Great times to be a birder

richiemccaw1

Feb 21, 2013
Singapore
Many relatively affordable long lenses in various mounts that have been released over the past 2-3 years, such as the Tamron/Sigma 150-600s, Nikon 200-500, Pany Leica 100-400, Oly 300, Canon 100-400 II. Coupled with cameras like 7D2 and the upcoming D500.

Pity the a6300 doesnt have a good native long lens option yet. I dont count the 70-200 GM coupled with a 2x TC as an option since that combo would cost a kidney too.

Nonetheless I feel the barriers to entry have really been lowered. Granted most of the affordable lens options are 'good light' lenses which means that the big primes with FF cameras still have a role to play. More people are now able to join in the fun. However this also means that whenever there is something notable to shoot, many people would be massed at these spots which may have a negative impact on the environment itself if we are not careful.

Many relatively affordable long lenses in various mounts that have been released over the past 2-3 years, such as the Tamron/Sigma 150-600s, Nikon 200-500, Pany Leica 100-400, Oly 300, Canon 100-400 II. Coupled with cameras like 7D2 and the upcoming D500.

Pity the a6300 doesnt have a good native long lens option yet. I dont count the 70-200 GM coupled with a 2x TC as an option since that combo would cost a kidney too.

Nonetheless I feel the barriers to entry have really been lowered. Granted most of the affordable lens options are 'good light' lenses which means that the big primes with FF cameras still have a role to play. More people are now able to join in the fun. However this also means that whenever there is something notable to shoot, many people would be massed at these spots which may have a negative impact on the environment itself if we are not careful.
Long lenses more easily affordable/accessible now, and hopefully in the meantime the birds have reproduced and made mroe birds to shoot!

Judging from the way we are losing our green areas, may not be that many left! It is nice to have new ones brought online like Coney Island and the Kranji Marshes but I think it remains to be seen what kind of impact the new places have on birds in general.

About 2 weeks ago, a friend of mine just broke his vow not to visit camera store anymore.

The damage? Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM.

He uses 7D, and needless to say he's a happy birder now.

About 2 weeks ago, a friend of mine just broke his vow not to visit camera store anymore.

The damage? Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM.

He uses 7D, and needless to say he's a happy birder now.

Never step into any camera shop after a vow.