Great Pix from P&S Compacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Does anyone have great pictures taken with those non-DSLR point & shoot compacts? If yes, care to share?

Keep hearing comments like "you don't need an expensive camera to take nice pictures". But have not been able to do it myself (with any camera :p). So, would like to see other people's success stories.

Thanx :)

zaren said:
hi....pls read Larry's old thread (should make it into a sticky!!!)

why bigger cams aren't always better

he has probably done so, that is why he is asking to see the results. you could ask him to see your lots and lots of great street/candid photos. :thumbsup:

go look at megaweb's gallery of macros.... some are taken with his A75. u will be hard-pressed the tell which pics are taken with the A75, which are taken with a D60, without looking at the Exif.

also see megaweb's wedding pics gallery... some are also taken with A75.

IIRC, some of wolfgang's portrait pics are also taken with a PnS.

Here is my contribution of 2 photos. Well, not that I am saying they are 'great pictures' as you mentioned, but many people told me they are okay for a point-n-shoot cammie. :embrass:

France%20-%20Chateau%20Versailles.jpg

London%20At%20Dusk.jpg

i remember looking at a french photographer's book which compiled 365 pictures from a year, one from each day. All the shots in the book were from a Olympus mju P&S. So... at least it's good enough for him and for the publisher. unfortunately i never remembered the title of the book...

renegade said:
Here is my contribution of 2 photos. Well, not that I am saying they are 'great pictures' as you mentioned, but many people told me they are okay for a point-n-shoot cammie. :embrass:

This is a "Great picture" from a PnS, nice colours and good shadow details. Sharp too.

frcfyp said:
he has probably done so, that is why he is asking to see the results. you could ask him to see your lots and lots of great street/candid photos. :thumbsup:

thx frcfyp.... i personally find compact p&s cams ideal for street and candids.
:cool:

renegade said:
zar, post some of your famous street photos here lah ... :thumbsup:

some old pics to share....
25833690.jpg

26662900.jpg

32459733.jpg

wow...

very nice shots!

well captured! was the indian man in the 3rd pic purely out of coincedence?

Some pics taken by a Pentax Optio S (3mp, the smallest and lightest 3mp P&S cam w/3x optical zoom when it came out ;) ):

12952IMGP0260_small.jpg

12952IMGP0253_small.jpg

12952IMGP0250_small.jpg

12952IMGP0231_small.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Stefen said:
wow...

very nice shots!

well captured! was the indian man in the 3rd pic purely out of coincedence?

thanks stefen.... the 3rd pic was taken when the indian man happened to walk under the "hand" in the poster next to the bus stop after crossing serangoon road.

ortega said:
This is a "Great picture" from a PnS, nice colours and good shadow details. Sharp too.

agreed.... :thumbsup:

renegade said:

this inspires me to do more on reflections and water element ... great picture :thumbsup:

renegade said:

London%20At%20Dusk.jpg

Hi renegade,
You show the eye. The camera is the tool.
With a reasonable P&S camera, great photo's are taken.

I think it comes down to the photographers eye and understanding.
Not the camera so much.

These photo's are 2 examples. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

nyxx88 said:
Does anyone have great pictures taken with those non-DSLR point & shoot compacts? If yes, care to share?

Keep hearing comments like "you don't need an expensive camera to take nice pictures". But have not been able to do it myself (with any camera :p). So, would like to see other people's success stories.

Thanx :)
There are 2 groups of ppl who fall into that category who said those words:
1) Ppl who know a lot about photography
2) Ppl who don't know about photography

Of cos, those who falls into the 2nd category probably won't know the real rationale of saying, "You don't need an expensive camera to take nice pictures." This you can tell easily by pressing them for the reasons in which they said that.

I wun say P&S is totally bad. Coming frm a P&S before I made the jump to DSLRs (I'm sure many of us do), the ability to do quick candids, snapshots and the ease of compositions without going too much into technicalities are juz a couple of reasons why a P&S wins over SLRs.

Wow!! Thank you everyone for sharing :).

I like renegade's reflection of a building & zaren's candid shots. They are inspiring to a newbie like me, as I cannot 'justify' the cost of a DSLR yet. Need to learn more first.

Status
Not open for further replies.