70:)..couldnt resist the feel of it although Canon's E350 is really quite a nice weight..thanks for the warm welcomes once again and i hope to be able to join you guys on shoots once may comes..Just to check, can anyone join these shoots or do I have to pay to join outings? Thank you ;)

Sam

hi ocean xp...i think they are very nice ..those first ones u took..however i'm unable to comment much since i'm still new at this..can i ask what was your setting when u took the picture with the lady in Best of italy?

can;t recall, i think is A priority of F2.8, ISO200. coz light is rather dim that day, so i use a lower A value. You can check out the EXIF data that is presented in some of the photo downloaded.

However, D70 "LCD" screen is brighter than the actual shot ( even if i set a value slightly lower than normal), so dun trust the LCD completely. In addition, your monitor colour temp will make a lot of difference to the photo. Try to use Adobe Color temp or set to the one that accurately display the colours of your photo.

welcome welcome!

newbie here also learning from all the PROs here.... :) enjoy ur stay!

samgoh said:
hello everyone..

ok..after much thinking..i've finally landed myself a D70:)..
Sam
Warning: buying your 1st DSLR is only the beginning, I bet by now u have a long list of "must-buy" liao, hope u wont sweat like these :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! You are very right! After getting my Nikon D70 Digital SLR, I now need to buy flash and 2 other lenses! Argh! Costs a lot!! More sweat!!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

samgoh said:
hello everyone..

Sam

WELCOME SAM !!! Since u asked, most organised shoots you find in "Workshops, Studio/ Model shoots" sub-forum require a fee ( some affordable, some pricey ..basically u pay for what u get :) ) If u want TFP or TFCD, it's better to get your frens to be your subject - assuming u r interested in portrait photography...cheaper, mah.

If you hate to shoot alone, then join the fun bunch in the Sentosa thread during their regular meetings and outdoor shoots.

I hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.