Greenscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplemonkey369

Feb 18, 2009
I've got a quick noob question.

How and where do you usually deploy your chroma key set-ups if you don't have an office or warehouse space?

What's the best and most economical way to achieve even lighting to light up the screen?

Thanks! :)

If you have space constraint, suggest you hire a bigger space. It just makes life easier and cuts down time spent on Post. Having said that it is also possible to do lighting in constrained space. You need to pay special attention to the exposure as you may notice hot spots on the scene after you setup. So keep checking exposure after you have done the setup and after introduccing the character and lighting for the character.
Mount one light high above, suggest a wider light to be used. (I assume the space is about 6 feet in lenght and about 9 feet or 10 high). The light should be wide enough and pointed down at about 45%. Could be the key light for the background.
Then place the character and post. Checck exposure for the character. Try to reflect light on to the character, if not sufficient, introduce one lower power light on to the character from a 45 Degree angle. Check exposure again, correct light and reflection.
Now check the entire shot for exposure - may be take multiple readings from the camera on multiple points in the scene or use a light meter. SUggest to use a light meter - easier to use and compare. If any point is off, correct it by GOBO or Reflector..

All the best for the tight shot though.

bring the whole chroma keys outdoors.... cheap and easy hope for an overcast day just use reflector to outline your subject and chroma 101 indoors or outdoor never be near to the wall or backdrop shadows cause loadsa prob

CSO green backdrop with stand, 2 soft boxes and 1x800w redhead is more than sufficient for me to do a decent on-location setup.

Normally I'll request to shoot in client's conference room...and if they need teleprompter and such, I'd rather them come over to my studio for shoot coz my cost for location production is higher due to additional manpower requirements. :thumbsup:

I own a 8ft x 8ft ReflecMedia pop-up backdrop that folds into a 3ft diameter circle. I love it because:

LED light ring produce even green on the ReflecMedia screen.
No need for additional lighting for the screen.
Talent can be as close to screen as they like. No spill.
screen can be tilted, wrinkled, even wet without affecting the chromakey.

Only complaints are :
Can only be used indoor.
microscopic reflective beads on the screen starts to fall off due to wear and tear.
Cannot be used with mirror-style teleprompter.
Expensive to replace

if no space your subject will oso turn out green...

I own a 8ft x 8ft ReflecMedia pop-up backdrop that folds into a 3ft diameter circle. I love it because:

LED light ring produce even green on the ReflecMedia screen.
No need for additional lighting for the screen.
Talent can be as close to screen as they like. No spill.
screen can be tilted, wrinkled, even wet without affecting the chromakey....

Say, how much did you get the set-up for bro?

Got it locally?

Do you think the rental houses have this?

I bought the reflecMedia kit from AV8 4 yrs ago at $4800. Had to buy it since no one was renting then . Today, you can get a similar product from Datavideo at half the price. The Datavideo system uses a roll-up screen rather than a pop up screen, I believe.

I've got a quick noob question.

How and where do you usually deploy your chroma key set-ups if you don't have an office or warehouse space?

What's the best and most economical way to achieve even lighting to light up the screen?

Thanks! :)

One of the biggest challenges of successfully working with a green screen is evenly lighting it.
If you are working with a low-budget setup, shadows become more difficult to stop due to the cheaper, less specialized materials used. This is why it is even that much more important to make sure your lighting is as even as possible. Using a minimum of two lights, you should direct light inwards from either side, and from below; modify till you get the most even lighting. Using diffusion filters makes a huge difference during this step. They greatly decrease the occurrence of shadows.

It makes the keying a lot easier if you can get plenty space between the subject and the green screen. This reduces the spill on the subject's head and shoulders.

U need full or half body shoot? Correct me if i am wrong.. reflecMedia may not be able to do a full body shoot.

One way U can try is paint your wall with the correct colour green or blue.. even the floor.
We used to do that.. but disadvantage is the floor will get dirty and have to repaint after some times. Besides lighting the screen evenly, you may want to throw some light to highlight the subject (talent).

i have also ever used a non-reflective and wrinkle free blue fabric with just Dedo lighting for a half body interview shoot.. results was surprisingly acceptable, but lighting is challenging.

experiment it! :)

my suggestion:

get a cloth, 3 point lighting system.
the trick is getting the subjects shadow not to fall on to the green cloth, thus 3 point lighting.

keylight, fill light and back light (bluehead for this)

or else... be a cheapo and ask media school... maybe like SAE institute or something:)

Status
Not open for further replies.