Greenman Lamp

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
Shooting products is not my forte. Decided to spend some time in practicing for it.

1. i like to seek feedback on how to improve the picture in terms of lighting, editing, composition, etc.

2. i am trying to achieve clean high key images that can be used for stock or catalog pictures or ads.

3. the pic was taken after dinner on a plastic stool in the kitchen. quite casual since i am experimenting.

4. i am undecided on the pic. i do not like the blown areas near the top but i like how the light on the green body wraps around it.

4838183780_963f717bc3_b.jpg

I have learnt that when giving comment on picture on critique corner, i cannot be too soft-hearted or else you can't learn anything.

Unless its an artistic shot, i speak from my heart to you, the photo is very empty, too bright/white. Can't see the lamp curtain.

I have learnt that when giving comment on picture on critique corner, i cannot be too soft-hearted or else you can't learn anything.

Unless its an artistic shot, i speak from my heart to you, the photo is very empty, too bright/white. Can't see the lamp curtain.

thanks. u mean u can't see the lamp shade?

I am no expert, but Looks like the top part of the lamp is over exposed blending with the white background.

thanks. i realised after i finished. any tips on how to avoid it?

Was the lamp switched on? Or mebbe avoid lighting the top area and cut off part of the light with gobos or snoots?

Was the lamp switched on? Or mebbe avoid lighting the top area and cut off part of the light with gobos or snoots?

it was not on. i can't turn it on as it does not belong to me. i was trying to get a lit effect with the lighting actually to mimic it being switched on.

i did not consider flagging the light. :think:

it was not on. i can't turn it on as it does not belong to me. i was trying to get a lit effect with the lighting actually to mimic it being switched on.

I think using a black background would work better, instead of white.

Using a black background definitely makes a big different.
I have the same problem when shooting black object using a black
background.

I see... it does have a lil of that effect but the problem is the blending with the BG, so mebbe a different coloured BG may have helped. :)

mmm ... u mean shooting with a blackground or editing a blackground on it?

Shooting with a black background.

It is either that, our you try to block out some light from the white background (so it will turn up grey) to make the shade stand out. There is just too much light causeing the shade to blend into the background. All I really see is the green thing.

I see... it does have a lil of that effect but the problem is the blending with the BG, so mebbe a different coloured BG may have helped. :)

but if i use a diff color bg, there will be color cast on the item? :think:

Shooting with a black background.

It is either that, our you try to block out some light from the white background (so it will turn up grey) to make the shade stand out. There is just too much light causeing the shade to blend into the background. All I really see is the green thing.

my idea was to use the strobe light to create an effect that the lamp is lit. but maybe it was a wrong choice of bg. :think:

but if i use a diff color bg, there will be color cast on the item? :think:

Not if the lighting is separately done.

I rarely see colour cast, unless the light is so strong that it bounces off the BG onto the subject.